Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm MINOR MB 147gr loads

SA Friday

Do I need to get the extra small charge bar for my 550 or will the one that came with my machine be OK.

I just used the standard small (pistol) charge bar, not the extra-small one. I think the extra-small version is meant for stuff like .32 S&W Long wadcutter loads which take 2 - 2.5 grains of powder.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have yet to find a bullet profile that I cannot load to an OAL of 1.125 in my Glock 34 or my Glock 17 and be too deep for the rifling.

I got some locally cast bullets to tide me over till Precision gets caught up. They are 142gr FP. They hit the rifling on my G34 Lone Wolf Barrel when loaded to 1.125. I tried them with a slide release and they did not hit but at the match yesterday I noticed all the "show clear" rounds had little dings from the rifling on them. It's a shame because I made 400 of these things. They must just barely be hitting.

I have yet to find a bullet profile that I cannot load to an OAL of 1.125 in my Glock 34 or my Glock 17 and be too deep for the rifling.

I got some locally cast bullets to tide me over till Precision gets caught up. They are 142gr FP. They hit the rifling on my G34 Lone Wolf Barrel when loaded to 1.125. I tried them with a slide release and they did not hit but at the match yesterday I noticed all the "show clear" rounds had little dings from the rifling on them. It's a shame because I made 400 of these things. They must just barely be hitting.

Wow, they must have an odd shape, or your rifling starts really early in the throat. Can you reseat? if the crimp is just straight wall, you might be able to reseat a touch deeper.

Wow, they must have an odd shape, or your rifling starts really early in the throat. Can you reseat? if the crimp is just straight wall, you might be able to reseat a touch deeper.

I am going to try it. They all worked great at the event. I don't think you could get "setback" in the gun with how big these things are in the small 9mm case. Ussually, I can pull a 9mm with 1 wack of a puller. These took 5 hits before I did the last one a lot harder then I used to with the 115's

• 2 months later...

Got to try a chrono today to test my load of Solo 1000, Precision Bullets 148gr/9mm (Moly Coated Lead), Federal Primers, Mixed Brass 1.110 COL.

Grs--High/Low/SD/Spread/PF

3.2---870/846/7/23/857/126.9

3.3---883/861/7/22/872/129.1

3.4---907/872/12/34/887/131.3

All batch's were 9 or more in the group.

Pretty happy overall. Even the 3.2 made PF. But they all shoot SOFT and easy. Even the guy doing the shooting said "wow, these are soft" first time he pulled the trigger. Minimal smoke as well.

Edited by 98sr20ve

ya, solo 1000 is just good stuff. I plan on working up a 40 cal load with it and precisions when I get back next year. I think I'll venture off into the 45 acp a bit too. If I get really nice loads in all three, I'm going to be a one-powder guy.

Glad you liked the results. I would just hate to have to buy/trade that horrible powder off of your hands. ;)

Got to try a chrono today to test my load of Solo 1000, Precision Bullets 148gr/9mm (Moly Coated Lead), Federal Primers, Mixed Brass 1.110 COL.

Grs--High/Low/SD/Spread/PF

3.2---870/846/7/23/857/126.9

3.3---883/861/7/22/872/129.1

3.4---907/872/12/34/887/131.3

All batch's were 9 or more in the group.

Pretty happy overall. Even the 3.2 made PF. But they all shoot SOFT and easy. Even the guy doing the shooting said "wow, these are soft" first time he pulled the trigger. Minimal smoke as well.

Just curious, who did the chrono'ing?

It's good stuff, I think you will find it works great in 45 ACP (so I hear). Don't know about 40S&W.

Lizard.

Edited by 98sr20ve

It's good stuff, I think you will find it works great in 45 ACP (so I hear). Don't know about 40S&W.

Lizard.

Lizard's gettin old..likin' things too soft..

hmmm..a new powder to try..

• 2 weeks later...

Two guys from Minnesota and Wisconsin bought Master Baster Bullets. They are in the process of setting up shop. There web site will be up later next week. The moly is the same but I'm told that the polishing process is even better. The new business name is Black Bullet International. I'll be trying some 9mm with Solo 1000.

Two guys from Minnesota and Wisconsin bought Master Baster Bullets. They are in the process of setting up shop. There web site will be up later next week. The moly is the same but I'm told that the polishing process is even better. The new business name is Black Bullet International. I'll be trying some 9mm with Solo 1000.

If they make good bullets and have good customer service, they will make lots of money. I wish them every success. We seem to be short of bullets and primers lately.

