Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm MINOR MB 147gr loads

SA Friday

I fired some of the 160 gr bullets today with Solo 1000. Weather was too bad to shoot outside so I fired some in my basement range during lunch. I just took a guess at the powder charge and loaded them to 2.5 gr. That is .1 more than a Titegroup load that makes PF. Recoil felt softer than the TG load. I also compared the recoil to a Clays load of 2.4 gr. that is soft. The Solo was kind of between the two. Closer to Clays than TG. I will have to chrono this weekend to make certain of the PF.

Much less smoke with the Solo.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My loads for 9mm minor seem quite a bit different than what I'm reading here...I'm using 3.9-4.0 gr of WSF under a 147 gr FPBB lead bullet..(I get em locally)...hardest lead I've ever seen too (cannot scratch em). 1.120 OAL, wsp...Recoil is moderate, smoke is minimal, accuracy is ok if I do my part...Stock bbl in my G34 and never a sign of leading after normal cleaning, no build up to worry about...Function is flawless in my 34 and my CZ 75...PF is 128-131 I think. Pressure signs low to moderate, nothing abnormal. I like Win. powders. I use WST for .38 in PPC and for .45 for limited. Always worked well and keeps my powder needs and load data as simple as I can get it. I don't see any reason to change yet. But there are lots of good minor combos available, as shown in this thread. Once you find what you like then that's what you push...If it goes bang everytime and you are happy, that's what it's all about.

Looks like it will take about 3.0 gr of Solo 1000 with a 147 gr plated bullet. I tried 2.8 but came up a little short. 2.8 might make it with a 147 gr lead bullet. OAL was 1.160". 3.0 of Solo and a 147 plated bullet at 1.140" should make PF easily.

2.8 gr of Solo with a 160 moly coated goes 788 fps. OAL was 1.160". I may just leave it at 2.8 and shorten the OAL to 1.150". That should be good for about 10 fps.

2.4 gr of TG and the 160 moly at 1.160" went 804 fps. 3.0 of TG and a 147 plated bullet at 1.140" went 862 fps.

BTW these were all shot from a G34. Temp today was about 52.

Further testing this weekend.

Joe, I've loaded a bunch at 3.2gr of Solo 1000 and am not even close to getting high pressure signs out of my G34. I will be very interested to see your chrono results of a similar load, OAL 1.125.

You're getting a 1.16 OAL to load in your G34 mags? You are not hitting the rifling? wow.

The 160 gr bullet just touches the rifling. Seems like Winchester 115 WB is loaded to 1.170". The Winchester bullet is very pointed. I have not shot enough of Solo yet to determine how dirty or clean it is. It does appear to be fairly clean at first glance.

Ladies and Gentlemen, we have chrono data!

Yes, it's true, I weathered the 20 degree temps in York, PA and chrono'ed five different loads with Precision 147 gr bullets. These were all shot out of a very clean Glock 34. I kept the rounds warm in the vehicle. They were all loaded to 1.125 OAL, mixed brass and WSP primers. I also observed smoke signals while chrono'ing. Here's what I got:

IMR 7625

3.6gr

929 fps

22.15 sd :angry2:

136 pf

smoke was not bad, sd was crap.

Ramshot Comp

3.2gr

946 fps :o

11.26 sd

139 pf

Smoke was white and thick. 139 pf, hmmmm, think I can back off the charge a little :rolleyes: .

TiteGroup

3.0gr

887 fps

11.7 sd

130 pf

SSSMOOOOOKINNNN. Really feels good and shoots accurate, though. If you can handle the smoke, it's a good round.

WST

3.4gr

920 fps

14.7 sd <_<

135 pf

Smoke was not bad at all with WST, but I had them a touch hot. sd was not great, but livable.

Solo 1000

3.2gr

885 fps

8.3 sd

130 pf

Smoke was less than all the other powders. Even my shooting partner commented on how soft these rounds appeared to shoot.

So, that's that. Unless I find some other powder that I can buy 8lbs of for under $100 and shoots better than Solo 1000, I think my work here is done. Thanks Carlos, for recommending this powder. It's good stuff. I had to get over the way it was throwing in my reloader, but after I got over that it impressed me in every way.

Now I have to try Solo 1000 in my 40 S&W under a 185 Precision and see if I like it better than Universal Clays. Man, I hope so. That would be awesome.

SNIP

WST

3.4gr

920 fps

14.7 sd <_<

135 pf

Smoke was not bad at all with WST, but I had them a touch hot. sd was not great, but livable.

Sean,

Did you see any high pressure signs with the WST? I'm thinking of 3.3gr, my OAL is ~1.15. Just want to make minor with a little extra.

Thanks,

Bruce

SNIP

WST

3.4gr

920 fps

14.7 sd <_<

135 pf

Sean,

Did you see any high pressure signs with the WST? I'm thinking of 3.3gr, my OAL is ~1.15. Just want to make minor with a little extra.

Thanks,

Bruce

No, and I was loading to a shorter OAL. You should be OK with 3.3gr of WST. If I was going to shoot this powder, I think that's where I would start out. Be careful though, WST is reverse temp sensitive and I chrono'ed on a 20 degree day. You may see different results from what I got if you chrono on a hot day.

• 1 month later...

A friend of mine requested I test N320 with these so I could comment on the results for comparative purposes. He supplied me with the N320, so how could I say no.

147gr Precision

3.3gr N320

WSP

mixed brass

1.125 OAL

G34=135pf

very smooth to shoot, but smoke was just like Ramshot Comp. It was a thick white smoke, more than WST and more than Solo 1000. You can live with it on a windy day, but don't try to pull off a 4 second El Prez on a still humid day.

