Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Penn & Teller: Bullshit

3GunF1Guy

Penn & Teller BS is definitely good TV. Here is a link to the show's website http://sho.com/ptbs/

Penn Jillette is well known for speaking his mind from a point of reason. Here are some samples (this guys all right by me)

Penn Scrawlings

Penn & Teller are also buddies with Michael Shermer (check out Scientific American for his monthly article), one of the prime movers in science vs. pseudo-science de-bunking. Check out the Skeptics Society

Another de-bunking pal of theirs is James Randi who is another shining light on the road to reason.

Regards,

• 2 years later...

Just watched Penn and Teller's BS episode on Gun Control.

It is priceless.

Not only did they counter all the arguements made by gun control advocates, they went to the heart of the matter and reminded everyone that the 2nd Amendment is in the Constitution to allow the People the means to overthrow a tyrannical government. In fact they wanted that fact to be so ingrained, they went back to it and closed the episode with it.

Bravo!

Penn and Teller take on Gun Control

"Not only did they counter all the arguements made by gun control advocates, they went to the heart of the matter and reminded everyone that the 2nd Amendment is in the Constitution to allow the People the means to overthrow a tyrannical government. In fact they wanted that fact to be so ingrained, they went back to it and closed the episode with it."
I love it. Absolutely love it.

Without venturing into the forbidden territory of politics, I bellieve that Teller is a fellow at the CATO institute (which is a Libertarian think tank). The CATO institute was the 1st party to independently file suit in Washington, D.C. seeking to have D.C.'s handgun ban declared unconstitutional (the suit later being subverted by the NRA & lost). While I am not a member of the aforementioned political party, I personally believe many of their positions have merit & I try to keep an open mind when they voice their views. Thanks for the heads up on P&T's latest.

From Cato's list of fellows...

Penn Jillette, H.L. Mencken research fellow, is the louder, bigger half of the magic/comedy team Penn & Teller.  He and Teller co-host a new series on Showtime that looks to debunk junk science, scares and scams with reason and logic.  Jillette writes the "Final Word" column for Regulation magazine.
Teller, Mencken research fellow, is the smaller, quieter half of Penn and Teller. He writes occasionally about freedom of speech.

Both Penn and Teller are fellows at the CATO Institute and both of them write about their individual topics of interest, political or otherwise. I know that Penn used to write amusing articles for a computer journal (PC Magazine or something) back in the 90s.

"I wish I had Showtime. Maybe they'll bring it to DVD"

I hope so. Better yet - FCC the name & bring their show to Network TV. I think that there is so much BS in the mass media (from many sides) that the United States screams out for a show like Penn & Teller's. Very refreshing.

If anyone can get the show on DVD, or can record to a DVD let me know, the website is not accessible from outside the US. Penn & Teller are good, I would like to see the show and spread the anti gun-control message.

I have it on my Tivo, but I don't yet have the technology to make a DVD. Maybe I'll have to borrow a burner from a friend...

• 1 year later...

I stumbled onto the gun control episode this morning, and after doing a search, found this thread about it. Here's a bump with links to the three parts of the episode.

Love them or hate them, those two and I certainly agree on at least one thing!

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

If you only have 2 minutes, watch the first parts of the third link ;)

Edited by Pharaoh Bender

If you only watch one thing today, PLEASE watch the third link.

Seriously. You have ten minutes. Watch the clip.

If you only watch one thing today, PLEASE watch the third link.

Seriously. You have time. Watch the clip. It will better prepare you to defend your position.

Edited by Pharaoh Bender