Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which gun for Single Stack?

Rather-B-Huntin

I'm planning on shooting in Single Stack division next year, and would like opinions on which gun I may use??? I'm gearing towards a Kimber Stainless II chambered in .40 at the moment. I already have a couple of .45's, but am actually looking for something that can pull double duty and shoot in ESP class in IDPA too. And I won't spend more than $1,000.00 on everything (gun, trigger work, new sights).

What are your opinions??

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm planning on shooting in Single Stack division next year, and would like opinions on which gun I may use??? I'm gearing towards a Kimber Stainless II chambered in .40 at the moment. I already have a couple of .45's, but am actually looking for something that can pull double duty and shoot in ESP class in IDPA too. And I won't spend more than $1,000.00 on everything (gun, trigger work, new sights).

What are your opinions??

I would look at either a STI Spartan (.45 only) or a STI Trojan which you can get in any caliber.

Hello: I like my Kimber Eclipse that was originally a 10mm but now a 40 with a rebarrel. I also had a 9mm barrel for it as well--sold the barrel. The Kimber 9mm pistols can be rebarreled to 40 since the Kimber 9mm has a 40 breach face. Now go out and find one. Thanks, Eric

Well I have been shooting a Kimber in SS and in L10 also for a couple of years. One day at the range I was discussing my Single Stack with Rob L. and I told him I liked my Kimber because it runs. Rob then told me that I should get a gun that runs from a company that REALLY supports the sport (USPSA). He didn't say it should be Springfield but he stressed any company that really supports USPSA. I really started thinking about what he said and I realized how right he was. This is not a knock on Kimber because I like my 1911 but their support of USPSA is little to none while we have companies such as Caspian, Springfield, STI, SV, etc.... that are giving our sport a lot of time, attention, labor, and money.

Caspian, Springfield, STI, SV

+100

Those companies have supported our sport for a very long time. Caspian and Springfield the longest of those listed and STI and SVI since they were formed as companies. YOu can even add Dan Wesson, now that CZ is the parent company.

Alan

Why is .40 recommended so much? I've noticed that the top shooters often do choose the 40, but I don't understand why.

Two reasons,

If you are already relaoding .40 for limited makes sense to use a .40 in SS. Then you should be able to use the same load in both guns. fewer components to purchase.

If you are not reloading .45 then you will be using factory ammo that makes a 190+ pf when those that are reloading are making ~170pf. .40 factory ammo is in the 170pf range.

That said, I reload for 9mm, 38Super 40 and 45 makes no difference to me so I use the 45 in singlestack even though I have a 38 Super Singlestack.

Alan

Edited by Alan Meek

I just went though this and decided on a Trojan in .40. If you buy it from Dawson, they include a fiber optic front sight for free. It will be hard to stay under $1000 since the gun plus shipping (if you don't have anyone local that carries them) is going to be somewhere between $900 and $1000. You'll also need a magwell and some trigger work, but that's about it to get started.

I have shot the Kimber SSII in 40 cal, thought it shot very well and was a little cheaper than the STI, also a very nice gun. Go with 40 cal because 8 rnds of 40 in the 9 rnd mags most of them come with will be easier to load into the gun than a toped off 8 rnd 45 mag.

Another question about 40acp - Do the S.Stack 40's need the ammo to be loaded longer than is considered standard? My Para 16 and everyone I know who shoots a Limited Division double stack 40 acp has to run ammo with a little bit longer overall length. Otherwise, the ammo just doesn't feed 100% reliably.

jasmap, I agree completly. I shoot a kimber in SS as well and it runs great but I have also heard that from fellow shooters. I am leaning towards a STI Trojan to replace it currently.

+ a bunch! I won't support those that don't support us period! Now I won't give ya flack cause you shoot what ya got...but I expect ya to change in the future lol :lol:

jasmap, I agree completly. I shoot a kimber in SS as well and it runs great but I have also heard that from fellow shooters. I am leaning towards a STI Trojan to replace it currently.

+ a bunch! I won't support those that don't support us period! Now I won't give ya flack cause you shoot what ya got...but I expect ya to change in the future lol :lol:

Ya I am getting it from both sides, get a trojan!!! stick with the kimber!!!!

Of course the one saying get a Trojan is Me and the one saying keep the kimber is the wallet. Of course then there is the dicision of which caliber to get. I have alot of 45 lead around and the dies for it but I do have a fair amount of 40 brass from the ranges collected as well.