Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ain't nature great?

tightloop

As I was loading my groceries in my truck, I saw a broadtailed hawk swoop down and snatch a pigeon off the parking lot and fly away with his lunch...

Nature has it right...if you don't want to be lunch, be on the lookout for hawks...goes for people too, not just pigeons.

Edited by tightloop

We had a similar bird of prey nail something in the field in front of our house this summer. It was a big hard to tell (tall grasses) but it looked like it left off with a crow.

I was out in the yard working and I had spied the bird of prey (don't know what it was). When I noticed him, I was probably taking a break and leaning on a shovel, he was waaaaay up in the air and well off of my location. Thirty seconds later, he was gathering up his lunch 30y away from me.

Pretty cool.

We had a similar bird of prey nail something in the field in front of our house this summer. It was a big hard to tell (tall grasses) but it looked like it left off with a crow.

I was out in the yard working and I had spied the bird of prey (don't know what it was). When I noticed him, I was probably taking a break and leaning on a shovel, he was waaaaay up in the air and well off of my location. Thirty seconds later, he was gathering up his lunch 30y away from me.

Pretty cool.

It it made off with a crow it had to be a pretty big raptor...but they are very cool....

It certainly could have been something else. It was a black bird that was far bigger than I thought possible. I tried, but he wouldn't let me get a look. He made off to the trees with it.

I was really amazed the he'd been waay over there just a moment before, then BAM.

We have LOTS of eagles in my area. They are a thrill to see. You know it's a eagle when it soars so high and looks like it doesn't have a head. The white head disapears at those heights.

This Summer one hit the surface ot the lake I live on during a busy Labor Day weekend grabbing a good size fish and taking it up into the blue. He (or she) seemed to be unphased by the water skiers and jet skis.

A neighbor this past spring watched her Jack Russell get carried aloft from her back yard. The eagle took the poor yelping pup up to about 400 feet and dropped him. That's a favorite way to kill their prey and break up the bones at the same time. The owner got to the dog before the eagle did.... but it was far too late at that point.

Nature has it right...if you don't want to be lunch, be on the lookout for hawks...goes for people too, not just pigeons.

Pigeons are the equivilant of sheep ........... if you're not paying attention to the world around you, tommorow you could be someone's sweater.

Even though we have a few raptors here, we're more densely populated out here in the prairie-type habitats by water birds. And ever since the dumber animals (humans) began to feed the loitering Canada Geese in the early 1990s, we now have literally (I kid you not) THOUSANDS upon zillions of these big fat losers overrunning our fields and generally getting in the way and eating up all the grass and every other vegetable item in sight. If someone wants to import a horde of large raptors into our area, then please DO. The goose pool needs thinning really badly. :angry2: It has all the characteristics of the rabbits-in-Australia problem.

A guy named Vince that worked a job with me '99-2000 was a Falconer. He took me out hunting after work one day. I flushed some ducks out of an irrigation pond and his bird took the trailing drake right out of the air. Vince gave me the play-by-play the whole time. It was the most amazing thing I'd seen as far as birds of prey are concerned. Turns out Vince was a convicted felon early in his life but couldn't get hunting out of his system. Found another system is what he did. He let me keep the duck too!

A guy named Vince that worked a job with me '99-2000 was a Falconer. He took me out hunting after work one day. I flushed some ducks out of an irrigation pond and his bird took the trailing drake right out of the air. Vince gave me the play-by-play the whole time. It was the most amazing thing I'd seen as far as birds of prey are concerned. Turns out Vince was a convicted felon early in his life but couldn't get hunting out of his system. Found another system is what he did. He let me keep the duck too!

Good for Vince, at least he was not holding up a liquior store...

I was on the Rogue River years ago and watched a falcon dive from about 200 ft. and pluck a steelhead like it was a toothpick.

Watching raptors catch fish is very cool...the Bald Eagles are not much more than thieves though...when I watched them in Canada and Alaska the Ospreys did all the catching and the eagles did all the stealing and most of the eating...

It is just as cool watching a Kestrel catch a grasshopper...they just have to have some prey they can handle...

