Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bullets for 625

Duster

I need to work up a load for my 625 for use in IDPA/USPSA. I've tried 200gr SWC's that I loaded for my autos. Thought about using 230 RN's. Anyone try using 200 gr RNFP or 200 gr RN made for the .45 Colt? Need something that of course will load easy from moon clips.

Edited by Duster

Well, round noses reload most consistently. I personally don't know anyone that uses anything else but round noses.

I used 230 grain roundnoses.

Practiced some reloads with SWCs and flat points, and while I could do reloads just as fast with either one of those, the 230 round noses were the most consistent by far.

If you break the edges of the holes in the cylinder just a tad with a small file or chamfering tool, your reloads will be as fast as you can do 'em.

Also, the bullets for .45COLT are .454/.455 if I'm not mistaking. Bullets for .45ACP are .451/.452.

Edited by spook

Well, round noses reload most consistently. I personally don't know anyone that uses anything else but round noses.

I used 230 grain roundnoses.

Practiced some reloads with SWCs and flat points, and while I could do reloads just as fast with either one of those, the 230 round noses were the most consistent by far.

If you break the edges of the holes in the cylinder just a tad with a small file or chamfering tool, your reloads will be as fast as you can do 'em.

Also, the bullets for .45COLT are .454/.455 if I'm not mistaking. Bullets for .45ACP are .451/.452.

Thanks for the info. The older guns chambered for .45 Colts were .454. The newer ones are .452.

I use and recommend 230-gr. plated or cast RN bullets in my 625s. I've used Rainier 230-gr. plated bullets the past couple years, but due to the price spike in bullets I have recently loaded up on cast 230-gr. RNL and will probably use those at all but the biggest matches next year.

Most 625s will shoot both of these bullets quite well, and nothing loads faster than a true round-nose profile. Lighter bullets loaded to the same power factor tend to feel snappier. For major loads, I'd recommend about 4.1 to 4.2 grains of (straight) Clays powder.

I have shot a lot of cast 200 gr. RNFP meant for the .45 Colt out of both my 625 and Glock 21 (with Bar-Sto barrel). They worked very well for me. I was astonished that the Glock never ever failed to feed that stuff in many thousands of rounds (sorry to brag about the Glock on a Revolver forum) but I recommend a bevel base bullet to prevent shaving lead while seating. Those lead shavings tend to foul the chamber.

Years ago I used the Berry 185 gr. HBRN and I believe I accidentally loaded one without powder, sticking the bullet in the barrel. I thought it misfired and before anybody could stop me I shot it out with the next round. The gun was not damaged, but that incident scared the hell out of me. I guess the moral of the story is if you're a careless reloader, that bullet is the one to use!

Dave Sinko

OK, I am not the world's expert or even as experienced as some of the people that have posted ahead of me, but here is my $.02. If you can afford them, go with the Montana Gold 230 FMJ or something similar. They shoot straight and will drop in the cylinder with ease whether it is champhered or not. Next best is a cast 230 round nose that has been moly-coted. Master Blaster (215 gr. RN) and Billy Bullets 230 have worked well for me. The Billy Bullet is what I used at the Revolver Nationals this year. For local matches and practice, I use the Precision (sp?) 230 grain swaged 230 RNFP. With the price increases that have been going on, I will probably go with more Precisions and less of the others. SWC style bullets work well, but only for the LAMR part. Once you start moving and shooting, you need the RN to get the most, IMHO.

Good Luck and enjoy the wheel. It is addictive.

I have used 180 grain cast lead bullets from Hunters supply (I think) that were for the LC, diameter .452 to make minor with. Boy, they were SHORT bullets, but seemed to shoot well, at least for short range stuff. I have been shooting the 185 grain HBRN, with the apparently mistaken thought they would shoot softer than a heavier bullet. Trying to get complete combustion with those bullets can be problematic. If the pressures aren't high enough, you end up with unburned powder, to get the pressures high enough, you end up making the old major. I think next time, I'll go at least 200 grains.

I have been shooting the 185 grain HBRN, with the apparently mistaken thought they would shoot softer than a heavier bullet. Trying to get complete combustion with those bullets can be problematic. If the pressures aren't high enough, you end up with unburned powder, to get the pressures high enough, you end up making the old major.

Yes, a lot of us have experienced really erratic results with that bullet over the chronograph, it must have something to do with that hollow-base design. I used them for ICORE matches this year, but will probably not do so again. Danbagger was using them loaded to major power factor for USPSA matches for awhile, but I know he moved away from them also.

I have been shooting the 185 grain HBRN, with the apparently mistaken thought they would shoot softer than a heavier bullet. Trying to get complete combustion with those bullets can be problematic. If the pressures aren't high enough, you end up with unburned powder, to get the pressures high enough, you end up making the old major.

