Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What's wrong with Caspian Hi-cap ?

TBF

There is nothing wrong with the Caspian wide body platform. It is a great platform to build on for a multitude of uses. The Caspian at one time was to gun to have, it won the World Shoot, Nationals, and many Area matches.

During the ban mags were not that hard to come by, I bought new mags during the ban for no more than $65.00 and $50.00 for used. I still have a dozen or two still in the wrapper. Now that Caspian (Tanfoglio) mags are readily availible there is no reason to dismiss the viability of this gun for IPSC shooting.

If you have a personal gripe with Caspian don't use them, there are plenty of other platforms out there to suit anyones fancy.

Rich

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now that Caspian (Tanfoglio) mags are readily availible

As the thread drifts, Are Caspian and Tanfoglio mags the same?

Does this mean the new Caspian mag I have will fit a Tanfoglio?

My understanding there are some minor differences, the mag catch slot and the mag was trimmed to fit the shelf that Caspian has to preven over insertment.

Alan

My understanding there are some minor differences, the mag catch slot and the mag was trimmed to fit the shelf that Caspian has to preven over insertment.

Alan

Can this new mag be tweaked to fit? I mean I have the thing but don't want to drop a couple of grand to build a gun for it but if it can be made to fit a $500 gun we can handle that. :goof:

Alan

Can this new mag be tweaked to fit? I mean I have the thing but don't want to drop a couple of grand to build a gun for it but if it can be made to fit a $500 gun we can handle that. :goof:

Another option,

Area 8 will raffle off a Custom Caspian Hi-Cap .40 at the Area 8 Championships Sponsored by Techwear USA in May. Gun is being built by Kevin Greeley in VA Greeley Custom with the proceeds from the raffle donated to the USPSA Junior program. More info on the Match Application available at here

:rolleyes:

Ive found that the TZ mags should mostly be trimmed at the top to fit the shelf and side pads in the Caspian

Hi-Cap frame and ya shouldnt trimm or polish the frame itself at the top, the side pads actually hold

the mag in place for the mag release to get in place in the mag,

If any of ya decide to use the TZ mags you can contour the top of them like the 19 round caspian mags

then put them in the frame and do the finish fitting from how they are fitting up in the frame. If ya

do to much to the mag catch slot in the TZ mags you might get a mag thats locking in too low and start

having nose into the ramp feeding problems.

Ill be gald to talk any of yas through it, Ive been messing around with caspian mags in many

configurations for some time , Just like alan Meek has and Im very fond of the Caspian products

so Ill help ya if ya want. :mellow::blink:

Jim/PA :rolleyes::blink::wacko:

Sailor

How about Glock's stance on the 3.5 pound connector. Call Glock and try to get one.

True, but I put that more in the category of "scared of liability" rather than "choosing to limit what legal level of legal firepower a civilian may purchase". But, Glock as been at the forefront supporting civilian gun ownership and, unlike Ruger, never requested a federal limit on magazine capacity.

There is nothing wrong with the Caspian wide body platform. It is a great platform to build on for a multitude of uses. The Caspian at one time was to gun to have, it won the World Shoot, Nationals, and many Area matches.

Not that it means anything, but has a STI or SV frame won the World Shoot? Not in Open. Standard? Voigt in '99, I think. Modified? I dunno.

2. Caspian refused to sell hi-cap replacement bodies during the 1994CB era. Gary's reasons are his own, but I'm sure had something to do with folks illegally building new hi-cap mags and potentially putting Caspian in a legal dilemma. We all know that no felonies were committed with hi-cap tubes from STI and SVI during the CB. :rolleyes:

Actually, every single time one of those "replacement" tubes was turned into a complete magazine that wasn't an honest repair/replace job, a felony was committed. ;)

I can't even imagine how many thousand times that must have happened. I'm guessing Gary was thinking it could be a threat to his company if they did something similar and ATF decided to start digging into what was going on.

Do I think they were used by dangerous criminals? No, and I'm sure nobody got hurt because of them, but it was illegal just the same...and that's coming from someone who thought the whole AWB deal was ridiculous.

I haven't been keeping up with the Caspian mag threads. Is there 'really" a new and working Caspian mag available now?

I love the way a Caspian feels in hand - nice and solid in my big mitts. I bought one 3 or 4 years ago with the intention of using it for IDPA ESP class but found there was no way it would ever make the weight limit... If the mag supply is truly straightened out I will have another one soon to see how it works for me in Limited...

I haven't been keeping up with the Caspian mag threads. Is there 'really" a new and working Caspian mag available now?

I love the way a Caspian feels in hand - nice and solid in my big mitts. I bought one 3 or 4 years ago with the intention of using it for IDPA ESP class but found there was no way it would ever make the weight limit... If the mag supply is truly straightened out I will have another one soon to see how it works for me in Limited...