Edited by tightloop

Got home from work at 0200 hrs. Pulling in the driveway I see a very large skunk in beams of my headlights. As I sat there thinking of how to remove the beast without leaving any aroma, a Great Horned Owl swooped into vision and snatched the skunk into the air. The skunk was the size of a large coon and the owl didn't even slow down its flight to pick it off the ground. Amazing power and athletic ability.

My wife set up a couple bird feeders and she attracted a flock of sparrows that number 60 or more. We live right off a wet land preserve and get some interesting wild life. We have seen red-tail and sparrow hawks and the occasional peregrine swoop in for a sparrow snack. The little birds sit in the bougainvillea which offers some protection. The aerobatics of the hawks are just amazing as they try to snatch the sparrows amoung those nasty thorns!

On opening day of our dove season this year I had an unforgettable

experience involving a red tailed hawk. We were shooting doves at

a pretty good clip. My friend was sitting in his wheel chair with

his back against a tall wood line. I was beside him a short distance away.

We had seen the hawk circling high up amidst all the shooting and

commented on his lack of fear with doves dropping out of the sky regularly.

About 15 minutes later I shot a dove that was going to hit the ground about

30 feet in front of us. Just before the dove hit the field we saw a big blur

as the hawk snatched up the dove at the instant it hit the ground. Without

missing a beat the hawk swooped up over the tree line and was gone. The

experience left us speechless for a few moments unitil we looked at each

other and both said "did you see that"? The speed at which the whole thing

happened was such that it was hard to belive what we had seen.

We both agreed that this was not the first opening day the hawk had observed.

I had heard of hawks finding lost birds after a hunt. I guess this was too hungry

to wait.

I had heard of hawks finding lost birds after a hunt. I guess this was too hungry

to wait.

did you count that one on your limit?....and yes, bet the hawk had seen Opening Day B4...my buddy tells the same story about eagles and duck hunting...eagle sitting in a dead tree, couple hundred yds from the pothole where they were shooting ducks...one of them pops a teal and just as it hits the water, zoom here comes the eagle and the teal is history...

During my 25 years straight of bowhunting in South Dakota before I moved to Arizona I got the chance to watch all kinds of birds of prey in action and it is a sight to see that is often hard to describe later.

The best though was while sitting in a treestand bowhunting watching the whitetail approaching my way when all of a sudden a eagle lands off to my right in my tree about six feet away from me. They are huge and amazing that close up, not sure who freaked out more the bird or me. I got to see Bald Eagles 3 times in the wild close up but never had a camera to save the moment.

Watching nature is what I miss most about not hunting anymore, maybe someday I will go again.

During my 25 years straight of bowhunting in South Dakota before I moved to Arizona I got the chance to watch all kinds of birds of prey in action and it is a sight to see that is often hard to describe later.

The best though was while sitting in a treestand bowhunting watching the whitetail approaching my way when all of a sudden a eagle lands off to my right in my tree about six feet away from me. They are huge and amazing that close up, not sure who freaked out more the bird or me. I got to see Bald Eagles 3 times in the wild close up but never had a camera to save the moment.

Watching nature is what I miss most about not hunting anymore, maybe someday I will go again.

Bet that was really fine.

to wait.

did you count that one on your limit?....and yes, bet the hawk had seen Opening Day B4...my buddy tells the same story about eagles and duck hunting...eagle sitting in a dead tree, couple hundred yds from the pothole where they were shooting ducks...one of them pops a teal and just as it hits the water, zoom here comes the eagle and the teal is history...

Yes, a bird taken is a bird taken. There was a time that I would not have counted

the dove against my limit. I am in that phase of hunting that I am enjoying the

hunt and the shared experience as opposed to being driven to fill a limit. Same

goes with my fishing. For several years now my fishing has been 99% catch and

release.

I am getting a great deal of enjoyment from getting my lifelong hunting and fishing

partner back in the game after a motorcycle accident left him with the use of his

right arm only. It has been a lot like starting over again at shooting, hunting and

fishing. We rigged up a pistol rest on his chair, set up a blind and he took a deer during

Thanksgiving weekend. We mounted a scope on a S&W .460 XVR and I zeroed it

at 100 yards which turned out to be the range of his shot on the deer. The look on

his face was unforgettable.