Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

North Mountain,

ima45dv8

All of the rave reviews here about the NM mag holder, er..., uh...., I mean, MOONCLIP holder had me ready to order one. Then I learned they have a 5-post model. Anybody running a 4-post that now wishes they had gotten a 5? Pros? Cons?

TIA,

...Mark

==============

My first-ever revolver post! :D

I've got a 4-post. With 8 on the posts and 1 in the gun [normal starting position], that's 54 rounds to engage a COF. Since Level 3 and above matches are limited to 32 rounds, and even the extra round count of a local match rarely exceeds 40, that's plenty for our game. The extra 12 rounds a 5th post would allow would just be extra weight, IMHO.

Of course, if you're going to do the Croc Dundee Challenge, then you will be looking for a couple extra moonclips off that 5th post.

I got the 4-post North Mountain holder that I wear in the front, then I ordered a single post that I wear behind the holster for my initial load and my "oh crap, everything's gone south on me, I need another moonclip".

Steve

I got the 4-post North Mountain holder that I wear in the front, then I ordered a single post that I wear behind the holster for my initial load and my "oh crap, everything's gone south on me, I need another moonclip".

Steve

This is exactly what I did, too!

Great minds..... ;)

I have the 5 poster, and must admit that I have never run dry. Also, they would not be as heavy if you guys would quit putting all that powder in all of the cases. You only need enough to make chrono.

However I have not heard of the single post for the intitial load or HS! factor.

Bob, what gives? Are these held back for your 'Special Reserve' customers?

Is this now the next step in the revolver equipment race? :huh:

I have the 5 poster, and must admit that I have never run dry. Also, they would not be as heavy if you guys would quit putting all that powder in all of the cases. You only need enough to make chrono.

However I have not heard of the single post for the intitial load or HS! factor.

Bob, what gives? Are these held back for your 'Special Reserve' customers?

Is this now the next step in the revolver equipment race? :huh:

Jim,

We all know you're "special" :rolleyes:

My shooting gear includes wearing apparel. More specifically, I'm wearing cargo pants, with 6 roomy pockets available for various stuff. A couple of loaded moonclips go in the lower left leg pocket, for initial loading and HS! The used clips go in lower right leg pocket, and get counted before leaving the stage to avoid leaving any in the "liquid sod" [can you say "Insufficient Drainage" in Texan?]

If the stage involves multiple strings, I've got enough clips in my pocket to charge up before each string, AND refill the NH posts before each string.

At the very least, I'm rearranging clips on the NH posts to make sure that the post that is most frequently used is full before every string.

Also, if you go prone in woodchip heaven, make sure you clean off all your moonclips before the next stage. Right, Cliff? :surprise:

• 3 months later...
I have the 4 post, but tried the 5 post at summer blast the extra weight seem to pull away from belt,I would like to get the single post and slide it a few inch away from main clip holder,they are the way to go

I have made my own MC-holders on the same concept. Made posts from plastics too, to keep weight down. I made a 2 post variety which I have put right behind my "holster" being a southpaw reloading with strong hand. You can see it with white posts right behind the 1917 in this image: http://www.vansin.net/images/vansin/w-o-m_01.jpg

The 2 post holder is very handy when (if) having to reload in prone position.

Thanks for all the great advice. I admit I hadn't really considered the weight factor. I was mostly leaning towards the 5-post as insurance against how poorly I shoot a wheel gun.

A 4-poster it is!

Come on, don't shoot a revo that badly>

• 3 weeks later...
What did you make your holder out of? Kydex body with Delrin posts? Any chance we could get a shot of the back side, where it attaches to the belt?

James, if you're in the market for a moonclip holder, I highly recommend you buy the original North Mountain Moonclip Carrier from its inventor, Bob Perdue. You can be assured of a great product and great service.

What did you make your holder out of? Kydex body with Delrin posts? Any chance we could get a shot of the back side, where it attaches to the belt?

James, if you're in the market for a moonclip holder, I highly recommend you buy the original North Mountain Moonclip Carrier from its inventor, Bob Perdue. You can be assured of a great product and great service.

+1 on getiing it from Bob. He stands behind his product. He's seen all the pitfalls of the design and has it down pat.

JLJ, I too highly recommend the original NM-holder! Everyone praises it and it might even surpass what I have made in my basement. For the sake of things I do have to mention that the basic conscept of my holders were made a couple of years ago in leather and steel. Pretty heavy stuff and not really smooth :)

The belt loops on my holder are just formed strips of kydex bolted to the frame.

I have no intention of starting any serious business around my holders, I already have a more than full time job as a Project Coordinator.

I have only made some of the kydex type to fellow wheelgunners in my club and also to some other friends in other clubs here in Sweden. I make them totally by hand, with hand tools, promise no specific delivery time and keep no stock. I keep this a strictly european (can also be read, mostly scandinavian) thing and will not ship overseas.

Flex, regarding the Ghost/Amadini rebuild I just made two sides of Kydex, drilled and threaded the Ghost block, and produced the "platform" from delrin (another type of plastics). All parts were put together with M4 machine bolts from steel except the tab at the platform which was threaded and joined with a nylon M4 bolt.

If anyone would like images and close ups of my stuff send me a PM. No promise regarding delivery time though.

I make and modify some of my own gear and work my guns because I like to tinker, not to make a buck...

regards,

Conny Forsberg

.....EXCELLENT.....Is an understatement...

I used these for the first time at the MidWest Reg match last weekend......

If there's a stage where all ammo is on the table at the start, North Mountain holders are the only way to go.....Feeding your moons on to the post's (consistently) fast saves a lot of time compared to the old singles I had (golf cart stage at the '06 Nats).

No Revo shooter should be without one.......

Thanks Bob....(I still need to send you that 625)

DanBagger

.....EXCELLENT.....Is an understatement...

I used these for the first time at the MidWest Reg match last weekend......

If there's a stage where all ammo is on the table at the start, North Mountain holders are the only way to go.....Feeding your moons on to the post's (consistently) fast saves a lot of time compared to the old singles I had (golf cart stage at the '06 Nats).

No Revo shooter should be without one.......

Thanks Bob....(I still need to send you that 625)

DanBagger

+1..................just a great product and a great person to do business with