Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Major 9mm OAL

mgcchkn

All the loads I've read about on here and other forums are all ~1.145. The load data from the manufacturers and books say 1.169. Why is everyone going smaller than spec? Does it have to do with loading for major PF?

All the loads I've read about on here and other forums are all ~1.145. The load data from the manufacturers and books say 1.169. Why is everyone going smaller than spec? Does it have to do with loading for major PF?

I know the glock's use shorter OAL's due to the mag dimensions.

With an uncompressed load (SP2), I'm at 1.17" with a 125 gr jhp. This is about the longest I can go without getting set-back.

With a compressed load (3n38), I'm can load it up to 1.19" without issue.

I think you have it switched.

My MINOR loads are a 147 JHP @ 1.140".

My Major loads are a 125 JHP @ 1.160". This keeps them out of Glock mags, and still has enough case holding bullet for reliability and good SD. I use spacers in my mags.

If you can find factory published Major loads you are a better researcher than me.

I think you have it switched.

My MINOR loads are a 147 JHP @ 1.140".

My Major loads are a 125 JHP @ 1.160". This keeps them out of Glock mags, and still has enough case holding bullet for reliability and good SD. I use spacers in my mags.

If you can find factory published Major loads you are a better researcher than me.

I guess I should rephrase, the major load data I read around here (and here) and other forums have the OAL at ~1.145 for major loads and a load recipe I received from a custom shop too. Factory ammo and commercial load books have normal load OAL at 1.169 which I am going to guess is the SAAMI spec.

When setting the bullet depth on my press, I did some out to 1.169 and they fit in my Glock mags just fine and chambered fine in the gun as well.

mgcchkn - have loaded to 1.16" before in my production G34 and they will work. however, i did experience an occasional failure to feed (i suspect the nose of the bullet was rubbing a bit in the mag and then be to low on the feed ramp). Going to a little shorter OAL of 1.145" and no more feeding problems.

I have been working on an 9mm major load for my G24 open gun using 147 MGD and Power Pistol. With OAL at 1.14 I had no feeding problems, but was about 50-70 FPS short of major (@~6.2gr PP), but no feeding problem running 100 round through full 22 rnd extended mags. I am going to try 1.15 for the next round of loads, adding about 0.2, 0.4 gr to the current load if only to add a little more space in the case for the additional powder. All the searching I have done indicates that Glocks feed well at up to 1.155 OAL, but it is always better to verify.

BTW - I can run factory OAL 9mm through my extended 28 round (TF +10/11 extensions) without any feeding problems.

It depends lot of bullet lenght. And bullet lenght depends of bullet shape (even between same weight).

Below is picture of four 124 grs bullets. I load 9 major for STI magazine without any spacers and cartridge lenghts are from 29.2 to 31.0 mm (Sorry for metric system :) 1.149 - 1.22). The longest one could be loaded even longer, but 1.22 is what I have tested.

post-8374-1193695992.jpg

For an STI platform with mags that don't need spacers 1.180" seems to be the ticket with 115's, 1.195" with 124's.

This is what Johnny recommeded for my 9mm major DragonCat (1.180" w/115's, 1.200" w/124's), and they run like a top out of unmodified SVI mags...

1.169" is the official spec length for the typical RN style bullet. If you buy some Winchester packs at Wal-mart and measure them they will be a very consistent 1.170". As Z-Bono's photo demonstrates many of our bullets are much shorter and will result in a shorter OAL when loaded to the same depth.