Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

which 1911 SS .22 kit (worried about mags)

Beretta Lover

I am willing to pay for a good .22 single stack conversion, I am concerned that with my SA slimline magwell that the .22 mags won't fit or work

The front of the magwell is open, so I would think the bottom of the .22 base pad would fit up in the magwell OK, but I would like to hear from someone who has a Kimber, Ciener, Marvel etc.

I would use this on my Kimber custom II singl stack .45

I had a first gen Marvel....couldnt get it 100%.....I have a new Marvel....we will see. I also have a TacSol unit coming with their mags as well.

I will post when I have some hard data and some rounds through the new top ends.....

DougC

I have the kimber conversion and my ss has the sa magwell and mags will not work with the mag well the base pads on the kimber mags are to wide for it. but i fixed it by taking the base pad off and running a pin across the mag so that it didnt need the base pad to hold all the parts and spring in.

Marvel is the way to go. Buy all your extra magazines from them and you will be fine. I have two on Caspian frames. The one I use for Steel Challenge has had a bunch :P of rounds through it. I started having some snaps but after a new firing pin all is well now. :cheers:

The new kit I got from Marvel runs like a champ, and the magazine is a different design than the other Metalforms I had, with a different spacer in the back and a different follower as well.

So far so good with good ammo.....

DougC

My Ceiner (Ciener?) conversion works really well on my Kimber with the SA slimline magwell. They also have 15 round mags available which was a big plus for me. One of the guys at our local .22 match had a Kimber conversion on his gun and he tried my Ciener mags out. They worked perfectly in his gun. If I had to do it over again I think I would buy the Kimber conversion, since it has nicer sights, and the Ciener mags. YMMV.

-ld

I run a Kimber conversion on my Kimber Gold Match and love it, runs flawlessly. Added a FO front sight to match the one on the gun and shoot a .22 Steel Challenge Match every fourth Sunday, or did until this month and it has been cancelled... :angry:

I run a SA magwell and the Kimber .22 mags DO NOT work with the magwell unless you take a dremel/file and remove some material from the sides of the base. It took less than five minutes to dremel, sand with 600 grit paper to fit and clean both mags. I have since bought a 15 rounder from Brownells and it runs perfect with no modifications due to the basepad design.

Edited by CDRODA396

I run a Kimber conversion on my Kimber Gold Match and love it, runs flawlessly. Added a FO front sight to match the one on the gun and shoot a .22 Steel Challenge Match every fourth Sunday, or did until this month and it has been cancelled... :angry:

Where did you find a FO front sight to fit that Kimber? The one that came on my Kimber 22 Conversion was a real monster. I believe it is 0.250 tall!

OMG where did you get your 22kit for the 2011 i have been looking HIGH and LOW for one please message me!!! i cant find any thing :(:(:(:(

I have two conversion from Marvel, I use them in my 1911 frames and 2011 frames without problems very accurat. Just have to remeber to use the right magazine :rolleyes:

I am very satiesfied with my Marvels

Tom, sorry for getting your hopes up.....I got some of my old mags back today and checked them out....same Metalforms...I just didnt remember the spacer the way it is..... :blink:

I did mike the "new" magazine and the front area of the mag is opened to around .212. I opened the old mags up to that spec(they were closed, to around .160 or so) and shot around 300 rds tonight with Blazer .22 rounds. The gun only pukes when I slow the slide down with my thumb not being on the safety.

So far the new Marvel unit runs, and I have some new SK ammo coming to try in it this week as well. With a 19lb mainspring the gun runs, and I cant get it to puke. A EGW thumbguard and I will be unstoppable......yeah, right!

Regards,

DougC

Hey guys, sorry I'm late getting to this thread, I was waiting to talk to the guys at Tactical Solutions to try and nail down a firm date that the 1911 conversion will be available. The good news is, the first production run should be shipping within a few weeks, the bad news is that all of the first production run has already been sold. They are taking back-orders for the next run which right now looks like it should be ready in the next few months.

I haven't had any problems with my conversion unit, it feed with any kind of ammo put in it and is very accurate with any decent ammo. I've had pretty good luck with Federal bulk ammo, but it tends to be a little hit or miss package-to-package accuracy wise, I bought a 550 rd. pack from Wal-Mart in CA and could hit the same spot all day long at 20 yards, but a 525 rd. from a local gunshop looked like I was shooting buckshot at 10 yards. I've been having good consistency with CCI Mini-mag, and is probably what I'll shoot during matches from now on.

The best thing by far about the conversion is the magazines, which easily come completely apart for cleaning, are easy to seat with 10 rounds and heavy-duty. They really did their homework when they designed the magazines and they are probably some of the best pistol magazines (of any caliber) I've ever seen. You won't be disappointed with a Tactical Solutions conversion.

Yep, I have shot the TacSol Upper and am patiently waiting on my unit. The mags that we handled at the Steel Challenge were first rate, and have a better angle from the mag to the feedramp. The proof is in the pudding though, and BJ was definitely able to produce wtih his Upper this year! :cheers:

The one thing that I would tell others....we all like .22 since it is cheap, but when we are buying top end stuff like the TacSol and the Marvel we have to remember that it may not like the cheap stuff and if the gun wont run on the cheap stuff, then we have to dig deep and get some CCI or better ammo. I am still learning this painful lesson. It is good that the TacSol will run in the Fed 550 box though.....

Cheers,

DougC

Bryan,

They do have a tab to engage the slide stop, however mine are hit or miss whether it locks back due to the dimple in the slide stop to keep it from getting bumped on. Dan told me at Steel Challenge that they were going to re-design the tab for more positive engagement.

I haven't seen mention of the Advantage Arms unit. It was extensively tested by a retired Bullseye smith and suggestions for changes were incorporated through 5 or 6 iterations. I'm referring to the "target" model not the general purpose unit that will handle HV ammo. Based on his experience and my past dealings with him, I'd take any recommendations of his as gospel, and he loves the current version....and they reliably lockback.

Only issue is that they're cranking out Glock 22 conversions so fast that production on the 1911 Target top-end has been a second priority.

Link is...

http://www.advantagearms.com/

/Bryan

Edited by Canuck-IL