Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What targets to shoot first?

f250sd

If you have an easy target and a difficult target, that you either would have to draw to, or leave on, which would you take first? Would the same hold true when arriving at a port? I know you want to set up and leave on an easy target, but if you must do one, either coming or going, which would it be?

If I had to choose though I would always use the easier target to set up on and the harder target to leave on.

The reason for this is that it is paramount that you start shooting as quickly as possible when coming into position. However when leaving a position you lose very little if any time by using the drop-step and push method. (I tend to use this method even when leaving on an easy target).

Whichever target presents itself in the line of attack approaching/leaving. You will "usually" want to keep your flow of movement as fluid as possible.

Check out Saul Kirsch's DVD's they are well made and very instructional. The L10/Open Tactics is pretty good also.

that is a good question, but it would have to include if the longer target was paper or steel. I have a preference not to leave on a steel target. = <_< one that falls as it can cause some hesitation to the Getty-up. I am comfortable with most any steel shot as a first shot if something is to be gained. Longer shorter it all depends on the approach angle to me, I like longer shots. Ilikelongershots,Ilikelongershots,Ilikelongershots B)

Edited by AlamoShooter

For me it's almost always the easy shoot first then it doesn't matter....I have biten by leaving on the steel leaving a tad too early I called a good shoot but departed the position before the bullet :) but I'm learning to be a more patient shooter...

Edited by dansy

In my personal shooting style, I have found that I am faster and more accurate when engaging the easy target first from the draw and shooting the harder target before leaving. If there is more than two targets, I like to take the easiest first, hardest second and the second hardest last. This all depends on the COF, how many targets, angles etc. though. The best way to answer your question is get out to the practice range and find out what works best for YOU. Set up every combination you can think of and shoot the $H!T out of them, keeping track of your times and point totals. ;)

To answer the second part of your question, that I missed the first time. It would depend on the target arrangement. If the easy target is tucked tight behind a barricade, I would take the harder shots first during entry and finish on the tough angle shot around the barricade. But in theory that would make THAT the "difficult" target, depending on how you look at it. :wacko: Now if the easy target is in line with my path of entry, definitely take that one first. ;)

I am NO expert, but...

I would take the shot that is in the line of sight first and the last target would be in the line of sight exiting the shooting position. Long-short, easy-tough, does not matter!!!

Take them as you see them, otherwise you are wasting time looking PAST targets that are visible to get to your preferred shot.

Time is valuable!!!

From what I can tell I'm in the VAST minority on this - compared not only to the forum members but also to shooters I know - but I almost always engage the harder target first, and leave on the easier one.

Obviously it depends on the set up. Honestly, the difficulty of the targets is probably 4th or 5th tier in on the decision tree in terms of what I shoot first or leave on. That said, if I'm just standing in a box and there are three targets in front of me one at 35 yards, one at 18 yards, and one at 10 yards I'd likely enaged the furthest first and work in - leaving on the closest.

I've got 1,000 reasons for this that I rationalize to myself - I'm sure at the end of the day it's just how I prefer to do it.

Now, coming into a box, I'd likely engage the easiest target first.

To throw another contradiction into my silly shooting style - if in the scenario above it was engage targets, reload, and engage again I'd likely hit the far target first working closer, hit the load, and start on the close target moving back out. Several top shooters have openly chastized me for this - in fun of course - but there's truth to their criticism.

Again, I can rationalize that in myself and understand what I'm thinking and feeling - but at the end of the day I just have to resolve myself to being quirky . . .

J

From what I can tell I'm in the VAST minority on this - compared not only to the forum members but also to shooters I know - but I almost always engage the harder target first, and leave on the easier one.

Obviously it depends on the set up. Honestly, the difficulty of the targets is probably 4th or 5th tier in on the decision tree in terms of what I shoot first or leave on. That said, if I'm just standing in a box and there are three targets in front of me one at 35 yards, one at 18 yards, and one at 10 yards I'd likely enaged the furthest first and work in - leaving on the closest.

I've got 1,000 reasons for this that I rationalize to myself - I'm sure at the end of the day it's just how I prefer to do it.

Now, coming into a box, I'd likely engage the easiest target first.

To throw another contradiction into my silly shooting style - if in the scenario above it was engage targets, reload, and engage again I'd likely hit the far target first working closer, hit the load, and start on the close target moving back out. Several top shooters have openly chastized me for this - in fun of course - but there's truth to their criticism.

Again, I can rationalize that in myself and understand what I'm thinking and feeling - but at the end of the day I just have to resolve myself to being quirky . . .

J

j1b

Don't feel bad, I shoot from right to left every chance I get. Why? Because I feel my peripheral moving left picks up the next target quicker. Also, being right handed, I feel I can push to my target faster and with more accuracy than vise-versa

We all have our own quirks :blink:

Zhunter & J1b, I'm glad to see someone does the same things I usually do!

Especially from the draw I like to take a hard target, it seems to force me into focusing a bit better and I normally pick up speed as the adrenaline gets going. We're supposed to be "seeing" that first sight picture in our visualization as we wait to explode at the timers beep, so I like to see a good picture on a hard target.

Once the beep goes, I won't usually think about anything!

I was at a match on Catalina Island some Halloweens ago and they had a stage where you started in a box and you could see 4 targets about every 5 yards from 5 to 20. I had the same question: which one to start on? Both JoJo Vidanes and John Flenz said to start on the far and work to the near. That is a GM point of view and I think JoJo was engaging the last target strong hand only while starting his departure out of the box. John said that it was better for him to speed up his shooting as opposed to slowing down. He said that far to near is always faster with better points for him.

I would think that you would probably want to reverse that coming in to a position.

Later,

Chuck

The bottom line is it depends on personal preference and testing.

If you want to know which way is better for you then you have to go to the range and test it meticulously.

Yup, I said it before, the answers to these question come from within. I am also a right hander that prefers to shoots left to right when ever possible. Like zhunter said, I can push the transitions with more accuracy in that direction. Although the opposite direction Z mentions. It just feels better. And that is something you need to find out for yourself.

I'd rather draw to an easier target since basically the draw adds more complication to the process compared to just a transition. Sort of like settling down on the easier target then going for the harder one.

Probably my top priority goes with the best "flow" for the stage. I'm not going to do something wierd in order to shoot an easier target first.

I have supported this feeling in training and found it to be solid. Going right to left, I feel apprehensive and like I am "going against the grain". But I have been working on improving that, as it poses as a weakness in my shooting technique.

I was in a class being taught by Tj and one of the students had a preference to shooting right to left. TJ made him run drills in each direction to determine which way gave him the best score. The guy learned that, despite his preference, he was faster left to right.

I think that we are programmed from birth to do things left to right and it would take a lot of practice to overcome that bias.