I tried some 147 Precision Delta bullets in my SIG X5. I used Longshot as I had a lot of it for loading Major 9.

4.0 gr Longshot was very soft and a great steel load at 126 PF. I did use a lighter 11# recoil spring for this load.

4.2 gr Longshot was still soft but up to 135 PF. This one cycles and feels best (stock spring) for USPSA and where steel must fall.

Accuracy was exceptional with both loads.

Smoke wasn't an issue with either load.

Craig

Edited by spd522

Is their web site up yet? I tried to Google with no luck.

• 1 month later...
I haven't had the chance to chrono anything yet, but I know this is Carlos' magic formula so am very confident it makes pf. It knocked properly calibrated steel over all day. When I get a chance, I will chrono and post. As for now, I am loading my black pills as follows:

147gr Precision

3.2gr Solo 1000

WSP or Wolfe small pistol primer

1.125 OAL

I still think I'm going to tinker around with WST when I get some chrono time too and see what I can see.

Carlos, SA Friday, and the rest of the Solo 1000 shooters, I thank you.

I just shot my first small batch of Precision 147's over 3.2gr Solo 1000, 1.125 OAL. I cannot believe how soft these rounds felt. So soft, in fact, that I really can't believe these will make 130pf (XD 5" Tactical). Next week I'm going to load up another small batch or two and see if I can't run them over a chrono.

These were shot indoors. The smoke was not bat at all. There was a little more than my normal 4.1gr TG under 124 Zero fmj, but it wasn't terrible. It was good enough that I'm probably going to switch to Precision bullets for all of my indoor practice. If my time at the chrono leaves me with the same impression (and I can make the required power factor), my "powder hunt" will be over.

Thanks again guys!

I haven't had the chance to chrono anything yet, but I know this is Carlos' magic formula so am very confident it makes pf. It knocked properly calibrated steel over all day. When I get a chance, I will chrono and post. As for now, I am loading my black pills as follows:

147gr Precision

3.2gr Solo 1000

WSP or Wolfe small pistol primer

1.125 OAL

I still think I'm going to tinker around with WST when I get some chrono time too and see what I can see.

Carlos, SA Friday, and the rest of the Solo 1000 shooters, I thank you.

I just shot my first small batch of Precision 147's over 3.2gr Solo 1000, 1.125 OAL. I cannot believe how soft these rounds felt. So soft, in fact, that I really can't believe these will make 130pf (XD 5" Tactical). Next week I'm going to load up another small batch or two and see if I can't run them over a chrono.

These were shot indoors. The smoke was not bat at all. There was a little more than my normal 4.1gr TG under 124 Zero fmj, but it wasn't terrible. It was good enough that I'm probably going to switch to Precision bullets for all of my indoor practice. If my time at the chrono leaves me with the same impression (and I can make the required power factor), my "powder hunt" will be over.

Thanks again guys!

I am using the same load data, very soft shooting, I am shooting a glock 17, my recoil feels slow like my factory spring it to strong, even though it works flawlesly, where does a guy get reduced power recoil springs for a glock? I am using Montana Gold copper coated bullets.

• 4 months later...
TiteGroup

3.0gr

887 fps

11.7 sd

130 pf

SSSMOOOOOKINNNN. Really feels good and shoots accurate, though. If you can handle the smoke, it's a good round.

Solo 1000

3.2gr

885 fps

8.3 sd

130 pf

Smoke was less than all the other powders. Even my shooting partner commented on how soft these rounds appeared to shoot.

Okay. You had pretty much convinced me to switch to Solo (fellow Glock 34 shooter, got me some 147s from Black Bullets Int'l)... But I looked up the burn rate. It's between TG and Clays. That's a hot powder... Explains why it's soft, but how can it be easy on the smoke? You're really sure it's a clean load?

I'm about to take you at your word and order 8lbs of Solo, since it's not avaible locally to try in a smaller amount. You're REALLY SURE this is a soft, clean load?

I've run through 200 BB147s with 3.0gr TG behind them. Very noticeable smoke indoors. Outdoors, as long as you're not shooting into the sun, it's fine. `

How would you compare Solo under a moly bullet, to Titegroup under an FMJ? (my current load) Is it smokier than that, or better, or the same?

Edited by MemphisMechanic

The difference between the two powders is their chemical composition. Solo 1000 is a single base powder (nitrocellulose) while TG is a double base powder (nitrocellulose and nitroglycerine) with an extremely high percentage of nitroglycerine. The nitroglycerine is what caused the causes the powder to be considered "hot" because it causes the powder to burn at a higher temperature, not because of the burn rate. The heat generated by the powder causes some of the lead base of cast and open-base bullets to vaporize, and the hotter the powder, the more lead vaporizes, the more smoke you see when you shoot.

