Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What's wrong with Caspian Hi-cap ?

TBF

I have not shot a caspian , other then a custom 38 Super open gun several years ago .

Why are they not more popular in Limited ?

I know the magwell and backstrap are different .

Mags only available from Caspian ? Do they work ?

The single stack I built on a Caspian frame turned out great .

So why are limited Caspians so seldom seen ?

Travis F.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Magazines, A company can figure out how to machine a frame and all other parts but for some reason they never got a handle on making or finding a source for reliable magazines. Every few years Caspian will announce they now have .40 Magazines. and supposedly the latest greatest ones work. Many people here will come running to their defense and tell you how great Caspian is but bottom line is what they did for years would be the same as Ford making cars without tires that used an oddball size. Then blaming the tire manufacturers.

Magazines, A company can figure out how to machine a frame and all other parts but for some reason they never got a handle on making or finding a source for reliable magazines. Every few years Caspian will announce they now have .40 Magazines. and supposedly the latest greatest ones work. Many people here will come running to their defense and tell you how great Caspian is but bottom line is what they did for years would be the same as Ford making cars without tires that used an oddball size. Then blaming the tire manufacturers.

Not running to their "defense" but I have never had issues with Caspian Mags. Even the frankenmags I made 15 years ago for my .40 S&W open gun that I made from .38 Super Mags.

It is interesting that people are paying to have their other manufactures mags tuned to work reliably in their S-I's. Go figure.

Alan

Mags have been a problem for sure. When you can't get them or have to modify something else to get them to work it IS a problem. I thought about building one a couple years ago but couldn't find 18-20 round 40 mags, so I didn't.

Mags are out now that work for the 40, I have seen them. I have a frame here and am thinking about what to do with it. I am thinking 6" Limited gun or Open gun. Jim Anglin can make a big stick for me if I make it an open gun, short mags are readily available.

The only downside to the frame I see is weight, they are heavy. I like light guns. I really don't know what I am going to do with it.

If I were in the market, caspian would probably be my first choice.

They couldn't make mags during the crime bill. Then, who is the market? LEO's...are buying Glocks, not frame kits. The small competition market...kinda cornered by STI and their (great marketing) contengency program.

Mags are out now that work for the 40, I have seen them. I have a frame here and am thinking about what to do with it. I am thinking 6" Limited gun or Open gun.

The only downside to the frame I see is weight, they are heavy. I like light guns. I really don't know what I am going to do with it.

Howard, it must be my giving nature, but I have a solution for you....how about you sell it to me, I'll send you some cool parts and then you can make me a 6" Limited gun with it? It would be bit heavier than what you like but probably perfect for me coming from a heavy 5" gun.....Come on, you know you'd like the challenge and just think, no deadline to have it done by since I'm primarily shooting Open all year :devil:

I wonder if Caspian sells the damascus slide in 6".....oh, I'd love to see that combo!

They couldn't make mags during the crime bill. Then, who is the market? LEO's...are buying Glocks, not frame kits. The small competition market...kinda cornered by STI and their (great marketing) contengency program.

Flex,

How was it that Caspian could not make mag bodies during the ban? My understanding was that components could be manufactured, however complete mags could not be sold. I had read (no solid confirmation) that Caspian CHOSE to not actively pursue manufacturing hi caps to insure their customers were not commiting illegal acts after the purchase of mag bodies ????

All in all too bad because it essentially gave S_I a ten year break from competition.

The mags always worked. Problem was the supply & parts then and into the future.

A thought on the old "AWB" magazine ban and the possibility of such bans in the future:

American gun and magazine owners were graciously "allowed" to keep the hicap mags they owned last time we had such a bill nation-wide.

"Granfathered" mags were often cited by BOTH opponents and supporters of the bill as one of its "flaws."

Do not expect the supporters of a future assault weapon or magazine bill to grandfather the mags you own now.

In any event, Caspian supports USPSA and thier parts make as good a limited or open gun as the STI or SV parts used by most competitors.

Sorry Flex,

hate to poke the bear, but....you likely don't go back far enough!

Clearly, they could have made & sold REPLACEMENT mag tubes like S_I(s) & others,

They decided to leave us high & dry......

I had two full house open caspian high-caps, they made no attempt to go beyond 19 rounds for 9MM/38 super, so we loyal caspian owners quickly found ourselves out gunned, then when the mag ban came...

forget it. No mags at all.

They make great frames, but they are clearly satisfied with their single stack frame & slide market.

Based on the past, if the political wind changes in November, I don't think you can count on them.

been there, lived it.

JH

Flex,

How was it that Caspian could not make mag bodies during the ban? My understanding was that components could be manufactured, however complete mags could not be sold. I had read (no solid confirmation) that Caspian CHOSE to not actively pursue manufacturing hi caps to insure their customers were not commiting illegal acts after the purchase of mag bodies ????

All in all too bad because it essentially gave S_I a ten year break from competition.

Craig,

Magazine parts could be manufactured but assembly of said parts constituted a Federal Felony. Replacement of parts was legal, ie rebuilding an existing mag.

Also, in 1994 after the Brady bill was signed, Caspian took 200 complete mags to the USPSA Nationals to have available for sale, and Caspian returned back to Vermont with those 200 mags.

Alan

I've always shot a Glock...light gun, with most all the weight in the slide. Anderson's Caspian open gun is old-school open gun...full 5 inch...ribbed barrel and full comp. He and I have been running the clock on each other for years...steel challenge, USPSA, whatever...

I don't see a performance disadvantage to a heavier gun. In fact, I'd say that a lighter gun requires a lot more refinement of grip and stance.

I'd say that a lighter gun requires a lot more refinement of grip and stance.

....... and I would agree with you.

