Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

"End of the Year Celebration"

kimel

So at work I was invited to an "End of the Year Celebration" by one of my customer units. I declined.

According to my employer (a large state University) we no longer have Christmas, Hanukkah, or even "holiday" parties. We have "end of the year celebrations". We are not allowed to put up any decorations that indicate they are specifically for <any of a specified list of holidays>, even in our individual offices/cubicles.

Since when do I have to give up my beliefs just because some other person might be a bit offended because they believe something else? Are we not thereby imposing the belief system of others on everyone? Is there no longer individual freedom in this country? Are we no longer expecting anyone to have any tolerance for anyone else?

I am seriously considering finding a small fake Christmas tree and putting a large tube of KY under it. Don't like my decoration? Shove it!

In our PC world it has become just OK to offend or discriminate against the majority...as to not offend in any way the tiny minority.

The very fabric of this nation is unraveling.

Jim :(

PS a Menorah is welcome in any Christmas celebration in my world!!

Edited by GentlemanJim

We're turning into a bunch of picky little jerks. Society, that is. It's nutz. Totally. I can't stand it much longer. :goof:

Locally, no one is supposed to put up Christmas trees in public view. Cripes. So a local construction outfit (that has a huge, tall crane or two) has put a large Christmas tree (for all to see) (and, I presume, to enjoy) atop one of their cranes and has just thumbed their noses at the City. Yay! :P

I would think that one's own cubicle is one's own personal territory, and if you want to sacrifice goats in there (or something equally reverential) you should be able to. :angry:

There are a number of traditional December cultural celebrations and have been for quite some time. Why can't we just enjoy them ALL, for pete's sake....?......

I hate diversity training. This year, ours was called 'Embracing the New Normal'... I want to know what was wrong with the old normal <_<

I still have not found a single store-sign in Boulder that says "Merry Christmas" :angry2:

I hate that they call a Christmas Tree a Holiday Tree. If it's a Holiday Tree then why don't we put one up at every Holiday... I can see them gracing Arlington Cemetery during Veterans Day or attach fireworks to it on 4th July.

Ugh !

But that would mean the imposition of a religion by the government. Holiday, as we all know, means holy day:

holiday

O.E. haligdæg, from halig "holy" + dæg "day;" in 14c. meaning both "religious festival" and "day of recreation," but pronunciation and sense diverged 16c.

Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2001 Douglas Harper

Not that some of us don't celebrate the 4th of July, or even Derby Day, religously. It all becomes quite clear after watching a few episodes of Monty Python.... :surprise:

I think too many people look for reasons to be offended. If someone says "Merry Christmas" and they mean well, take it that way. I'm not a Christian, but I think all this crap is gettin' a little old. Hell, I'm offended that people can't put up their Christmas tress and Nativity scenes. I always though the 'separation of church and state' meant the state is supposed to butt the f&*k out of religion. Protecting the rights of the minority does NOT mean pissing on the rights of the majority.

I like Christmas time. You and I might be able to argue about Jesus, but I love Christmas. It's an American tradition. Should we stop celebrating the 4th of July because we might offend a few British nationals that live in this country? As a non Christian I say to every last one of you:

Merry Christmas!!!!!!!!

I'm not Catholic, but I have no reservations about celebrating St. Patrick's day. :cheers:

Howdy

Long time listener first time caller here. This is yet another aspect of modern life that confuses me and believe me there are many.

Seems like when I was a youngin' (before Mayberry went to color) the old hens would get together and cluck about all the pagan symbols taking over the

rememberance of Christ's birth. Now a decorated conifer and a fat man giving gifts crafted by little non-humans that have been flown in by a sub-arctic

caribou are all too "christian" to be tolerated in polite society. I thought this WAS the compromise, let the heathens bring along their winter solstice goodies,

we can work it out. I say put a manger scene on your desk, anybody asks, tell them it's some kinda P.E.T.A. thing.

Grateful for this forum,

Bill

In our small town people still put up Christmas trees and decorate their houses.

We even (Gasp!) have a Christmas parade with floats, marching bands, and Santa Claus.

Christmas is still Christmas in Alabama.

Thank God (whatever diety you subscribe to) I live in the south.

Edited by 38superman

Protecting the rights of the minority does NOT mean pissing on the rights of the majority. - in this country it does. It's the way they set it up on a "revenge" precedent, and now we are stuck with it.

