Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Minolta Dimage comes with a proprietary nimh battery that doesn't get a memory for recharging early. Also, it has the longest battery life of any camera on the market. With the view screen off it can take up to 113 pictures. The AA size nimh batteries don't last much longer. Our 2 different cameras at work go through a set of batteries every 20 pictures or so. Our computer guy at work even opted for the Minolta do to battery life, portability, and picture quality.

I use a digital camera everyday for my job. I'm a salesrep for an automotive classifieds magazine and I take about 100 pics a week. I use a Kodak EasyShare DX4900 camera and it is great. It's very easy to use and the pic. quaility is awesome.

let me say again,

i think you should get a camera that has at least a 8x optical zoom, my next one will have this feature. most cameras are great for taking close up pictures, however, when you get past 10 yards details are lost.

lynn :huh:

The Minolta Dimage comes with a proprietary nimh battery that doesn't get a memory for recharging early.

Any idea where to get more of them fancy AA batteries? I've bought the consumer NiMH (Energizer) in the past and was totally underwhelmed by their performance.

I borrowed a digital camera and its LCD monitor is utterly useless outdoors.

Erik,

It all depends on the camera. My Nikon CoolPix 2500 was like that - completely useless after sunrise. The Minolta I have now is actually functional in sunlight. But, it also has a viewfinder, so I can leave the LCD off for shooting and save the batteries.

I just went through this decision process for myself and selected the new Sony DSC-P72. I chose it because:

- it is small enough to carry all the time

- my main purpose was to replace a small, carry-everywhere film camera

- with a 128Mb memory stick, I can shoot 80 full res images (3.2Mb per image)

- with a 128Mb memory stick, I can capture 6 minutes of video

(enough for one IPSC match)

- the images (jpg) and video (mpg) easilly transfer to my Sony Clie (Palm) and my Mac.

- other people I know have one and like it

- the design is attractive and the controls are logical

- has both LCD screen and viewfinder

- can use rechargeable AAs (included) and alkaline AAs

- the price is much, much less than a digital handicam

I have only shot a dozen images and a few minutes of video to date, but I am very happy with the results.

Regards

Peter

I don't know how much you plan on spending, but right now nikon is offering a 200 rebate on their coolpix 4500 model digital camera. www.newegg.com has them for 570 shipped minus the rebate.

I think you would be hard pressed to find a better bang for the buck than the 370 dollar nikon coolpix.

The dummy auto mode is pretty good too. Once you learn how to use the diffferent flash options your good to go.

The only bad thing about this camera is that the lense is very slow. You really can't use the zoom indoors except with a ton of light.

Another minor nag is that movies are taken in the .mov format and not mpeg, but I think that is pretty easy to convert though.

I'm a new to digital photography, so don't take my word as gospel.

You can also pick up an hp photosmart 7150 for hundred bucks after rebate.

Don't forget the flash, photopaper, black ink cartridge, etc

Josh

• 3 years later...

Three years later and I am now looking for a Digital SLR. I am not a pro (or I wouldn't be asking :) ), do not play one on TV and have never stayed at a Holiday Inn Express. I've narrowed it down to:

Pentax K100D

Cannon EOS Digital Rebel XT

Nikon D50

Any thoughts, experience or recommendations welcome and solicited!

Immediate usage will be educational for me. This camera will see much abuse at the Dojo and the Range. Still pictures of people in motion will be the most common subjects.

Help me get in touch with my inner Ansel Adams....

Thanks for your input!

Dale

I've narrowed it down to:

Pentax K100D

Nikon D50

Dale,

Recently, I researched all the digital SLRs on the market and decided to go with the Olympus E-330. (I am a pro and am moving from Hasselblad / film (the Rolls Royce of cameras) to digital.) The things that I liked about the Olympus was:

- The 4/3rd format which prints easily

- Lens quality

- Live preview on large LCD screen

- Ergonomics - fits the hand well

- Ergonomics - location of buttons and layout of menus

- Portability (anything is better than that huge old 'blad

- Underwater housing available.

