Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Pistol Grip Stock on Rem 1100?

mcb

So my winter project is building up and old Remington 1100 into my 3-gun shotgun for this coming season. I have been using a BPS Stalker but got a very good deal on the 1100.

So far here's what I have done. I changed out the 30 inch fixed full vent rib choke barrel for a 26 inch vent rib barrel with Rem Chokes. I have added a set of William Rifle sights to the rib. I am going to add a DMW easy load gate and a Nordic (or DMW) +6 magazine extension and barrel clamp to make it even with the 26 inch barrel (plugged down to 8+1 for Limited). I will also add an oversize bolt handle likely a Choate combat handle.

The wood stock it came with is a rough (scuffed and dinged finish and a little water damage at the butt plate) but is solid and very functional. So do you think I should just give it a paint jobe (likely loud and obnoxious) or is it worth the money to invest in a synthetic stock with a pistol grip? In 3-gun is the pistol grip a big advantage or just one of those personal preference things?

thanks

mcb

I have tried a pistol on my 870 and it helpled for a tighter grip

while pumping. Other then that I dont like the pistol grip as I

think a shotgun fits the shoulder better without one. I think you

point and mount faster without one.

Switched away from the pistol grip. Also got the extended handle for my 1100, my son had it fly off during a course of fire at the Rocky Mountain 3-gun. Never located it again. Have been using the original charging handle and it stays put. I would never switch back again. Did look cool though :rolleyes: .

Remmy's are heavy....period.....AND....if you are looking to load weak hand, you'll want a pistol grip (seems easier to keep the gun up).

However, if you are going to load strong hand only....a loud paint job seems in order, but heaven forbid.....NO solid pink or yellow!!!!

Remmy's are heavy....period.....AND....if you are looking to load weak hand, you'll want a pistol grip (seems easier to keep the gun up).

However, if you are going to load strong hand only....a loud paint job seems in order, but heaven forbid.....NO solid pink or yellow!!!!

WHAT???.....No Pink :huh:

Jim :blush:

I have a pistol grip on my 11-87 and like it.....I load weak hand. The one thing that I don't like about it is that the stock now needs to be loosened to take the trigger group out. Not a huge deal, just a bit of a pain. I agree with dirty chamber that I think I can point and mount the shotgun faster with a conventional stock, but as far as what we are using it for, it's all a reloading contest with some shots thrown in between. For the price of one, throw it on and run a case of shells through your gun and see what you think. If you don't like it, head to the classifieds and dump it.

WHAT???.....No Pink :huh:

Jim :blush:

Maybe on the inside.-------------Larry :rolleyes:

Switched away from the pistol grip. Also got the extended handle for my 1100, my son had it fly off during a course of fire at the Rocky Mountain 3-gun. Never located it again. Have been using the original charging handle and it stays put. I would never switch back again. Did look cool though :rolleyes: .

HAHAHA!!!!! Yep I was there. We must have looked for that for quite awhile sarge. It helped me not get beat by junior there though. I can't wait to shoot with you guys again, I have a feeling your son might get my number next time. I seem to be getting older and I'm sure he is just getting better. :)

Jay

I had one of those adjustable AR CAR stocks for my 870. During a stage with some slugs the pistol grip came off

cutting the web of my hand pretty good. I countinued to finish the stage without the grip but the stock was a bloody

mess.

The knurled threads just pulled out of the plastic handle leaving an exposed stud..

Its a personal thing. I love pistol grip stocks - for me, they increase my control while not in any way slowing me down. For the record, I "turn and burn", cupping the receiver in my weak hand and feeding shells one at a time with my strong hand, and am very competitive. Avoid the AR15 stock adapters, which put your head too high. I like the older-style Choate stock:

3-GunShotgun.jpg

Why do they make 'em look so ugly?

Are you talking about me or my shotgun ? The stock is the older Choate model (before they added the adjustable length feature). It is styled after the FN-FAL. I like the look a lot, and it feels great in the hand.

Slight thread drift, but related...

Does anybody know who makes a Pistol Grip stock for a 1100/1187 LT20 (the smaller frame 20 gauge)? Everything I'm finding is either a standard replacement stock or for the bigger guns. Can a 12 gauge pistol grip stock be modified to fit the 20 gauge?

TIA

Edited by Filishooter

I shoot a straight stock on my JP open shotgun that I only reload strong hand, but, I put a pistol grip stock on my 1100 Competitionmaster because I can't hold it up with the straight stock to do weak hand reloads.

I also believe the straight stock points better, but, the pistol grip has better control.

I've been considering getting a Benelli M2, in 20 gauge. One of these days, I'll run across somebody locally that has one I can try. I shot an M1, 12 gauge once, and although I liked that it was light enough to hold up to do weak hand reloads, the shoulder that my Dr. wants to do surgery on, didn't like it at all, which is why I still shoot the 1100s.

Thanks for all the replies guys, for know I am sticking with the factory stock. I stripped it last week and finishing the new paint job. It will be bright read with the pressed checkering filled in with spray on rubberized paint for traction. I will post pictures when its complete.

mcb

No LT20 stocks that I know of.

You can mod the 12ga stock...the LT 20 is .110 smaller than 12ga side to side.

Jim

Thanks. I got my SpeedFeed 4S and got it to fit the LT nicely. Verdict is still out on which I prefer as I haven't shot it yet, but handling it and practicing reloads I can say its easy for me to keep the gun shouldered while loading 5 at time weakhand probably because of the lighter weight of the 20 up front. It seems to point well for me, same as the standard stock. I don't expect much difference in recoil control since the 20 didn't really kick much to begin with.