Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Winning prizes with no thank you

scottmilk9

I "hate", people who win a prize, think that they can dictate what they get and when they get it, especially without a thank you. As a sponsor, my hopes of donating prizes to matches, especially big matches is to get the word out(advertise) about my company.

This is the fifth big match that i have donated too, there are some real good competitors out there who do take the time and write a letter or make a phone call, but this is for those people who don't get it. The ones who are gonna make small companies stop donating to matches. Another reason that I donate is because I love the shooting sports and love walking the prize table, even though for me its the lower half of the prize table.

If you win a upper or any prize for that matter, take the time to say "thank you", not just put your address down and write the words "ship to:". Thats a lousy attitude and we don't need people like that in our sport!

Thanks to people like Ccur, jigtyre and others who have written or called to make my day by saying thank you.

I agree.

Heck, I even wrote a formal thank-you letter to the cop who hosted my ride-along about nine days ago. (It's gotta be a PIA to drag a passenger along on what's got to be an essentially dangerous gig.) I figured it was the least I could do.

Anyway, the concept of "thank-you" has vanished in certain sectors of our culture... much to our detriment. :angry2:

Good points Gentlemen. People who are that rude really need to remember where they came from, back when they got into this sport. I'd bet most of them were like me and just wanted to get to shoot a match with a prize table some day, let alone get a chance to actually visit the prize table!

Saying "Please" and "Thank You" never killed anyone!

Thanks for a well-timed reminder. I haven't been to a prize match in a long time and you're absolutely right, the decent thing to do is to thank the folks that make those prizes available. Have some prize matches coming up, so I'll do my best to win something and thank them!

I "hate", people who win a prize, think that they can dictate what they get and when they get it, especially without a thank you. As a sponsor, my hopes of donating prizes to matches, especially big matches is to get the word out(advertise) about my company.

This is the fifth big match that i have donated too, there are some real good competitors out there who do take the time and write a letter or make a phone call, but this is for those people who don't get it. The ones who are gonna make small companies stop donating to matches. Another reason that I donate is because I love the shooting sports and love walking the prize table, even though for me its the lower half of the prize table.

If you win a upper or any prize for that matter, take the time to say "thank you", not just put your address down and write the words "ship to:". Thats a lousy attitude and we don't need people like that in our sport!

Thanks to people like Ccur, jigtyre and others who have written or called to make my day by saying thank you.

The few things I have picked up at matches are usually in certificate form. When I call or send in the certificate I always tell the people at what match, and also a big thanks for the sponsorship of the match. One sponsor gave a small discount on their parts for match participants. I called ordered a part and thanked them for the sponsorship. The guy on the line was a little bit surprised he said he doesn''t get many thanks, plus it was a small sponsorship. I told him every bit counts.

How hard are these things to do? For me, it's harder not to do them. Sponsors don't owe us anything. They are trying to get there products out and in doing so make our competitions a little more interesting. Utilize some of your match sponsors and when you do, tell them thanks for the match sponsorship.

BTW scottmilk9,

What's your product?

As a person that has been the guy who runs prize tables I can say that it is really up to the shooters to help drive getting prizes. Companies are hit with hundreds if not thousands of request for free stuff. Basically we are calling and saying hey we have this great opportunity for your company to show your support for our sport, please give use some free stuff and we promise to promote it for you.

It has become expected for companies to just give up stuff and to be honest, I feel sorry for them. They are almost always put in a tough spot, what match, is it big enough, what expsoure will I get etc.

Free stuff isn't free, it cost somebody something, we as shooters should first of all show our appreciation, a letter, phone call or email goes along way. I will say that yes I like gettign stuff, it is cool. It is fun to put together a great prize table and see people get stuff. But it is sad that only a very few ever say thanks to the sponsors. I get all kinds of thanks about getting stuff, but really all I do is call and ask for it, the real thanks should be given back to the companies, it should be shown with letters, emails, faxes and especially our dollars to the companies that continue to support this sport with their donations.

So instead of spending a day on the forum, spend a day sending out thanks to the companies that give us the free stuff!!!!

All very good stuff. I have always did my best to thanks match sponsors even when I did not win anything. This sport is here because we all love to shoot, but going to a big match or even a local match that has some prizes always make the day a little better.

Thank you to every Sponsor large or small.

Patrick

good post...thanks for the reminder for us to thank our sponsors, our hosts and all those that support what we do..

+1.

Also, I try to do business with those good folks who sponsor matches I attend. It sometimes costs me a buck or two more, but that's a small price to pay in return for your generosity. It's sad that you haven't had more people express their appreciation for your efforts.

When I get a match book I write to every sponsor. They make the match for us and we need to support them.

I only had one instance when a sponsor told me he didn't want to hear "Thank You" or get a letter because he was too busy to worry about it. So, he's the only one in the book I leave out of my letters.

BTW scottmilk9,

What's your product?

I'll answer for Scott since he does not come here that often. He opened a new company in the spring, Tactics, which makes AR-15's and M4's. he has a lot of years working for others making and fixing AR's and decided it was time to strike out on his own. The products have been well received here in Arizona, selling to the LE market a lot. We carry their uppers and complete rifles and they are well made and reasonably priced.

I have to echo his complaint, giving prizes to matches is a big expense for smaller companies, especially where merchandise is involved. Rarely does much traceable business come out of it and often there is not much word of appreciation from the participants. If you buy something from a company based on a match sponsorship, let them know. It might keep them sponsoring the match in the future. Even if you don't buy something, send them an email. It helps. We have eliminated our sponsorship of one of the pistol sports because there was no reason to continue doing so from a business aspect. We also have increased sponsorships of the bolt gun type 'sniper' matches because of feedback and sales.