My choice of light guns and why that is what I have decided to pursue would end up a major drift....

I'd say that a lighter gun requires a lot more refinement of grip and stance.

....... and I would agree with you.

My choice of light guns and why that is what I have decided to pursue would end up a major drift....

Right. Personal preference. I merely wanted to point out that it wasn't a downfall. While I, ironically, shoot a glock where all the weight is in the slide...having the weight in the frame and having a lighter reciprocating mass (slide) is certainly a viable choice.

Flex,

I'm not really in the know here, and I don't have a dog in the fight...

It seems I read the same thing. Hell, it might have been in the conversation (on the Caspian section of the 1911 forum) for all I remember.

Everybody and their brother knew that people were taking those mag bodies and build new mags from them during the ban. That was a felony, I think? It was pretty...macho...of the companies that did go ahead and make those mag bodies. They certainly risked getting sued...likely by a funded state or city with a political agenda. What is the upside? I can't fault a small business to devoting their resources towards their core business (1911 frames and slides).

Besides...they don't make their mags...even now. It's not like they can fire up the press and run a batch of 100 off, right?

I'd think that steel gun lovers would be all over this now that there are mags to be had.

They couldn't make mags during the crime bill. Then, who is the market? LEO's...are buying Glocks, not frame kits. The small competition market...kinda cornered by STI and their (great marketing) contingency program.

Sorry Flex,

hate to poke the bear, but....you likely don't go back far enough!

Clearly, they could have made & sold REPLACEMENT mag tubes like S_I(s) & others,

They decided to leave us high & dry......

I had two full house open Caspian high-caps, they made no attempt to go beyond 19 rounds for 9MM/38 super, so we loyal Caspian owners quickly found ourselves out gunned, then when the mag ban came...

forget it. No mags at all.

They make great frames, but they are clearly satisfied with their single stack frame & slide market.

Based on the past, if the political wind changes in November, I don't think you can count on them.

been there, lived it.

JH

No worries about "poking the bear"...that only applies to breaking the fourm rules. No problem with discussing a different opinion.

I go back far enough to have owned two Caspian open guns during the ban. I sold one to Anderson, who made grand master with it. I sold the other to fund a trip to the nationals one year (it has sat in the guys safe since then :(). Both had plenty of mags. Anderson has managed to find even more mags over the years. Open big sticks are a matter of welding two mags together. Not a turn-key solution, but then again...any caspain is a gunsmith project from the start.

I'd say mag availability is the only problem. This is less of a problem now, but in order to spike some interest a contingency program might be in order. Everything else being equal, Caspian's are probably the best 1911 design for small hands. If folks say the grips are funny angles for relods, that Travis kid is pretty quick with 'em and you'll never find ANYONE more loving of Caspians.

Rich

:rolleyes: Gee Im with Alan Meek on this one,I could allways find caspian mags during the bad years

Ive never had a problem with the mags, Ive got some 40 mags I made years ago still work

just fine, 170 mags were allways available.Caspian has allways been helpfull; as far as Im concerned

Caspian folks are a class act.

Im still using some of the Caspian mags I had before the ban.

I sorta feel that the SVI/STI grip lets the frame/metal part move,look at the rear of the grip on one thats got

lotsa rounds through it you can see where its been banging the plastic/polymer.

Dont have anything specific against any of the folks at SVI or STI in fact Dave Skinner and I

do some business now and then.

My old open Caspin gun has 13+ year of 38 super hot loads through and it will group real good .

Ive even got a 9X25 set up I shot for a while ruined a para frame shooting the 9x25

the Caspian frame didnt seem to mind 9x25 a bit, cant say that for my hand tho.

Sorta Like Chevy VS Ford just what a fella/Lady likes.

:devil::mellow:

Jim/PA

Sailors

I wonder if Caspian sells the damascus slide in 6".....oh, I'd love to see that combo!

Yes, they do. It is in the 2008 catalog anyway. So are .40 mags. Caspian is also a dealer here on the forum as of a week or so ago and have posted links to the 2008 catalog for those that need drooling material.

I really shouldn't look at that catalog. Nope. Really shouldn't.

Yes, they do. It is in the 2008 catalog anyway. So are .40 mags. Caspian is also a dealer here on the forum as of a week or so ago and have posted links to the 2008 catalog for those that need drooling material.

I really shouldn't look at that catalog. Nope. Really shouldn't.

Oh man, I shouldn't have looked! I was fine until I saw the price...nearly $800 :surprise: It's cool, but I'm not sure I could justify that much cool in a match gun!

I agree. They are a very well made gun, but the mag problem, or lack there of , is a nagging

problem. According to some of you replacement tubes of the 170mm variety are avaliable. I

would very much like to know where as I have been looking for the last couple of years with no

success.

it is a chevy vs ford thing

I've been running caspian open guns since 92 or 93, still use 5 out my 6 original mag every match. granted getting new mags were a problem, and I remember reading an article where gary smith stated he would not sell mag bodies because he did not want shooters risking a federal felony to compete in a GAME. it cost him a ton of money, but I respect him for standing on his principles.

I've read that the frame was designed by wil schumann, and unlike the other highcap frames, it was designed for the 9mm/38super round, as opposed the the para's and sti/svi which where built around the 45 round. the mags are easy to tune, and the new one come with instructions how to do so. also it pretty near impossible to over insert a mag in a caspian due to a steel ledge thats built in the frame that acts as a mag stop. the frame also has a magwell built in, egw sells an aftermarket one, which really make the opening huge.

I like heavy guns and every time I handle a sti they feel muzzle heavy and not balanced like my caspians, it also made me scratch my head when they started to install tungsten magwells on the sti to make them more butt heavy.