TG's hotness is the reason I stopped using it in revolvers - it gets the cylinder hot enough to really hurt during a rapid-fire practice session. I still use it with JHPs/JSPs in bottomfeeders because it has a lot of positive aspects.

TiteGroup

3.0gr

887 fps

11.7 sd

130 pf

SSSMOOOOOKINNNN. Really feels good and shoots accurate, though. If you can handle the smoke, it's a good round.

Solo 1000

3.2gr

885 fps

8.3 sd

130 pf

Smoke was less than all the other powders. Even my shooting partner commented on how soft these rounds appeared to shoot.

Okay. You had pretty much convinced me to switch to Solo (fellow Glock 34 shooter, got me some 147s from Black Bullets Int'l)... But I looked up the burn rate. It's between TG and Clays. That's a hot powder... Explains why it's soft, but how can it be easy on the smoke? You're really sure it's a clean load?

I'm about to take you at your word and order 8lbs of Solo, since it's not avaible locally to try in a smaller amount. You're REALLY SURE this is a soft, clean load?

I've run through 200 BB147s with 3.0gr TG behind them. Very noticeable smoke indoors. Outdoors, as long as you're not shooting into the sun, it's fine. `

How would you compare Solo under a moly bullet, to Titegroup under an FMJ? (my current load) Is it smokier than that, or better, or the same?

Revchuck pretty much covered the physical differences between TG and Solo1000. Solo 1000's burn rate is pretty much exactly like TG and Clays, thus is located right there next to them on the chart. Here's my recommendation, If you have a good BB147/TG load and there is not reason to change, then don't change. I changed because it was almost fricken impossible to find Zero bullets a while back and I didn't want to pay the price for Montana Golds. I have had horrible luck with plated, so I tried black bullets. If you want to experiment, cool, Solo 1000 is a good one to play with.

Solo 1000 is clean burning and very soft shooting. Its soft shooting for the same reason TG is soft shooting. Fast burning powder under a heavy bullet. Solo 1000 has the advantage of burning cooler than TG and I believe has a different flow of burn from the chamber to the muzzle that really helps seal lead and black bullets to the rifling stopping a gas shearing effect around the bullet. Thus, less smoke and leading. I say this because of the odd bulging you see on the primers compared to all the other powders in the same burn ratio on the charts. None of the rest show this type of pattern on the primer. It's not overpressure, but a different way the powder burns. It's like it initially pops, then the rest of the burn flows the bullet down the barrel. Where as, one would expect a linear rate of burn from ignition to bullet exit as seen from TG. That initial pop seals the lead/moly bullets in the headspace as it exits the cartridge and stops lead from burning and turning into smoke. TG shears, no doubt about it.

I will tell you that I did have issues with leading and buildup in my barrels out of my OEM barrel and a Lone Wolf barrel regardless what powder and everything else, but not everyone has this problem. For example, I can shoot black bullets out of my STI Edge all year long without a single spot of buildup. The difference can simply be variation in producton of the barrels and just a little larger bore (.0005 to .001) can be withing tolerance but allow for a little gas to escape around the bullet. Lead and moly come out easily enough... My first choice of bullets has always been Zero bullets in my Glocks, and will always be the first thing I shoot if possible, but it's nice to have the ability to switch to Moly's for practice or in a shortage. That's why this thread exists.

You can NEVER get rid of all the smoke with a lead or moly bullet no matter what powder you use. Solo 1000 seems to have the least, and even livable at an indoor range. I think Solo 1000 and TG are about equally soft shooting and equal in price. TG loads easier, easier to meter, more accurate to meter. Solo 1000 is harder to meter but cooler and better with lead and moly.

Hope this helped.

Extremely informative. The difference in burn TEMPERATURE was something that hadn't occurred to me as a possible factor.

Thanks. Both of ya. :)

I have a feeling BBs and Solo are going to become my new outdoor/practice load, and TG w/ a Precision FMJ will be what I wind up with for indoors and major matches. At least now I feel comfortable buying a bulk quantity to experiment with.

I too am interested in the Solo 1000 after hearing these reviews. However, I prefer to stay in closer to 135 PF. For those of you

using Solo 1000 already with 147s, is that possible? I realize it will not be as soft shooting but I am trying

to get the softest/cleanest load at that PF.

Craig