Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Citibank cancels CDNN account - for selling guns

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As part of my office job, I process bankruptcy cases and within the required, submitted paperwork are printouts of credit reports from one or more of the three major credit reporting agencies. You'd be APPALLED to see how many accounts (credit card or whatever) CITI is at the bottom of. Crap, they own half of everything--maybe more. <_<

I think I get about 2 offers a mo. from these slease balls trying to sign me on to one of thier cards. Each offer contains a postage paid envelope and a toll free ph# to respond to the offer. I think I will, in a polite way, start to use both. Enough folks join in on this effort could create a work load large enough to make them question the wisdom of this policy.---------Larry

This is the letter (with a copy of the CDNN letter) that I will be mailing back to them:

To: Citigroup, INC.

Thank you for your offer of credit services. The offer is quite attractive. However, since your policy towards certain customers was brought to my attention (see attached) I have formulated a new personal policy. Since I have no way of being certain that the Executive Management of Citigroup, INC. will conform to federal and local statutes, I will have to decline your offer.

Thank you

Nice!

If you don't mind, I'd like to use that!

In related news....

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080115/ap_on_...earns_citigroup

Citigroup may cut thousands of jobs

Citigroup Inc. is expected to announce thousands of job cuts after posting dismal results for the fourth quarter, when the bank's mortgage-riddled portfolio lost billions of dollars in value.

Citigroup swung to a loss of nearly $10 billion in the fourth quarter as it took a write-down of $18.1 billion for bad bets related to the mortgage industry, the bank said on Tuesday.

On the hunt for cash, the nation's largest bank said Tuesday it also got a $12.5 billion investment from outside investors, including $6.88 billion from the Government of Singapore Investment Corp.

Other investors were Capital Research Global Investors, Capital World Investors, the Kuwait Investment Authority, the New Jersey Division of Investment, shareholder Prince Alwaleed bin Talal of Saudi Arabia and former chief executive Sanford Weill and his family foundation.

Citigroup also took a net charge of $3.31 billion for loan-loss reserves in its U.S. consumer credit business_ primarily for delinquencies on mortgages, credit cards and auto loans. A year earlier it reversed $127 million in loan-loss reserves. Citi cited increasing signs of weakness among the consumer — something many others have pointed to as a potential indicator of a recession.

Fourth-quarter losses totaled $9.83 billion, or $1.99 per share, compared with earnings of $5.13 billion, or $1.03 per share, during the same quarter in 2006. Citigroup's revenue fell to $7.22 billion in the fourth quarter, down 70 percent from $23.83 billion generated during the final quarter of 2006.

Analysts polled by Thomson Financial, on average, forecast a loss of $1.03 per share for the quarter on revenue of $10.64 billion. The biggest loss estimate for the quarter was for a loss of $1.43 per share, while the lowest revenue estimate was for $6.47 billion.

Citigroup was hit hard for the second straight quarter by rising delinquencies and defaults in the mortgage market — especially among subprime loans given to customers with poor credit history. The New York-based bank cut the value of bonds and debt backed by the troubled loans by $18.1 billion. During the third quarter, Citigroup took about $6 billion in write-downs.

It was not all bad news for Citigroup, though, as the bank recorded record results in its international consumer, transaction services and wealth management segments.

International consumer revenue increased 45 percent, due to a 21 percent year-over-year increase in average deposits and a 30 percent jump in loan volume. Citigroup's international consumer unit also benefited from a $507 million pretax gain on Visa Inc. shares and a $313 million gain on the sale of Nikko Cordial's Simplex Investment Advisors.

Transaction services revenue increased to a record $2.29 billion, driven by growing customer volume.

For the full year, Citigroup posted net income of $3.62 billion, or 72 cents per share.

As part of a plan to boost capital on its balance sheet after the fourth-quarter losses, Citigroup said it raised $12.5 billion in new cash from outside investors, including $6.88 billion from the Government of Singapore Investment Corp.

Citigroup also cut its quarterly dividend to 32 cents per share from 54 cents per share to save money.

Shares of Citigroup fell 85 cents, or 2.9 percent, to $28.21 in premarket trading from a $29.06 close Monday.

I heard somewhere that the average credit card debit is around 30,000.00 dollars. Is this true? I stopped using my credit cards and paid them off. If I was late with one payment they cut off the card. How does someone get 30,000 in debt? How do they get more than 1 card? This serves them right for not making morally correct business decisions and loaning money to those who can't pay. Now they are writing letters like the one to CDNN. Almost like they want to stem the flow of firearms before the MAD MAX sceniero affects them.

Recent exchange between NSSF and Citi/First Data posted here:

http://www.nssf.org/

What a great response to Citi:

http://www.nssf.org/share/PDF/First_Data_Letter.pdf

In a nutshell:

CITI: "Please remove the story about us from your webpage - it is not accurate."

