Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shooting the Texas Deathstar with a revo

Neomet

Figured I would post this here since it is more a revo question than anything else.

Texas stars. Definitely not my strong point. I don't think I have ever cleaned them in 6 shots. Given that I am seriously considering coming over to the revo-lution full time I was looking for some insight on how to deal with these given my non-TGO shooting skills.

My first guess it to spend more time and be as accurate as possible but when she runs dry its time to move on. With a 3 second reload and no guarantee that I will hit the bloody thing on my next shot it would seem that if I only have one plate left it is better to leave it. Two left, I should probably do the reload and plug away again.

Any advice would really be appreciated. I'm just totally lost on this one, other than to practice more whenever they set the TS up for a match.

Figured I would post this here since it is more a revo question than anything else.

Texas stars. Definitely not my strong point. I don't think I have ever cleaned them in 6 shots. Given that I am seriously considering coming over to the revo-lution full time I was looking for some insight on how to deal with these given my non-TGO shooting skills.

My first guess it to spend more time and be as accurate as possible but when she runs dry its time to move on. With a 3 second reload and no guarantee that I will hit the bloody thing on my next shot it would seem that if I only have one plate left it is better to leave it. Two left, I should probably do the reload and plug away again.

Any advice would really be appreciated. I'm just totally lost on this one, other than to practice more whenever they set the TS up for a match.

I've never had the pleasure of shooting one... can't wait to give it a go. If worse comes to worse you need only throw five shots at it and move on. ;)

I consistently shoot these things in one cylinder full of ammo. You can't go chasing the plates, you need to wait till the plate is about to stop, anticipate it, and break the shot as the plate is stopping. It also depends on distance to the Star, but usually they keep the distance under 15 yards. At that short distance, a slow moving 45 will have no problem making contact and knocking the plate off it. As with anything new, it's a case of experience. Similar to a moving target, you just need experience and the ability to call your shot. There is usually a good way to shoot these things unless the joke.. er stage designer activates it in motion before you start shooting it.

To really figure one out you need to beat on it a while.

typically shoot them from the top down and let gravity keep it pretty well still.

If they are counter weighted all bets are off, your time on it at the practice range comes in handy here.

They are not hard, only if you make them hard.

I have cleaned one that was not spinning in 2.52 from the draw. I did one that was already moving in a little less than that but can't remember the exact time.

Find a range that has one and spend a little quality time with it. :cheers:

Hopalong

To really figure one out you need to beat on it a while.

typically shoot them from the top down and let gravity keep it pretty well still.

If they are counter weighted all bets are off, your time on it at the practice range comes in handy here.

They are not hard, only if you make them hard.

I have cleaned one that was not spinning in 2.52 from the draw. I did one that was already moving in a little less than that but can't remember the exact time.

Find a range that has one and spend a little quality time with it. :cheers:

Hopalong

That is actually my main problem. They keep all the steel including the TS locked up until stage setup on Saturday. My plan is to get out there on Saturdays and just shoot the bejeezus out of it if they have it set up for Sunday.

With me, it's how well I'm calling my shots that day. You've heard it said that slower is faster. Well, I think that is the key for me. If I chase the plates, I'm going to miss them. If I wait for them to come to a certain point that will almost stand still before reversing, I am pretty consistant.

Like hopalong said, To figure it out, you need to pound on it a while.

FWIW

dj

No different than any other steel, just start at the top and work down. I like to go Top, Right, Left, bottom Left, bottom Right.

You just don't want to start chasing them. Oh and stay away from Manny and the Swinging Texas Star.

Oddly enough, sometimes shooting the Texas Star faster actually makes the task easier. They don't have time to get moving if you knock the plates off fast enough!

+1 The death part of the Star is the hesitation. <_< You can do the math off the points and time.

If you have a stage with just the star and USPSA score your looking at 25 point div/time but if you have a 100 point stage the star is just 1/4 of the points. shoot the 100 point stage in 20 seconds the stare takes 10 of that to get just 1/4 of the score if you take six fast shots and get just 4 you are down 10 + 10 per miss, 30points and have just used 5 seconds or less shot the stage in 15 seconds 15 div X 70=HF of 4,66hf Or make the reload add 6 seconds and get the points = 21 sec /100 points HF 4.76 You gota know your speed on a reload and target transition.

Do the math with just one miss and the less time :blink: with just one miss the HF goes to 5.33 @15 seconds

One thing for shurr is the faster you get the first three target on the star= the less it moves and the easyer it is.

for a fast shooter the star is not that big a deal.

Edited by AlamoShooter

I don't see what the problem people have with star.

I shoot one all the time

Last year we had a side match at the Bianchi Cup and Tony Holmes picked up a gun from a table and shot a 5 pt star in 4.4 seconds or there abouts. That is about as fast as I have seen it done.

My times are not as fast but the best way to shoot it is to start at the top. if it starts spinning wait till it stops to reverse direction and pop the plate.

there is some video on our web site Secure Firearm Products of me and others shooting both 6 and 5 pt stars.

Good Luck

I don't see what the problem people have with star.

I shoot one all the time

And therein lies the problem - many of us have little or no access to them. The only chance I have to shoot steel is at matches, which is why I'm uncomfortable with it.

The only chance I have to shoot steel is at matches, which is why I'm uncomfortable with it.

I've never shot a star except in a match. In fact, I almost never shoot at all, except during matches.

(Then again, I do shoot quite a few matches!)

Please explain a weighted texas star. Does it have an eccentric weight and is activated by a popper?

I think you got it Tom. The ones I've seen are proped up with a weight hung on the star. and when the stick is removed, usually by a falling popper and a string/cable, the star will start to spin. Think transition and you could get a plate or to before the star begins to move if the popper is close enough. And on some stars the weight is there so that the star is set in the same position for all shooters and keeps the same leg in the downward position. The next time I see a weighted star with the popper set up I will try to hit the popper then the plate closest to the weight. Nothing like experimenting during a match. :blink:

any one who has been to the nationals the last 2 years in tulsa or the IRC the last two years might have seen our start with the spinning no shoots behind it.

there is video on our web site of them. Secure Firearm Products Have fun.

Our weighted star uses a weight on a pole attached to the shaft and when the popper or other triggering device is hit the stick is pulled out and the star starts to turn. the weight falls off and the star then acts like a normal start when the plates are hit.

Neo,

as you could tell by watching cliff shoot a revo at a star or Sam C. shoot it it can be done. However I shoot a Star alot and as you could tell I suck at shooting one with a revo. Some days are good some days are baaad!

It was great shooting with you this weekend.

I can post the video of cliff shooting the star if you want.

dcs