Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

My netflix delivery came and it was the gladiator flick 300. Watching it was a real hoot. The actors are so overly serious and hammy I kept wondering if they were playing it straight or if it was supposed to be campy.... it seemed the latter. That made it a lot more fun.

The violence was so cartoonish that you can't take it seriously, kind of like watching an itchy-and-scratchy cartoon. Heads and arms popping off and flying up in the air.... pretty impressive from a single stroke of a sword made back before steel was available.

The really funny part is watching all these over pumped guys stand around in tiny speedos for the whole movie..... it was like what we see every year at the gay pride parade on Castro street. Seriously, I don't think there was a single scene where they were not wearing them.

Anybody who ever did any body building (30 years ago for me) knows the muscles only stay defined for a short time after the workout where they get the pump of blood. In every scene, these guys are all standing there sucking in their guts flexing their abs and posing like greek statues... it was hilarious.

The gay parts were hysterical.... the spartan king went to meet the evil king Xerxes.... who, by the way, was seven feet tall and another buffed up beefcake. Xerxes walks up behind the spartan king and starts stroking his shoulders. My wife yelled out:

"GET A ROOM!"

And I was howling on the floor laughing.

At the end when the spartans are all dying and laying on the ground, the captain grabs the king's hand and says: "It was an honor to die with you...."

Who writes the dialogue?

Anyway, the real hoot was the final scene where the Persians launch a million arrows into the air... and then they show the spartan king on the ground with maybe two hundered arrows sticking out of him...

So, if you want a few laughs or want to give the wife a treat and let her oogle two hours of beefcake standing around flexing their abs... it's worth a rent.

Edited by bountyhunter

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First, someone's got some major homo-phobe issues.

As for the style of the production, it's meant to be "cartoony" as that's Frank Miller's style in movie production. That and most of the movie was shot in front of a green screen.

As for steel well...you probably want to look that up.

The movie was good. Not great, but much better than what Hollywood has been producing over the past several years. Definitely a pure testosterone driven drama.

For a better story, read the story of the real 300. Much more compelling but the movie is a good watch every once in a while.

Rich

Wasn't The 300 a graphic novel turned into a movie, a la Sin City?

And, your observations regarding the homosexual overtones are probably historically accurate. It was quite common on that society at that point in history.

I was disappointed in the movie. They took an important battle in history, and ruined it with comic-book/ hollywierd crap

I was dissappointed too. I won't say it was a good movie or a bad movie. But it isn't one I'll be watching again.

Since this isn't in the Hate forum... I liked the movie. The battle/fight scenes were great and clearly influenced by Frank Miller.

I honestly didn't notice the abs and speedos as much as the OP though, LOL.

The violence was so cartoonish that you can't take it seriously, kind of like watching an itchy-and-scratchy cartoon. Heads and arms popping off and flying up in the air.... pretty impressive from a single stroke of a sword made back before steel was available.

Yah! Of course, it was based on a cartoon... Literally. The director tried to do a pic by pic translation. But that's not an excuse! I guess....

The really funny part is watching all these over pumped guys stand around in tiny speedos for the whole movie..... it was like what we see every year at the gay pride parade on Castro street. Seriously, I don't think there was a single scene where they were not wearing them.

Yeah, what were these guys thinking?! Speedos are soooo 424 BC [insert gay icon]

I would have preferred cowboy suits! :wub:

Anybody who ever did any body building (30 years ago for me) knows the muscles only stay defined for a short time after the workout where they get the pump of blood. In every scene, these guys are all standing there sucking in their guts flexing their abs and posing like greek statues... it was hilarious.

OMG! You noticed that too?!

It made me long for one of those good old, Arnold or Sly movies! :wub: Also, to make it historically accurate, they could have at least tried to replicate what ancient Greek history left us, like those statues or something...

The gay parts were hysterical.... the spartan king went to meet the evil king Xerxes.... who, by the way, was seven feet tall and another buffed up beefcake. Xerxes walks up behind the spartan king and starts stroking his shoulders. My wife yelled out:

"GET A ROOM!"

And I was howling on the floor laughing.

That really cracked me up... I too find it beyond ghey when two men have any physical contact... This includes fighting, shaking hands and the ever-gay pat on the shoulder.

At the end when the spartans are all dying and laying on the ground, the captain grabs the king's hand and says: "It was an honor to die with you...."

Who writes the dialogue?

I too would have preferred a gurgling sound. It would have given the whole movie that little bit more realism that most other Hollywood movies give us...

:rolleyes:

Dry land is not a myth. I've seen it. Kevin Costner. Waterworld. I don't know what the big fuss is about. I saw that movie nine times. It rules!

PS, it's called sarcasm...

Edited by spook

First, someone's got some major homo-phobe issues.

Right... genuinely hilarious comment considering.

My point was, it was pretty obvious the film knew the target audience. If you don't believe it, rent the film and tell me: who would be insane enough to go and meet the king of the enemy's forces alone..... then casually turn his back and let the guy walk up and start stroking him from behind? I didn't make the movie, just rolled on the floor laughing at stuff like that. And the costumes were ridiculous... the size of those codpieces probably caused a foam rubber shortage at all points west of the Rocky Mountains.

OMG! You noticed that too?!

It made me long for one of those good old, Arnold or Sly movies!

Whatever that means, but as a matter of fact: the guy who played the lead in 300 was laughing about the same thing on jay Leno: the guys in the movie had to pump about three hours a day average to keep themselves pumped up for the scenes. It would be funny if one of the out takes had caught them with their stomachs relaxed.

Spook and BH,

The fact that you guys seem fixated on the homoeroticism of The 300 after seeing the scenes of the Oracle and Queen Gorgo tells me exactly which way you guys are "oriented" :P

Edited by smokshwn

Spook and BH,

The fact that you guys seem fixated on the homoeroticism of The 300 after seeing the scenes of the Oracle and Queen Gorgo tells me exactly which way you guys are "oriented":P

Damn! I thought my sarcasm was over the top... Guess I was wrong ;)

What could I have done to my original post to make it more clear that I loved 300 and that I hate anything that has to do with homophobia? :blink:

I thought the cowboy suits comment should have given it away... :P

Well, I've done it. I've inserted an extra explanatory icon to my ever so subtle post... SIGH!

Edited by spook

I must have watched a different movie; I didn't see it as a gay-fest, I saw it as a dramatization of a significant event in history. Frank Miller's imagery has always tended to be a tad over the top. And although the images are less than historically accurate (for example, some spartans went into battle naked, others had armour) I think it drove a lot of people into the history books to find out more about it.

I don't have this movie in my DVD collection but will be getting it in the New year when I put in my next big order to amazon.com

The really funny part is watching all these over pumped guys stand around in tiny speedos for the whole movie..... it was like what we see every year at the gay pride parade on Castro street.

I liked the movie, but that is really funny :lol::lol:

the guys in the movie had to pump about three hours a day average to keep themselves pumped up for the scenes. It would be funny if one of the out takes had caught them with their stomachs relaxed.

What's the difference between this and actors/actresses spending hours getting their hair and make-up done? How about Jamie Fox losing 30 lbs to play Ray or Deniro gaining that much in Raging Bull?