Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best mag for .40 single stack

3gunnah

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a tripp & it does not agree w/ my frame.

There was a brand they sold through brownels - I think it was "maidenform" or metalform. Caution - buy the 10mm ones and not the .40s The 40s have a spacer & won't let you load very long at all.

I've been using the CmC 9 round 10mm mags for years and haven't tried Tripp's yet but hear they're good. I have about 2 dozen Metalform 10mm mags that work well but are used for practice currently as the CMCs are 100%...

NOT to be the :devil: 's advocate, but .40 SS's just don't work as well as .45's

I understand the whole, "I am already set-up for .40 and it is just easier to shoot .40 for SS as well." But....

It is not difficult to change calibers on Dillons, even the 1050 is not tough.

So....

Why not shoot a more reliable gun, get a .45

Hello: Try the stock 45 mags. They will hold 1 more round of 40 than 45. I like the Power mags, Wilson 47D and the Metalform 45-7 rounders that hold 8 rounds. The Tripp's did not work for me at all. Try the 45 mags since they are cheap and easy to sell if they don't work. Thanks, Eric

Hey Z,

more reliable is also subjective. My Tripp worked over .40 Trojan runs great compared to some .45's I've watched recently. It's all about finding the right combination regardless of caliber.

Interesting, my .45's have never had a problem, and I hear of many people with .40 issues, not only related to mags I might add.

Obviously, YMMV ;)

• 2 weeks later...

I just got four of Virgil's Gen II mags. I got two .40 mags and two 10mm mags. The only difference is the .40 mags have a spacer in the back.

I had some of his original mags when they first hit the market and these are much nicer. The tubes look fantastic! Price is about the same.

Range report later.

I don't have any personal experience with single stack .40 mags yet. I have a Wilson CQB .40 ordered. I was talking to Matt at Willson Combat the other day and he told me that they now have a .40 specific mag that would work on the CQB as well as 10mm's (Deltas, etc.).

FWIW,

Bob

NOT to be the :devil: 's advocate, but .40 SS's just don't work as well as .45's

I understand the whole, "I am already set-up for .40 and it is just easier to shoot .40 for SS as well." But....

It is not difficult to change calibers on Dillons, even the 1050 is not tough.

So....

Why not shoot a more reliable gun, get a .45

Be interesting to get the equipment results from the Limited 10 Nationals to see how many thought their 40 was reliable enough for the Nationals. The first afternoon there was not a single 45 case on the ground on my stage. If I remember correctly Robby was shooting a 40.

Your best value would be the Wilson .45 8rd. mags. They work in a .40 even with a .45 slide lock and you can use them with your .45 also. I have some Cobra Tripp's and they work great. I think they have the best follower of all single stack mags. They are probably the best magazines but the most expensive. Also, because they are made to hold the bullet up a little higher, if you shoot SWCs you have to make sure your barrel is chamfered on the hood. The key to .40 is the follower and how the bullets stack up in the mag. They tend to nose dive. With .40 in a single stack you need good mags.