Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

XL650 Tips and Tricks

ErikW

Poor man's powder check - I mounted a small AA flashlight on the top of the tool head so it shines down through the #3 hole directly into the cases.

The mirror on the ceiling tip for the case feeder is a good one. I mounted a convex stick-on mirror made for cars.

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Greetings all,

I found the quoted information below an interesting read... and am wondering how effective the latest release from Uniquetek (& Whidden Gunworks) really is....

The item can be found here:

uniquetek.com/site/696296/product/T1389

Anyone have thoughts? Experience or advise?

Hope all is well!

~Robin

I got my pinned, precision toolhead in and set it up for .45ACP

It's no harder to setup than the Dillon and might take a whopping 45 seconds longer to install.

Seems very precise and locks-down really nicely.

Ran 100, measured the OAL against OAL with the same dies run on the same press with the Dillon toolhead.

Results were surprising. The Uniquetek toolhead produced only a very slightly tighter OAL tolerance.

Certainly not enough to replace your Dillon toolheads.

Since I had already fixed my problem of the shell not lining up with the sizing die in Station 1, I don't need the precision for that (and my other calibers never had the problem).

Dillon toolhead:

Mean: 1.1991

Range: 0.012 (difference between longest and shortest OAL)

Min: 1.193

Max: 1.205

Standard Deviation: 0.0027

Uniquetek toolhead:

Mean: 1.1976

Range: 0.010 (difference between longest and shortest OAL)

Max: 1.203

Standard Deviation: 0.0022

• 1 month later...

Greetings all,

I found the quoted information below an interesting read... and am wondering how effective the latest release from Uniquetek (& Whidden Gunworks) really is....

The item can be found here:

uniquetek.com/site/696296/product/T1389

Anyone have thoughts? Experience or advise?

Hope all is well!

~Robin

I got my pinned, precision toolhead in and set it up for .45ACP

It's no harder to setup than the Dillon and might take a whopping 45 seconds longer to install.

Seems very precise and locks-down really nicely.

Ran 100, measured the OAL against OAL with the same dies run on the same press with the Dillon toolhead.

Results were surprising. The Uniquetek toolhead produced only a very slightly tighter OAL tolerance.

Certainly not enough to replace your Dillon toolheads.

Since I had already fixed my problem of the shell not lining up with the sizing die in Station 1, I don't need the precision for that (and my other calibers never had the problem).

Dillon toolhead:

Mean: 1.1991

Range: 0.012 (difference between longest and shortest OAL)

Max: 1.205

Standard Deviation: 0.0027

Uniquetek toolhead:

Mean: 1.1976

Range: 0.010 (difference between longest and shortest OAL)

Max: 1.203

Standard Deviation: 0.0022

Consider how the Dillon toolhead functions on the machine. As you pull the handle down the ram rises as does the shell plate. The shell plate holds cartridges in various states of completion and the cartridges enter their particular die. In doing so the dies and the tool head are pushed upward in the 650 frame. The tool head can ONLY rise to the top of the U shaped slot in the frame that holds the tool head. The tool head will rise the exact same distance each time unless a piece of debris (powder, dirt, etc.) finds it's way between the top of the tool head locating "U"shaped tenon (for lack of a better term) that is around the outside of the tool head and the top of the "U" shaped locating slot machined into the frame. In my opinion this is highly unlikely.

After understanding the above I honestly consider the replacement of the tool head, and even securing it as in UniqueTeks additional kit will do, as a waste of money.

Pat

• 1 month later...

Easy fix for the Primer Catch Thingie:

Go to Lowes - buy one of these and some 1/2" clear tubing (both can be had under $5.00 total)

pre_1310855297__imgp0522.jpg

Take off primer catch plate and install above piece, attached tubing and run to bottle - BAM you are done. No more primers flying all over the place.

pre_1310855290__imgp0521.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I just performed a primer catcher mod on a 650 yesterday.

Take a 38 Special case and drill out the primer pocket. File down 2 sides of the rim, they go into the slot on the table. Drop the case into a 3/8" flat washer. Remove the primer catcher bracket and place the washer and case on the top of the slot. Reinstall the bracket and attach the plastic tube.

The case will be loose but it doesn't matter. It works just fine.

Edited by RePete

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Folks,

Just got my 1st Dillon yesterday - a 650. Now that it's here, I got some measurements to figure the proper ergonomic height for the bench top for me (5'11").

With the "Strong Mount" the bench top height numbers I get are:

Standing - 40"

Sitting - 8" above chair seat.

That ended up being a bit lower than the suggested "top of handle at shoulder height" I read somewhere in Brian's Forums. For me it ended up something like "top of (roller) handle at armpit height." Not sure which way I'll go. My shotgun set-up (Ponsness-Warren 850) is set for standing. I'm leaning towards a standing bench for this installation of the 650, but the set-up will allow the benchtop height to be changed pretty easily if I decide to do it. I'll post the results in the "loading benches" topic when I get done.