I shot the Fredericksburg match yesterday with my reloads and never noticed any smoke. This included 7 shoots thru a barrel at steel. SAFriday was on the same squad, maybe he'll comment on what he saw.

147gr Precision

3.4gr WST

WSP

mixed brass

1.143 OAL

G34

Bruce

I shot the Fredericksburg match yesterday with my reloads and never noticed any smoke. This included 7 shoots thru a barrel at steel. SAFriday was on the same squad, maybe he'll comment on what he saw.

147gr Precision

3.4gr WST

WSP

mixed brass

1.143 OAL

G34

Bruce

Chooo-Choooooooooo! :lol: Just kidding, it wasn't too bad, but there were times the angle of the sun hit it just right and the smoke was very visable.

When it comes down to it, I think you just have to live with some smoke when shooting moly/poly bullets at minor pf. ;)

The fellow loading for the Glock 34 may want to recheck his OAL with Precision 147's. Mine hits at 1.118

Gun Bullet OAL to Rifleing

EAA Ltd Prec. 147 1.088

EAA Ltd MG 124 1.129

EAA Ltd GAT 125 1.187

EAA Ltd P.D. 124 1.198

EAA Ltd Zero 147 1.204

Glock 17 Prec. 147 1.118

Glock 17 GAT 125 1.194

Glock 17 MG 124 1.197

Glock 17 Zero 147 1.223

Glock 17 P.D. 124 1.230

M&P 9 Prec. 147 1.132

M&P 9 MG 124 1.179

M&P 9 GAT 125 1.197

M&P 9 Zero 147 1.223

M&P 9 P.D. 124 1.233

Sig 226 Prec. 147 1.138

Sig 226 MG 124 1.177

Sig 226 GAT 125 1.195

Sig 226 Zero 147 1.223

Sig 226 P.D. 124 1.231

XD 9 TAC Prec. 147 1.096

XD 9 TAC MG 124 1.142

XD 9 TAC GAT 125 1.196

XD 9 TAC P.D. 124 1.204

XD 9 TAC Zero 147 1.211

Edited by Darrell

I have yet to find a bullet profile that I cannot load to an OAL of 1.125 in my Glock 34 or my Glock 17 and be too deep for the rifling. I'm sure there is one out there, but it wasn't any of the 12 or so precisions I initially checked in both OEM barrels and even a Lone Wolf barrel. 1.14 OAL does sound a bit too long, but 1.118 sounds a bit too short. Every barrel has it's own characteristics. We are really talking about a difference of .026 in length, and I would imagine that is well within manufacturing specs for a OEM glock barrel as to where the rifling starts in the barrel.

Then again it could be the build and accuracy of the calipers used in the different measurements. Oh, and then there's the 'human error' factor for the ones measuring it...

There are a lot of things that could result in this difference. Within the relm of OAL, as long as the bullet isn't jammed into the rifling and feeds in the mags, its good to go. I was standing behind Bruce as he fired 150+ of these rounds at the Fredricskburg match. Thr rounds fed and no pressure issues. He's fine.

As a data whore, I must say that listing is awesome.

I load my precision 147's at 1.089 as this works in all my 9mm guns without a problem. I load 124 montana gold at 1.100. Bullet profile is similar to Sierra bullets, and they recommend 1.058. I loaded these to that length with blue dot powder years ago and that was the most accurate 9mm I ever saw. 25 yd 5 shot group was .9 inches shot in a Bennelli pistol.

What great info. I bought some Precision 147's to load for my G34 for USPSA and IDPA. My initial batch was a failure. 3.4 gr of 231 with an OAL of 1.16. Wouldn't feed/eject reliably or lock the slide back. My Glock has never bobbled on 1000+ rounds of WWB 115's.

I'm going to find some Solo 1000 and try a shorter OAL, say 1.125 or so.

Anyone have any comment on using the SOLO1000 in a Dillon press? Does it meter OK?

I know of a couple who have used dillon powder charges with Solo 1000 here, and have had no issues. Just make sure you take the time to check and recheck your powder throws.

Anyone have any comment on using the SOLO1000 in a Dillon press? Does it meter OK?

I know of a couple who have used dillon powder charges with Solo 1000 here, and have had no issues. Just make sure you take the time to check and recheck your powder throws.

Thanks, I can't find it easily locally, so I am thinking of doing a big enough order to make it worth while to mailorder some powder. It's all on you buddy if I don't like the stuff ;).

Thanks, I can't find it easily locally, so I am thinking of doing a big enough order to make it worth while to mailorder some powder. It's all on you buddy if I don't like the stuff ;).

Start with a lb and work your way from there. Call Lizard and see if anyone is doing an order from powder valley or TnT and piggyback the order. That's the best way.

BTW, I ain't skerd B) . I tested almost 1500 rounds and the results are in this thread.

I've used it in my 450/550, and have had no problems. SDs were around 11 for 4.7 grains under a 230 grain RNL in .45 ACP (748 fps from my M&P), and that was with mixed brass of various ages.

Start with a lb and work your way from there. Call Lizard and see if anyone is doing an order from powder valley or TnT and piggyback the order. That's the best way.

BTW, I ain't skerd B) . I tested almost 1500 rounds and the results are in this thread.

I have ventured off on my own with powder choices in the past. Only powders I have every really liked are the same ones I see people on this forum talking about. So I feel pretty safe with this choice.

I've used it in my 450/550, and have had no problems. SDs were around 11 for 4.7 grains under a 230 grain RNL in .45 ACP (748 fps from my M&P), and that was with mixed brass of various ages.

Do I need to get the extra small charge bar for my 550 or will the one that came with my machine be OK.