Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Pistol grip or Straight stock

BushBaby

It depends on how you reload.

With handloading (vs. sticks) my preference would be:

Weakhand => Either one. But I prefer pistol.

Stronghand => straight stock.

If you load stronghand the pistol grip will get in the way of the reload.

With weakhand reloads I feel that the PG makes it a lot easier to hold the gun up for the reload. With a straight stock I feel more stress on the wrist.

In addition if you shoot an AR15 a PG shotgun will feel more similar than if you used a straight stock shotgun.

Also, for me, I think a PG makes it easier to drive the gun. The gun is also easier to control when you have to shoot the shotgun dismounted... say with the buttstock over your shoulder... to shoot at awkward targets.

But then again there is also a functioning issue in using a PG w/a Benelli and some people say PG stocks have more felt recoil than a straight stock. But if your M4 works and you don't mind the recoil these negatives wouldn't apply.

• 2 weeks later...
Come on some one has to know plus's or minus's to them?

Personally, I prefer the pistol grip - loading weakhand. The pistol grip allows you to contol the cant while reloading easier.

I also feel it makes it easier to drive the gun.

As far as felt recoil.... most everyone shoot is 2 3/4 wimpy birdshot and low reciol slugs...

I prefer the pistol grip for transitioning from strong to weak shoulder.

It comes down to knowing how to use what you have.

Only two guys use them at the top of the 3-gun world, the rest use "straight stocks". OOPS I forgot the two USSA brothers, so I guess that would make it four. The pistol grip tend to make a shooter drop his elobws down which is the worst thing you can do to shoot fast and accurately with a shotgun. It also makes weak hand loading almost imposible from the shoulder so the tendency is to drop the butt under the arm to load, no big thing, but then you must remount the gun before shooting. Internationally, where they do alot of unloaded starts the pistol grip is a BIG detriment, because of having to first "get a grip" to start loading as the shotgun doen't slide into the shooting position because of ...the pistol grip. To each his own, but I am ALWAYS happy to see guys show up with a pistol grip at a major match. KURTM

A comment was made about easier to cant the gun with a PG???????????

I have no trouble what so ever canting the gun to assist loading weak hand, or any other purpose. As Kurt said it is much easier to hold the gun in the shoulder while loading weak hand with a regular stock as opposed to a PG. The PG seems to be a natural pivot point and when your shotgun is muzzle heavy you will tend to drop the muzzle, which leads folks to tucking the butt under the should to help stop this from happening. As far as driving the gun, I feel like I "drive" with my weak hand more than my strong hand.

play with both if you can, and decide for yourself, you should be able to sell either stock when you find which you prefer.

Trapr

Edited by bigbrowndog

Hey Big Brown Gamer, I think they were saying I "cant" load the gun so I have to turn it twards me. REMEMBER the shell WANT to be in the gun, the shells want to be in the gun, the shells want to be in the gun!! Dale is bringing the trimmer! Shoot well amigo! KURTM

Pistol Grip !!! - allows for so much more utility with any shotgun, remember your match gun could be called on to save your life, and your defense gun could be called on to win a match, go with pistol grips on all your shotguns except trap/clays/hunting - there I love true straight, ala british style sprayguns or ye old lever model m Win 49 style.

Jkushner1.

Kelly you just aren't looking at this the "right" way. The pistol grip is Way more usefull than the straight stock. You can prop the shotgun up on a wall and then you have a VERY handy step on which to climb up on! You can use it like a hook to help pull yourself over a wall. You can hold it in one hand while drinking your capaccino and juggling your cell phone. You can use it to pull peolple out of the way with out exposing yourself to incoming fire, or snag a pesky toddler that is running away from you. You can use it to pound stakes into the ground while setting up a match, after all your play gun and your real gun might be the same. It give you a great place to mono-pod while shooting prone one handed. And last but not least it makes a great seat when stranded in a desert with no place to sit down! :lol: KURTM

I'll agree that a pistol grip does allow the shotgun to be controlled more easily with one hand, if you're going to be shooting it one handed - a good way to jam up a recoil operated Benelli by the way - and as Kurt said it makes a nifty step and seat. So I suppose there may be "tactical" utility in the pistol grip but pistol-gripped shotguns certainly don't dominate 3 gun. Of course, it's also easier to disarm someone with a pistol gripped weapon (as the stock serves as a point of leverage on the hand during a takeaway). So to each his own but the best shotgun shooting that I've ever seen has been done with straight stocked shotguns. In fact 2 of our 3 recent multigun National Champs were shooting straight stocked guns.

Lots of pistol grip hating going on here :D . A lot depends on your loading technique and your physique. I simply find a PG stock more comfortable. It probably has something to do with how my hands/arms are built, but I find traditional straight stocks put my wrist at an uncomfortable angle. I guess this is something the military discovered a long time ago, as pretty much all modern military rifles have PGs. As I said above, it all boils down to personal preference (what works best for you).

No hate going on, comfort is good! I just like them is good, They make a shotgun much more utile...well that,s like a cat watching a mouse when the mouse moves the cat will pounce upon it and PLAY!

You do have a point about the "modern" military rifles all haviung a pistol grip, BUT... none of them are in a heavy recoiling caliber! Most are in the varmint cartridge range and recoil control on these is just plain non existent. Now when we start gertting into stuff that produces a modicum of recoil (.308) we start to see the difference in recoil control, at least for me. I can fire two A zone hits at CQB ranges MUCH faster with an M-14 than with a AR-10, and My 14 DOESN't have a muzzle brake. The shot disperssion is a bit vertical (1-2" at 15 yards) where as the AR-10s tend to scatter side to side AND verticle, unless it has a very serious brake!

Now step that recoil up to shotgun levels and two things start to occur, The stock design , like Benny pointed, out tends to make the muzzle jump, and Almost all shooters start to push forward on the pistol grip to help manage recoil. This causes shots to go high over targets, and I have seen alot of folks shooting plate racks with their pistol gripped scatterguns start to go over about the 3rd to 4th round ( does any of this sound familier?) ESPECIALLY when stressed like a timer or sound of breaking glass. No I don't hate pistol grips, I just don't have any use for them for the way I shoot...BUT...I do have some pesky kids I need to go hook! :lol: KURTM

Kelly you just aren't looking at this the "right" way. The pistol grip is Way more usefull than the straight stock. You can prop the shotgun up on a wall and then you have a VERY handy step on which to climb up on! You can use it like a hook to help pull yourself over a wall. You can hold it in one hand while drinking your capaccino and juggling your cell phone. You can use it to pull peolple out of the way with out exposing yourself to incoming fire, or snag a pesky toddler that is running away from you. You can use it to pound stakes into the ground while setting up a match, after all your play gun and your real gun might be the same. It give you a great place to mono-pod while shooting prone one handed. And last but not least it makes a great seat when stranded in a desert with no place to sit down! :lol: KURTM

Ok Kurt, I get the point! <_<

I really don't think it matters as long as you find out what you like, what you're fastest with and how much you are willing to practice to become the best with the choice you made.

Is anyone picking the indian vs. arrow vibe I'm trying to throw down here? ;)