Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Thieves

GlockSpeed31

On December 5, 2007 at 4:04am Autrey's Armory in Fayette County GA was the victim of a very organized smash and grab in which approximately 75-80 guns (mostly Sig Sauer and Glock pistols) were stolen.

A 1993 burgundy in color Chevy 1500 pickup truck (stolen from Norman Drive in Clayton County an hour prior) was used to pull the burglar bars and the front door from the entrance to the business. When the Chevy 1500 pickup truck was stolen, the victim reported seeing a dark colored Jeep leave with his vehicle. After the door was pulled, six males entered the business and each had a specific job to do.

They targeted the Glocks, Sigs, and some rifles including a Springfield semi-automatic .308 with a bipod and collapsible stock. Most of the pistols did not have magazines. Please report any bulk purchases of Glock or Sig Sauer magazines to this agency immediately. The guns are being entered on GCIC now.

The distinctive items in the video include a male with red pants, a male wearing what may be a Pittsburgh Steelers jacket, a large blue trash can used to collect some of the guns, red bolt cutters used to cut the cables securing the rifles, and the large size of one of the males (over 200 lbs.) A $1000 reward is being offered for information leading to an arrest and conviction. Contact Det. Joshua Shelton 770-716-4777. Thanks!

Security Camera video here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ui31_IQHaKM

I was there last night shooting USPSA until about 9pm. Please pass the word on so hopefully these "persons" are caught quickly. The store owner, Ben, is a super nice guy and really bends over backwards to help my shooting club.

Thanks for your time and if I get a list of the guns & serial numbers, I will update here.

Sorry to see this happen.

What is the smoke/vapor in the surveillanc video? Does the alarm system release teargas or something?

Its probably the smoke bomb my brother told me about. The intent is to make it so the thieves cant see anything. Looks like they needed 2-3 of these to be effective.

I hope they catch em.

Its probably the smoke bomb my brother told me about. The intent is to make it so the thieves cant see anything. Looks like they needed 2-3 of these to be effective.

From the timer on the video tape it looks like they were in and out in under two minutes. The smoke bomb did its job but it appears it takes several minutes to fan out through the room.

As organized as they appear, surely local law has some idea who they might be.

Bill

Observed organization amongst theives is bad ju-ju. Every group I have delt with that showed inclination to organization also had indications of violent tendencies. Secondly, in order for them to be precise and systematic in their theft, they had to of conducted pre-surveillance on the location. Once again, bad ju-ju.

Glockspeed 31 wrote:

...Security Camera video here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ui31_IQHaKM

I clicked on that link and watched the video. It is set in the fast forward mode.

Do you have another link to a normal speed video?

Please tell me that wasn't the only video camera inside or outside the store.

I really don't see the point of the smoke if it obscures the camera's ability to capture clear vids of the perps.

Was there any sort of 85 decibel plus siren in that store? I would think that would be more effective.

They were in and out in under 2 minutes.

Methinks somebody already knew what the local police's response time would be to that part of town/county.

They did look kind of organized, slightly, above a normal everyday smash and grab, I will give them that. I am suspecting that somebody had a scanner on them and was listening for the call to go out over the radio. I am assuming that the gunstore had a silent alarm that went directly to a central monitoring station or to the PD.

If they were that organized and had done their homework, I think they would have sent one guy around with a ski mask on disabling all the cameras and stripping the recording devices of their VHS tapes or DVD's.

Thieves. It's the one thing the persian world does right, IMO. Lop off their hands when they're caught.

All in all, today has not be a good day for the "gun movement".

Time of year,

Pop Guns here in Indianapolis just got hit last Saturday, don't know all the details.

Also just up the street from me the Vineyard Liquor store had an armed robbery, along with the gas america across the street.

I am a store manager at Sears and in the last week we have had over 10 stops for shoplifting, mostly 30-50 year old women!!

disabling all the cameras and stripping the recording devices of their VHS tapes or DVD's

iI it's a modern system, it's recording to a hard drive in a circular buffer and DVDs are only written after an incident. With IP based cameras and modern networks, a business owner can make it dang near impossible to find the recording unit, set up decoy units, or even locate the recording it in another part of the country.

If that was my gunstore, yeah, that's the way I would set it up. Make it web based. I guess then I could theoretically watch the store from my cell phone, or a black berry, or an Apple iPhone.

Then again, it is only fool proof up to the point where the wires, if there are any, attach from the building to the pole.

Like in that latest case of the football player getting shot in his house, the bad guys cut the phone lines before they broke into the house.

Wireless, theoretically, would be the best way.

Hard to believe we were just in there shooting 7 hours earlier. I was talking to someone else about the rifle you see the closest thief taking.

This robbery is a shame, Ben is a super nice guy. He does have several cameras although I don't know where they are all pointed.

I don't know how useful this video is but please if anyone can help, Ben deserves it. He embraces our shooting every Tuesday night.

A friend with the GBI who frequents the place says they've arrested 4 already. He's a good inside source, so I'm optomistic.

This has to play hell with Ben's insurance. :(

==================================

ETA: Damn, now I'm being told they had to release those 4.

All good speed to the local investigators.

A friend with the GBI who frequents the place says they've arrested 4 already. He's a good inside source, so I'm optomistic.

This has to play hell with Ben's insurance. :(

==================================

ETA: Damn, now I'm being told they had to release those 4.

All good speed to the local investigators.

Mark,

Is this the place where I shot with you, BOZ, VRMN and the bunch?

:angry2:

Nice place and nice people. This sucks!

The guns are being entered on GCIC now.
Is there someplace where Joe Citizen can look up a serial number and find out if a gun is 'hot'? A Google of GCIC came up with illrelevent links.

Locally there has been an uptick in car and home burgularies where the target goods are firearms. Three arrested a couple weeks ago. Only a small number of firearms were recovered.

Be cautious on any FTF firearm transfer from someone you don't know. When the hundreds of guns that were stolen in Katrina hit the streets it was less than a week before they showed up all over the country.

The guns are being entered on GCIC now.
Is there someplace where Joe Citizen can look up a serial number and find out if a gun is 'hot'? A Google of GCIC came up with illrelevent links.

Locally there has been an uptick in car and home burgularies where the target goods are firearms. Three arrested a couple weeks ago. Only a small number of firearms were recovered.

Be cautious on any FTF firearm transfer from someone you don't know. When the hundreds of guns that were stolen in Katrina hit the streets it was less than a week before they showed up all over the country.

Hank,

I don't think so. My suggestion would be to find a police/sherriff buddy to possibly check for you.

I hate thieves!

Same bunch attempted to buy large quantity of magazines from a dealer in Forest Park, GA. Store owner could not keep them occupied long and the police response time was eighteen minutes from dialing 911 to their arrival. Which in the long run may have been a good thing...

In a separate incident in the same neck of the woods, a dealer in Stockbridge, GA had some fool ask to look at a suppressed Walther 22 and proceed to run out the front door. Store employees collared him not far from the store...

Had a dealer in Texas sustain major damage to their building from idiot thieves ramming it with a stolen truck. Big, ugly repair bill and some damaged merchandise...