Maybe that will help.

~~~

*** I also have extracted and organized all the threads in this topic according to titles such as "General" "Shell Plate Related" "Casefeeder" and so on. I tried to cut essentially duplicate things, and deleted things that were posted but subsequently found to be incorrect or ineffective. I did not try and keep all the poster's names or the post dates, just the "meat" of the posts, and pictures where

relevant. I did this mostly for my benefit, but someone else may benefit from it. The result is about a 30 page PDF file.

I am not exactly sure about forum protocol or the legality or ethics of recompiling others writings and putting them back out there. Since it is not-for-profit and "educational use," the legal part should be OK.

If anyone objects, PM me back soon and I will not make it available. If I don't hear any dissenting opinions (or ones that can be resolved), I'll finish touching it up and see if Brian will put the PDF document somewhere on the forum that is easily located (maybe a pinned post with the link in the Dillon Equipment forum section.

Good shooting to all. Regards,

Randy

Idaho Falls

• 4 weeks later...

Go to Lowes - buy one of these and some 1/2" clear tubing (both can be had under $5.00 total)

pre_1310855297__imgp0522.jpg

Take off primer catch plate and install above piece, attached tubing and run to bottle - BAM you are done. No more primers flying all over the place.

pre_1310855290__imgp0521.jpg

:bow: :bow:

Look no further than this post, No need to modify anything or cut a case or anything the plastic fitting was $2.45 and the tubing was $.37/Ft

• 2 months later...

Actually only $2.82 out the door for the fitting and two feet of tubing.cheers.gif

This is cool, but what is the "Funnel" or whateverthattherethingisthatyougotstuffedupundertherethatyouattachedyouradaptorandhoseto..? !? Lol..!

I actually went to the hardware store looking for a different solution to the primer cup replacement mod. Someday I might try to get some pictures posted but until then I'll draw the best picture I can.

Same general theory as the plastic QD fitting just discussed but instead I found a bronze flange bushing 3/8 IDx1/2 OD with a 5/8 flange. It's 1" long. I used the same 1/2 ID vinyl tubing and held it tight with a small clamp.

Ace hardware has them for $3.80

I had to use the dremel to make some tiny relief cuts right up under the flange in order for it to fit onto the tabs on the primer cup bracket.

It is a much tighter setup than the plastic fitting. It's actually rock solid. Make sure you center it under the primer hole before you tighten it down.

I just tried to post a picture from the web but the board won't allow it to post.

Just put bronze flange bushing in google.

I picked up a UniqueTek Spent Primer Chute from a prize table recently. It is quick and simple to install, and works great. Probably not measurably superior to the better field-expedient alternatives described here, but it is an off the shelf solution and looks like it belongs there:

UniqueTekXL-650PrimerChute1.jpg

UniqueTekXL-650PrimerChute2.jpg

To keep the unwanted primers on the ski jump, I put a piece of bike inner tube over the end:

XL-650SkiJumpCover.jpg

XL-650SkiJumpCoverinstalled.jpg

To catch the crumbs that fall out of the case feeder, I simply put a large Akro bin underneath. It catches everything that falls out of the case feeder, plus it gives me a trash receptacle for other refuse priduced during the loading process:

XL-650trashreceptacle.jpg

To keep the vacuum collar in place on my trimmer, I use a couple of cable ties:

XL-650RT-1200VacuumCollar.jpg

Hope this is helpful :)

• 4 weeks later...

The primers on the floor issue. I'm to lazy or cheap and or both so I just took some painters tape and raised the back of the cup 1/4 of an inch. Just fold it over on itself and my problems were solved. Seriously, then when you empty it and replace the cup take a pencil and push the folded tape bake up again. I have thousands and thousand of rounds without an issue now.

After using my 650 for about a year now,

I'd noticed that the (9mm) case would not always go into (line up with) the sizing die, because it didn't completely seat in the shell plate, causing a jam on the upstroke. After a bunch of loads, I began to sense a certain frequency of jams so I started counting strokes between the jams. It turns out that there was enough powder being bounced out of my 9's (I load Bullseye, which splashes out of the cases at positions 3 and 4) I began to suspect that there was something in the plate to keep the case from seating all the way home. I removed the plate and sure enough, there were a bunch of powder grains in the shell grooves preventing the cases from fully seating. Cleaned the stuff out and no more problems there. I don't have this problem with the 45 setup (yet) even tho I load Bullseye in them too.

I also have some problems with some of the allen screws coming loose, or when I change calibers, having to find the right size allen wrench. I solved the problem by taking a fine point SHARPIE marker that marks permanently on ANYTHING and wrote the size next to every allen on the machine. Makes for quicker, easier change-overs.

I don't have a powder check assembly for each of my different caliber setups so I have to use my one check assembly but with different rods for 9 and 45. (I also have only one of the check rod sleeves) so I put 2 jam nuts on the check rods UNDER the sleeve (Dillon shows them on top of the sleeve) and set the proper depth and locked them in place. Now all I have to do is take the sleeve off one rod and put it on the other so it always stops at the right place with no readjusting necessary unless I change to a different powder. Makes it a lot quicker.

So.. I did my 'lil "Powder Check Light", got my scrap primer's taken care of

a few days ago and also did an under $8.00 loaded round counter...

2012-01-28172925.jpg

The counter took a bit of trial & error, but now is correct and works great w/ no snags!! :ph34r:

Edited by gunfixer

• 1 month later...

I am not interested in paying for a bullet feeder but I was thinking of a tube similar to the primer tube that you could fill will bullets (maybe 20 or so). So it would be very similar to the auto bullet feeder but you would be the one dropping them in the tube.

has anybody done this? Pictures? Materials?

I am not interested in paying for a bullet feeder but I was thinking of a tube similar to the primer tube that you could fill will bullets (maybe 20 or so). So it would be very similar to the auto bullet feeder but you would be the one dropping them in the tube.

has anybody done this? Pictures? Materials?

Why not just adapt a Lee unit?

I am not interested in paying for a bullet feeder but I was thinking of a tube similar to the primer tube that you could fill will bullets (maybe 20 or so). So it would be very similar to the auto bullet feeder but you would be the one dropping them in the tube.has anybody done this? Pictures? Materials?

Here you go $28 feeder

• 3 weeks later...