Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SP01 Buldging brass near base

pbosik

well, just got my backup SP01, went and shot it all great, no jams,etc..picked up the brass and there is a huge buldge near the base of the case on all the brass,,took the slide off and it looks like the feed ramp was polished and that the barrel is throaued similiar to a 45 1911, on each side of the ramp and polished ..when u drop a round in the barrel it will fit good but there is the gap between barrel and brass at the throated area..i think this it where the case issue is coming from,,also the primers are flat like my open gun when the pressures were high..I am loading 3.4 clays, 135 zero @ 1.110 oal...the gun runs great, i dont care if the brass issue is all i have here. Anyone think there is something i need to be concerned about here??i would hate to have to get a new barrel..

post-5793-1195357347.jpg

post-5793-1195357375.jpg

Time for a new barrel. CZ barrels are very good about feeding when stock, they don't need much more than touching up. They're also accurate, so you just need to get another factroy barrel instead of springing for a Bar-Sto or such.

CLAYS has a pressure spike, and with that short OAL I am not surprised. You have reached the tolerance and are just next to blowing cases with that load. CLAYS is great for minor loads, but with that short OAL you are mimicing(if that is a word....) the 147gr loads that people tried years ago with 147s had the same problem.

If you want to load that short you will have to run a slower powder, like Titegroup, VV 320, Solo 1000, etc.. CLAYS is fine for minor loads with bullet weights up to 125gr, but running short OALs for the CZ you are asking for trouble with the CLAYS load....If you could load it out to 1.130 it might be doable...

<speaking with the been there done that voice mode on....> ;)

I would try some factory ammo and some other loads before replacing the barrel to see if they bulge too.........

Glad you paid attention and caught it....the mark of an experienced reloader..... :cheers:

Good luck,

DougC

thanks for the input, I just bought this pistol from someone on uspsa web, he said he got it from Angus as the custom..I asked him about the brass and barrel issue..he said that is how he got it..he said he only shot aprox 700 rds thru it..I thought I was getting a god deal, but looks like I may have gotten the dreaded "wanker" instead. Somethink doesn't smell right here....Anyone know where I can get a barrel?. I went to czusa and did not see anything,likewise on Angus site??

btw- this load is chrono @ 130pf

here is a couple of pics..

Angus is a good man... he will fix you up if need b e... in the mean time show us a picture with proper focus. If you are using an auto focus camera put your hand right, or something else, beside the barrel chamber and it will focus on your hand at the same point as the chamber. That way it will attain proper focus.

Edited by JThompson

Looking at your picture it looks like half of the case is not supported. It may be the angle of the pic that makes it look like that much is unsupported. The bottom is unsupported for sure. If you are getting a pressure spike it is going to bulge or worse where it is not supported. It is hard to tell from the pic but it looks like the ramp is cut up into the chamber an flared out on the sides.

DWI, I like that...I think you are right..but we have denial going on here..My pics suck , but there is the big gap at the bottom of the barrel..I will call Angus tomorrow for some help. I just can't imagine that crazy throating being done by him...ha, ha, dwi that was funny....

Hold the phone. You guys keep telling him to shoot factory ammo in it, etc. I wouldn't advise that at all--factory ammo has plenty of pressure and this guy has a gun problem.

High pressure handloads, even at the edge of creating a kaboom, would not leave that kind of frickin' bulge. That has to be lack of proper barrel support. I wouldn't shoot another round of anything through that barrel, period.

What really sucks is that someone sold that pistol in that condition. I just cant believe the seller fired that pistol and didnt know it had a problem. That barrel and every piece of brass ever fired in it is trash.----------------Larry

Edited by Larry White