NFFS's Response. It is accurate. YOU are wrong AND your business practices are anti-gun. We are not removing the piece about your anti-gun actions. Get bent."

We need to nip CITI's actions in the bud or this could quickly get WAY out of hand.

maybe the beginning of Kharma..

Citibank report a loss of $9.83 billion for 4th quarter 2007..

their not in the red yet..but it hurts them..

I agree with Stu,

Let's keep up the pressure on Citi!!

Let's do balance transfers, pay off our CIT Cards and finally cancel all business relations with them.

Let them keep loosing money.

How can I let the NRA know about this?

Oh, I be the NRA knows by now!!

Did you happen to see the guys at arf.com???

They are whipping out the Torches and Pitchforks!!

Add me to the list of outraged peasants....pitchfork please :devil:

and can you say that in your Achmed the dead terrorest voice? :lol:

Jim

Add me to the list of outraged peasants....pitchfork please :devil:

and can you say that in your Achmed the dead terrorest voice? :lol:

Jim

Dude, I'm Pi$$ed, As soon as my Cash flow is stable, these card goes and so does my Mom's!!

And yes

SILENCE!!! I KEEL YOU!!

Y

Kinda hurt to do it, lost a percentage point on the mortage, but................................

Just refinanced it and am submiting a copy of the letter to them with the reason for closing out our account. :cheers:

BTW, I have a vat of oil heating on the stove right now :devil:

Kinda hurt to do it, lost a percentage point on the mortage, but................................

Just refinanced it and am submiting a copy of the letter to them with the reason for closing out our account. :cheers:

I'm cutting up all my old feather pillows Will. Put on some tar too! :)

Too bad you had to loose money, but you rock man!!

Let's keep it up!! I can't wait to close my cards and my Mom's!!

Y

If you worked for an enterprise that knew it was preparing to start foreclosing on thousands of homes and put thousands of POed people on the street while it lays off 24,000 of it's own POed employees, while it's CEO and board members continue to get paid millions in stock options and bonuses, you might want a few less guns out there too. :rolleyes:

• 4 weeks later...

Callled today to cancel my account at AT&T (Citibank actually runs the AT&T card). When I told them why I wanted to cancel the card the guy on the other end started arguing with me about their policy and how it was only apllicable to illegal gun purchases. I disagreed and told him to just cancel the account. He then went into a lecture about responsible firearms purchasing which he knew because "he was in the military." I was calm and just asked to cancel the account.

In any case another 1 less customer of Citibank and a new NRA card holder. By the way, after I explained to him my reasons he found an internal bulletin which gave them talking points. At least they know about it.

Callled today to cancel my account at AT&T (Citibank actually runs the AT&T card). When I told them why I wanted to cancel the card the guy on the other end started arguing with me about their policy and how it was only apllicable to illegal gun purchases. I disagreed and told him to just cancel the account. He then went into a lecture about responsible firearms purchasing which he knew because "he was in the military." I was calm and just asked to cancel the account.

In any case another 1 less customer of Citibank and a new NRA card holder. By the way, after I explained to him my reasons he found an internal bulletin which gave them talking points. At least they know about it.

GREAT WORK YOU GUYS! On another forum, there was a discussion about an account holder who also closed his account. He then phoned the CITI office to confirm and the office manager said they knew about it and the whole office was talking about that cancellation because the person actually followed through by closing the account. Just like writing to your reps, each cancellation tells CITI that there are hundreds of other account holders who feel the same but who don't (for whatever reason) cancell their accounts.

Add my name to the list of canceled CITI credit card holders. When I told the first rep I wanted to cancel, they asked me to hold and gave me a 2nd rep. I told that rep why I was canceling and he tried to tell my information was incorrect so I started reading the letter to CDDN and he started interrupting so I asked him to just cancel the card.

For ffl. How does a person get more than 1 credit card? I get 1 to 2 preapproved applications per week in the mail usually repeated each month from the same card companies. I think all it takes is to have a credit card that you are paying on each month with out being late and the credit rating bureaus selling mailing lists. I have 1 card that I have purchased guns with that has raised my credit limit to $15,000 because I keep paying it off.

When I told the first rep I wanted to cancel, they asked me to hold and gave me a 2nd rep. I told that rep why I was canceling and he tried to tell my information was incorrect so I started reading the letter to CDDN and he started interrupting so I asked him to just cancel the card.

That is the same thing that happened to me. I could not get in a word edgewise so I eventually just said cancel. Sounds like they calls are going to the same place. Hope they get the message.

I closed my little "Overseas account" today after reading the posts. It is time for my $ to come home in any case since they were sorely missed. It makes so much sense- just look at the -ZAR exchange rate. Frankenstuff will now get the full length dustcover I have been promising him