Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ghost Holster V 012

JohnL

How does the Ghost Holster compare to Safariland's 012 and is the Ghost compatable with Safariland's Levitation system? Also, I thought I read somewhere that you have to drill a hole in the trigger guard - what's that about.

Thanks, I appreciate any insight you might have.

Actually I am curious also. Will the Ghost Holster fit onto the Levitation Belt. I just bought the belt and did not realize that the newer belt is now a 2" outer belt. I am waiting patiently for the new Pin-less Ghost model...but am concened now that it will not even fit the belt.

Does anyone have any idea?

Thanks!

• 6 months later...

I like the Ghost because you can switch between your Open and Limited guns without changing it. (The same can be said for the Limcat, Arredondo, and maybe others.) I also like the fact it locks solidly between stages, or during movement before the draw, and it can be unlocked as a natural part of the draw.

I believe you'll need some kind of add-on to use the Ghost on a Levitation belt. Check with Speed Shooters, they'll know.

I highly recommend the Ghost. I have one of the first generation ones. I've had it for.... ummm... 3 years? No problems. The #1 feature that has me sold is the locking feature. I started 4 stages at the Area 2 with my holster locked. It allowed me to get up and start moving with NO WORRIES about my gun falling out. Another benifit is the size. Squatting down you don't have anything digging into your leg or other parts. :D Just my 2 cents.

I've had almost every holster out there, CR Speed, Blade Tech, Hogue, Safariland, etc. I now use a Ghost (1st gen) and I can't recommend it enough. I haven't used the Limcat or Extreme but I imagine they are similar in function. SinCity said it perfect, the ability to lock it and know it is locked AND to be able to draw from the locked position without changing your draw at all is the best feature. Plus the size makes it nice for squatting and the like.

The Safariland was the holster I had last (not the 012 the one before that, I think it was 011) and I liked it. But I got DQ'ed at a match because my gun fell out during the draw. It was totally my fault, it was a wierd starting position with stuff in your hands and I went for the gun to aggressively from a different angle and hit the bottom of the grip with my forearm very hard and knocked it forward and out. I don't blame the holster but I still lost confidence in it after that, and with the Ghost that could not happen.

I know something better will come along someday but I can't imagine a better holster design for competition use.

I'm confused about this hold drilling. Why does this have to be done? Does the one I linked to need to be drilled? I have a Safariland inner and outer belt system that is about 1" diameter. I'm really thinking of getting this holster but need some more specifics before I do.

Thanks again,

Pete

• 2 months later...
Which came first, Ghost or Limcat?  Seems like they are so much similar in design except for the hanger system?  josh

Don't know which came first, but I do remember that both had early generation models that required drilling a hole in the trigger guard of the gun for a retaining pin. The new generation of each model doesn't require any gun mods.

Just bought the latest Ghost, and on the first day's practice, it works well. I had the latest generation Limcat, which didn't work with my Para because the trigger guard was squared in the custom work done for me by my smith, and the hooks on the Limcat, both the universal and the SV versions, wouldn't fit.

The Ghost has what looks to be a small hook and a large spring mounted ball bearing as the retaining system, and works well for my gun. The locking mechanism is secure but the latch is very light and easy to disengage on the draw. For me, the Limcat latch was too hard to disengage reliably and quickly.

The Limcat is easy to adjust for angle and cant. With a small investment for extra long socket head screws and nylon washers, you can also adjust the amount of standoff from your body. The Ghost, to me, has a little less adjustability, but only slightly so (mainly standoff).

Both holsters came with hangers that would only fit belts up to 1.5". The Limcat took plenty of muscle to go onto my Safariland outer belt (it's a friction fit). The Ghost has screw clamps that loosened to go onto my new CRS HiTorque belt.

• 1 month later...

baron45 it will fit BUT it will not retain the gun very well. I use the Ghost with my SV Limited gun and it works great. If I shoot a local match I'll shoot both stock and open with a singlestack race gun. The single stack will fit in the holster but I wouldn't walk around much with it. The gun is fairly loose. I only did this once because I forgot my other belt and wouldn't recommend doing it ever.

The ghost holster is very difficult to get right now. I have had one on backorder for about a month. Originally ordered through Matt Burkett, but they called me and said they weren't sure when they would be getting anymore in because of the dollar being weaker than the Euro (these holsters are made overseas). Currently have one on backorder with Competitive Edge Dynamics. Until the ghost comes in I will use my Safariland 012 with my STI GrandMaster.

- George