Take a look at it too.

Regards

Peter

Three years later and I am now looking for a Digital SLR. I am not a pro (or I wouldn't be asking ), do not play one on TV and have never stayed at a Holiday Inn Express. I've narrowed it down to:

Pentax K100D

Nikon D50

Any thoughts, experience or recommendations welcome and solicited!

Immediate usage will be educational for me. This camera will see much abuse at the Dojo and the Range. Still pictures of people in motion will be the most common subjects.

All the pros have talked to think Canon has the best electronics and picture quality. Even though some of them use Nikon they tell me it's because Nikon will sometimes let the larger photo shops into their base code, while Canon will not.

I recently bought a Canon S3 IS which is in between the still photo only crowd and the point and shoot crowd. It is an SLR with a built in 12X optical Zoom and it has a movie function. It will take up to a 4 gig card and has available long lens and wide angle lens adaptors. All in a small package. It is just amazing in terms of quality and with prices circa $400 it cannot be beat. The final thing that sold me was the movie ability and the availability of an 18X optical telephoto.

If you would like to find out more there are forums on Canon cameras with much more info than this one on guns. Just google Canon forums - that's how I found it.

all the cameras are pretty decent and will function as you need them..

you mentionend taking most of your photos in the dojo or on the range..so there may be a couple of factors to consider..

lenses..you may want a camera that offer interchangable lenses..to give you an option of fast f-stops to shoot available light or offers you the ability to use external lighting kits.

Both the Canon and the Nikon systems will give you great choices in lenses..

I believe Nik and XRe are using the Canon system..and I use the Nikon system...not sure what Yamil uses..

I just picked up a little Canon Powershot and an underwater housing for it..great little camera for what it is..I can carry it my back pocket..it has a 7megapixel CCD and offer 800ISO..also shoots movies..

Dale,

the Rebel's already outdated --- due to be replaced.

See Here for Rebel XTi.

Up until the Digital bodies came along I got to test new Nikons every other year or so. Back then, and this may still be true today, Canon had a significant edge in autofocus accuracy and speed, especially when subjects were moving. From what I've seen in camera stores, this still seems to hold true ---- I'm waffling only because I used to get a Nikon package handed to me by the local rep to shoot for a week, and now I'm not. It's kinda like the difference between shooting a gun at an indoor range and shooting a match with one.

If you want to do a lot of work indoors, you may want some fast lenses (read max aperture of 2.8, 2.0, or 1.8) for that --- the typical package zoom for the Rebels (at 3.5-4.5/4-5.6)will be too slow. I've shot with a friends Rebel recently --- don't know if it was an XT, or an older model --- but I was impressed.

Thanks for all the input guys. I got my hands on the Cannon S3 and new XTi today as well as the Nikon D50. I was tempted to go with the XTi because it should do better in low light filming fast action shots but decided to get the Nikon package deal with 18-55mm and 50-200mm lenses. The Nikon just seemed to fit my mits better. Don't look for pictures before I pick it up Wednesday....and clean up the reloading room. :D

Thanks for all the input guys. I got my hands on the Cannon S3 and new XTi today as well as the Nikon D50. I was tempted to go with the XTi because it should do better in low light filming fast action shots but decided to get the Nikon package deal with 18-55mm and 50-200mm lenses. The Nikon just seemed to fit my mits better. Don't look for pictures before I pick it up Wednesday....and clean up the reloading room. :D

It's largely the indian ---- and the amount of practice. Having gear feel and work naturally for you is important.....

Good luck --- and feel free to post, if you have questions.....

For the benefit of those who come to this thread later:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/

Reviews of, and perhaps more importantly, pictures from lots and lots of digicams. Very complete reviews, more than any other site I have seen. I'm spending lots of time there prior to spending lots of money to upgrade my current digicam...

Arnie