Merlin..... Looky Looky

Caspian Mags

A gunsmith friend of mine is shooting Limited division with one he built, he likes it. He thinks it is better than the STI gun he was using. I'm still not sold...old mag situation left a bad taste in my mouth and I have no complaints with my Edge.

Buddy

I'm considering a Caspian for a "fun gun". Everything you could ever want to know about Caspian mags is found by e-mailing Travis Tomasie. Kid is obsessed with them.

On a side note. Jim (Anglin)...when are you gonna get a website?

Rich

:surprise:

Well Im 64 years old and supposed to be retired dont need to advertise I stay so busy I dont have time

to do much of anything anymore,,, not complaining I really enjoy seeing my guns bring smiles to

folks , Ive thought about the Web site but I dont think I can stand the extra business it might bring in,

I started this just to help out locally,my shrink at the VA said I needed to do something to help keep

the dreams curbed in my head so I started shooting then gunsmithing, I have a ball doing the gunsmithing and I enjoy the

heck out of the shooters around the world, If I had a web site you all would run me to an earlier grave than

Im ready to have.

Thanks

Jim/Pa :blink::devil:

They also refused to work with gun owners during the Brady Bill and I think many haven't forgotten.

All the "Brady Bill" did was setup the waiting period and background check. I think you're referring to the AW ban. In any event, how did Caspian "refuse" to work with gun owners? I had a Caspian at the time and when I bought my frame, I was able to buy 6 hi-cap mags from them. None of the other wide-frame manufactures were doing that, IIRC. From what I understood at the time, when word came down that new >10 rnd mags would be banned, Caspian cranked up production of hi-cap mags, so that they would have hi-cap mags to sell w/ their frames once the AW ban went into effect. I don't think that any other manufacture did that.

They also refused to work with gun owners during the Brady Bill and I think many haven't forgotten.

All the "Brady Bill" did was setup the waiting period and background check. I think you're referring to the AW ban. In any event, how did Caspian "refuse" to work with gun owners? I had a Caspian at the time and when I bought my frame, I was able to buy 6 hi-cap mags from them. None of the other wide-frame manufactures were doing that, IIRC. From what I understood at the time, when word came down that new >10 rnd mags would be banned, Caspian cranked up production of hi-cap mags, so that they would have hi-cap mags to sell w/ their frames once the AW ban went into effect. I don't think that any other manufacture did that.

Quite an interesting point of view really. The bottom line is that everyone had major problems with magazine availability from Caspian around that time. Most of us felt somewhat abandoned by Caspian.

Quite an interesting point of view really. The bottom line is that everyone had major problems with magazine availability from Caspian around that time. Most of us felt somewhat abandoned by Caspian.

I started shooting in the early 80's, back then shotgun news was just about the only source for shooting stuff. back then there was a bunch of adds for replacement parts for class III guns. one ad would sell replacement suppressor tubes, another a few pages later would sell the replacement endcaps and internal parts. does this sound kind of familiar? well the atf, put 2 & 2 together by who knows ?, comparing shipping invoices?, threatening the venders?, maybe an atf sting? and guys went to jail for it.

if you don't like caspian for not working with us, so be it, had things gone the other way, and the atf started to knock on doors, you'd be thanking gary for walking the strait and narrow

Like I said in the Uninteded Consequences thread; 09-14-1994 was a Different Place, a Different Time.

I can vividley remember stopping the UPS driver that day to get my LAST Caspian magazines.

I saved my receipts and keep them in my range bag.

No one knew how far this was going to go.

FM

• 4 weeks later...
You need a gun "manufacturer" to use the frames, sell complete guns and they would make sure there would be magazines...no magazines...no gun sales.

I have heard from a very reliable source that a "known" gunsmith will be offering for sale a complete Caspian Limited gun. An official announcement should be forthcoming prior to the Shot Show.

Alan

Les Baer's move is to another state, but only 13 miles from his present location. He has a double stack now. It is a Caspian frame and Caspian's unusual grip safety. The grip felt large in my hands, but no larger than a Para. I wish he would have used STI's frame.

Buddy

anybody heard of Bruce Piatt? :surprise:

he is a pretty good shooter and he shoots a Caspian. :rolleyes:

I am just finishing up fitting my barrel bushing on my new TLSO Hoser. parts courtesy(sp) of Caspian, Kart and others. Can't wait to take it out and Shoot the blazes out of it.

anybody heard of Bruce Piatt? :surprise:

he is a pretty good shooter and he shoots a Caspian. :rolleyes:

I am just finishing up fitting my barrel bushing on my new TLSO Hoser. parts courtesy(sp) of Caspian, Kart and others. Can't wait to take it out and Shoot the blazes out of it.

There is another guy too, Travis Tomasie :cheers: