Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

No Country for Old Men

Sestock

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Saw it & loved the movie. Is that lock punch thing a Hollywood Prop?? Or does one like that exist? just curious.

It explained it in the book and in the Movie = It is what is used to Kill cattle in the slater house = its conected to a regular air line and the cattel come down the cattle shoot get locked in and the guy puts the thing to the scull. the cow drops.

:blink: better than the old way with the guy swinging a big hammer to the scull

I don't know for sure.... I know they have to penetrate a fairly thick chunk of bone on the animal... I'd have to guess that they have enough power to smack a cheap lock around pretty good, but don't know without trying it...

• 3 weeks later...
... Incidentally, if you like McCarthy's work, or want to sample it after seeing this movie, get a copy of Blood Meridian. He wrote it over 20 years ago but I think that's his greatest work yet.

Good call.

That is an incredibly powerful and disturbing book -- I picked it up recently, on the strength of "No Country...." For those that haven't read it, it's the story of a 14 year-old boy who joins up with a gang of mercenaries in the 1850's, selling Indian scalps for bounty along the Texas/Mexico border.....

I saw it yesterday with my dad. The end left me breathless. What a perfect movie.

I have been thinking about it since I left the theater. What it all means. The key moments and the fantasic monologue

in the end.

To me, it has to do with the title. As Bell (and several other characters) age, they become disconnected to the younger generations. The have lived their lives with certain morals, almost a code, and they see these morals fade. Bell tells some stories about the increased violence and of course follows Chigurh's bloody trail. He doesn't understand anymore and fails to save Llewellyn.

The scene where Llewellyn buys the College student's jacket and the other student wants more money for the beer was also a key moment to me. Llewellyn is in big trouble because he wants to keep the money. He's the generation that makes the change from morals to money, and the College students give him a glance at what's to follow for coming generations. Selflessness disappears.

All because of money. In that perspective, the scene where Llewellyn finds the money under the tree, almost had a "forbidden fruit" atmospere to it, in retrospect.

The scene where Chigurh is hit by a car, and the kid offers him the shirt from his back, completely selfless, shows hope. Evil (Chigurh) isn't untouchable and even in the youngest of people, morals still exist.

The end, where Bell "joins his father" is really all in the title of the movie. Bell gives up. He longs for death (joining his father), because he doesn't understand the world anymore. It is no country for old men. Not anymore.

In that last hotel scene, I think Chigurh was still in the room and probably behind the door when TLJ (the sheriff) walked in. I suppose he could have been next door. Ah, heck, I don't know.

I think Chigurh was still in the room. At least, I believe the coin you see lying on the ground with the screws means something about fate and letting Bell live at that moment...

Just my 2cts

BOught it and watched it last night... :unsure: Great story but I'm still confused about the ending. Gotta watch it again. The sheriff was sharp but overwhelmed by the situation.

Stay tuned...

I saw it the other night, good gun action, but I thought it was a VERY poor ending, average movie overall

yup, i think the ending was poor too, it felt like there were loose ends

I liked the acting, but I thought the writing was lacking.

First off, I found the multiple bad guy's ability to find the hunter near psychic. There is good "detective" work, and then there is ridiculous, a couple of the meetings were the latter.

I want to know how the air-gun has enough kick to knock a lock out of a door and make it fly across the room, but doesn't transmit any "recoil" into the hitman's hand.

...then there is the ending. LAME!!! You don't have an otherwise normal movie and suddenly at the end decide to get artistic (or vague, or mysterious, or ambiguous, your choice).

In that last hotel scene, I think Chigurh was still in the room and probably behind the door when TLJ (the sheriff) walked in. I suppose he could have been next door. Ah, heck, I don't know.

I think Chigurh was still in the room. At least, I believe the coin you see lying on the ground with the screws means something about fate and letting Bell live at that moment...

Just my 2cts

I think the coin and the pile of screws touched back to an earlier scene, when Chigurh was searching the hotel room in the Del Rio after killing the three Mexicans. He used a coin there to remove the A/C vent cover. I believe he was long gone, when Bell returned to the scene of the crime....

I saw it yesterday with my dad. The end left me breathless. What a perfect movie.

I have been thinking about it since I left the theater. What it all means. The key moments and the fantasic monologue

in the end.

To me, it has to do with the title. As Bell (and several other characters) age, they become disconnected to the younger generations. The have lived their lives with certain morals, almost a code, and they see these morals fade. Bell tells some stories about the increased violence and of course follows Chigurh's bloody trail. He doesn't understand anymore and fails to save Llewellyn.

The scene where Llewellyn buys the College student's jacket and the other student wants more money for the beer was also a key moment to me. Llewellyn is in big trouble because he wants to keep the money. He's the generation that makes the change from morals to money, and the College students give him a glance at what's to follow for coming generations. Selflessness disappears.

All because of money. In that perspective, the scene where Llewellyn finds the money under the tree, almost had a "forbidden fruit" atmospere to it, in retrospect.

The scene where Chigurh is hit by a car, and the kid offers him the shirt from his back, completely selfless, shows hope. Evil (Chigurh) isn't untouchable and even in the youngest of people, morals still exist.

The end, where Bell "joins his father" is really all in the title of the movie. Bell gives up. He longs for death (joining his father), because he doesn't understand the world anymore. It is no country for old men. Not anymore.

I'm with you Spook...it's all about the title. I remember before my grandfather died he would reminise about being in the war and fighting/killing the enemy. Then he would shake his head and wonder 'what has become of this country that so many died for'. He had become appalled at what the younger generation had done to this country.

I think this has happened to many men and women regardless of their profession or their accomplishments. You work so hard all of your life to maintain the status quo, and all the while the fabric of our society is unraveling. :mellow:

Watched the DVD the other day and enjoyed the actors/characters but was disapointed with the ending and some of the holes in the story. Surprisingly I was drawn to the character Chuger. By the end of the movie I actually liked him. He actually had integrity, albeit in an evil way. The look he flashed the clerk who "married into the gas station" as he was leaving was priceless.

in the end.

Thanks Björn!

:)

Thanks Björn!

:)

You're most welcome Nemo :)

Funny thing. I talked to my dad yesterday and he said: "I noticed that a lot of Coen Brothers movies are about people getting in trouble over a bag of money..."

Big Lebowski

Fargo

No Country For Old Men

Ladykillers