Yes, a lot of us have experienced really erratic results with that bullet over the chronograph, it must have something to do with that hollow-base design. I used them for ICORE matches this year, but will probably not do so again. Danbagger was using them loaded to major power factor for USPSA matches for awhile, but I know he moved away from them also.

I've been using the 185gr HBRN @ major PF for about 2yrs now, working together with Danbagger, was able to work up a consistant load with no bullet creep. Using 5.5gr of Red Dot along with a slight ROLL crimp @ 1.25"OAL, I chronoed a little over 168PF at Area 1 this year, don't remember the spread but it wasn't much. The load is accurate and personally, I prefer the quick snap compared to recoil of a heavier bullet. What made the biggest difference was using a slight roll crimp -- very important.

If you get the pressures up then the velocities stabalize.

But one of the reasons I don't like them is that past 25 yards they must start wobbling, kind of like a badmitton birdie at the end of its flight. I can usually get good groups at 25 yards but can hardly keep them on a 12" plate at 50. I found the same problem with HB lead bullets in .45 back in the late '80's. There were some 155 SWC HB lead bullets we ran at 1200 f/s that made the comps work, but they failed the long distance tests. The solution then was the .38 Super, now it's the 627.

Now .45 185JHP's at 135PF have proven to be accurate. Wonder if Cor-bon would sell some of their PowRball bullets at reasonable prices?

[snip]

Now .45 185JHP's at 135PF have proven to be accurate. Wonder if Cor-bon would sell some of their PowRball bullets at reasonable prices?

Yer a pretty funny guy, it is to laugh. "Cor-bon" and "reasonable price" in the same sentence? :goof:

What is that "powRball" made out of anyway?

For major loads, I'd recommend about 4.1 to 4.2 grains of (straight) Clays powder.

There is such a thing as (bent) Clays powder :D

or (gay) Clays powder? :D

Edited by ffl

[snip]

Yer a pretty funny guy, it is to laugh. "Cor-bon" and "reasonable price" in the same sentence? :goof:

Yea, I crack myself up too. Though I do have a 1911 I built in .400 Cor-Bon, might use it next year for kicks.

It's a plastic pellet (I think) probably made out of old winning lottery tickets.

If I wasn't such a wimp, I'd take some super glue and some pellets and make my own. I just have visions of my reaction as a pellet falls loose and rolls out the end of the barrel just as I'm bringing it up. Would that constitute a 7th shot from a 6 shooter?

[snip]

Yea, I crack myself up too. Though I do have a 1911 I built in .400 Cor-Bon, might use it next year for kicks.

It's a plastic pellet (I think) probably made out of old winning lottery tickets.

If I wasn't such a wimp, I'd take some super glue and some pellets and make my own. I just have visions of my reaction as a pellet falls loose and rolls out the end of the barrel just as I'm bringing it up. Would that constitute a 7th shot from a 6 shooter?

Old winning lottery tickets? No wonder they're expensive, they're more rare than Hen's teeth. :surprise:

I've been shooting a 625 in IPSC, IDPA and ICORE since 1990. After tinkering with about every bullet and load I could imagine, I still end up loading Montana Gold 230 gr. TMJs behind 4.4gr. Viht N310, Federal brass and primers. This load chronoes at ~750 fps depending on barrels, is clean and soft shooting. If I practiced :rolleyes: , I'd use 230 gr. LRNs but I don't care for lead in matches because you can get lost in the smoke during a high humidity, low-wind day. :blink:

Then you could always just ask "WWJD"? and Jerry does shoot 230s at the Nationals.

• 1 year later...
They are getting expensive ...but I only use 230 grain FMJs from Zero or Montana Gold. (I'm so glad I bought a couple years supply this past Spring)

4.5 - 4.6 grains of TiteGroup makes a soft shooting major round perfect for IDPA/USPSA

I most likely will be acquiring a 625-8 this weekend and this is the load that I use in my CDP gun. I use a Lee Factory Crimp Die and a heavy taper crimp. Will I need to roll crimp? I doesn't seem like I should have to, since the Model 25 was meant to shoot factory 45 ACP ball ammunition, and I think my taper crimp is as good or better. Plus this load is far softer than ball ammo.

ETA: I found some answers here: http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?...hl=FMJ+revolver Not enough coffee this morning to search effectively. :yawn:

Edited by Steve J

I've been shooting a 625 in IPSC, IDPA and ICORE since 1990. After tinkering with about every bullet and load I could imagine, I still end up loading Montana Gold 230 gr. TMJs behind 4.4gr. Viht N310, Federal brass and primers. This load chronoes at ~750 fps depending on barrels, is clean and soft shooting. If I practiced :rolleyes: , I'd use 230 gr. LRNs but I don't care for lead in matches because you can get lost in the smoke during a high humidity, low-wind day. :blink:

Then you could always just ask "WWJD"? and Jerry does shoot 230s at the Nationals.

What is your OAL and crimp size?