I love Christmas. It's an American tradition. - it was. It sure was. But like someone said above, we are unraveling. The silent majority continues to let us slide towards a liberal abyss. God help us.

Merry Christmas!!!!!!!!

COMPANY CHRISTMAS PARTY

TO: All Employees

DATE: December 01, 2007

RE: Christmas Party

I'm happy to inform you that the company Christmas Party will take place on December 23, starting at noon in the private function room at the Grill House. There will be an open bar & plenty of food. We'll have a small band playing traditional carols ... feel free to sing along. And don't be surprised if our CEO shows up dressed as Santa Claus! A Christmas tree will be lit at 1:00pm. Exchange of gifts among employees can be done at that time; however, no gift should be over $10.00 to make the giving of gifts easy for everyone's pocket. This gathering is only for employees! Our CEO will make a special announcement at that time!

Merry Christmas to you & your family.

Patty

DATE: December 02, 2007

RE: Holiday Party

In no way was yesterday's memo intended to exclude our Jewish employees. We recognize that Chanukah is an important holiday, which often coincides w/Christmas, though unfortunately not this year. However, from now on we're calling it our "Holiday Party." The same policy applies to any other employees who are not Christians or those still celebrating Reconciliation Day. There will be no Christmas tree. No Christmas carols sung. We will have other types of music for your enjoyment.

Happy now?

Happy Holidays to you & your family.

Patty

DATE: December 03, 2007

Regarding the note I received from a member of Alcoholics Anonymous requesting a non-drinking table ... you didn't sign your name. I'm happy to accommodate this request, but if I put a sign on a table that reads, "AA Only"; you wouldn't be anonymous anymore. How am I supposed to handle this? Somebody…? Forget about the gift exchange, no gift exchange is allowed since the union members feel that $10.00 is too much money & executives believe $10.00 is a little chintzy.

NO GIFTS EXCHANGE WILL BE ALLOWED

To: All Employees

DATE: December 04, 2007

What a diverse group we are! I had no idea that December 20 begins the Muslim holy month of Ramadan, which forbids eating & drinking during daylight hours. There goes the party! Seriously, we can appreciate how a luncheon at this time of year does not accommodate our Muslim employees' beliefs. Perhaps the Grill House can hold off on serving your meal until the end of the party - or else package everything for you to take it home in little foil doggy baggy. Will that work? Meanwhile, I've arranged for members of Weight Watchers to sit farthest from the dessert buffet & pregnant women will get the table closest to the restrooms. Gays are allowed to sit w/each other. Lesbians do not have to sit w/Gay men, each will have their own table. Yes, there will be flower arrangement for the Gay men's table. To the person asking permission to cross dress, no cross-dressing allowed though we will have booster seats for short people. Low-fat food will be available for those on a diet. We cannot control the salt used in the food we suggest for those people w/high blood pressure to taste 1st. There will be fresh fruits as dessert for Diabetics, the restaurant cannot supply "No Sugar" desserts. Sorry!

Did I miss anything?!?!?

Patty

TO: All F***ing Employees

DATE: December 05, 2007

RE: The F***ing Holiday Party

Vegetarian pricks I've had it w/you people!!! We're going to keep this party at the Grill House whether you like it or not, so you can sit quietly at the table furthest from the "grill of death," as you so quaintly put it, & you'll get your f***ing salad bar, including organic tomatoes. But you know, tomatoes have feelings, too. They scream when you slice them. I've heard them scream. I'm hearing them scream right NOW! I hope you all have a rotten holiday! Drive drunk & die,

The Bitch from HELL!!!

DATE: December 06, 2007

RE: Patty Lewis & Holiday Party

I 'm sure I speak for all of us in wishing Patty Lewis a speedy recovery & I'll continue to forward your cards to her. In the meantime, management has decided to cancel our Holiday Party & give everyone the afternoon of the 23rd off w/full pay.

Happy Holidays!

We get a ton of PC crap here near D.C. In stores, I sometimes get the obligatory "happy holidays" from the obedient clerks; unless their religion is obvious, I just answer: "Merry Christmas!" They usually smile & appear happy to hear it - even if their management has forbidden the acknowledgement that Christmas, or religion in general, exists.