Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Florida Open 2008

Cheers Guys.

It's great how quick we can pass information around.

It's hard to think about life without the Internet...

Like XRe said last year cold, warm, wet and dry we had it all. I'd be hard pressed not to attend without long johns, gloves, a warm coat and rain gear. Then again it could be t-shirt weather. Ya jut never know what yer gonna get in FLA this time of the year :rolleyes:

Right now it doesn't look like I can make it this year, work is in the way :angry2: I hope you all have a great time!

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ok I have 2 questions for you guys. First, Does anyone know if there are still slots left to shoot this. I was able to get off of work with short notice, and am able to go. I emailed Frank at frankgarciausa but was wondering if anyone else knew already. Secondly, I'm a young poor guy and wondering if anyone wants to split a hotel/motel room for the weekend??? I'm going to be getting a rental car also, but the fact that I'm under 25 is bad enough. I'd gladly sleep on a floor even... Thanks a lot guys.

As of today there are still slots available and you still have time to get in at the low fee if you act quickly.

Hopefully others can chime in with help on the room/car.

Good luck

Ok I have 2 questions for you guys. First, Does anyone know if there are still slots left to shoot this. I was able to get off of work with short notice, and am able to go. I emailed Frank at frankgarciausa but was wondering if anyone else knew already. Secondly, I'm a young poor guy and wondering if anyone wants to split a hotel/motel room for the weekend??? I'm going to be getting a rental car also, but the fact that I'm under 25 is bad enough. I'd gladly sleep on a floor even... Thanks a lot guys.
Edited by L9X25

Well I got a couple questions answered by Wadette. They do have slots available so it looks like I'll be shooting Sat AM and Sun PM. Is anyone else shipping ammo to the range? I was told there wouldn't always be someone there, you think that would be an issue? Thanks a lot.

As of today there are still slots available and you still have time to get in at the low fee if you act quickly.

Hopefully others can chime in with help on the room/car.

Good luck

For the last 3-4 years I have always shipped my ammo down ahead of time, never a problem.

I am not sure that someone will be there on a daily basis to accept the ammo shipment. You will need to confirm the address to use for this year with Frank. It is possible that he might want you to use a different address and then transport the ammo to the range himself.

But I take it that if I buy the Ammo through Frank, or get him to order it for me, (depending whether I am allowed to bring my pistol or have to borrow one of his), I take it that will be an OK way of me having ammo at the match?

Or does someone have a better way?

I have never flown/shot in US, but when I have flown /shot in Europe we can carry 5 kilos of ammo per person, which is about 400 - 450 rounds.

But it is easier to travel without ammo.

So, does anyone have any helpful ideas, or shall I purchase everything through Frank?

Just out of interest, if/when I do get approval through ATF to bring my pistol, is it then legally possible to go to a Gun Shop in Florida and purchase rounds myself?

and lastly...

I heard that guns are not allowed in the NY area???

I think I will fly from Europe to Newark and then get a Transfer Flight to Miami.

Is it then allowed, (If I am allowed by ATF), to come to USA via Newark and then Transfer to Miami with my Pistol/ammo, etc.

Any help is good help...

But I take it that if I buy the Ammo through Frank, or get him to order it for me, (depending whether I am allowed to bring my pistol or have to borrow one of his), I take it that will be an OK way of me having ammo at the match?

Or does someone have a better way?

I have never flown/shot in US, but when I have flown /shot in Europe we can carry 5 kilos of ammo per person, which is about 400 - 450 rounds.

But it is easier to travel without ammo.

So, does anyone have any helpful ideas, or shall I purchase everything through Frank?

Just out of interest, if/when I do get approval through ATF to bring my pistol, is it then legally possible to go to a Gun Shop in Florida and purchase rounds myself?

and lastly...

I heard that guns are not allowed in the NY area???

I think I will fly from Europe to Newark and then get a Transfer Flight to Miami.

Is it then allowed, (If I am allowed by ATF), to come to USA via Newark and then Transfer to Miami with my Pistol/ammo, etc.

There should be no problem with shipped ammo. If it will help you can let me know (by tracking #) and I can have someone there to accept it.

Any help is good help...

A point in note, Frostproof does not live up to it's name, it was freezing ass cold there last year, chances are it will be blistering hot in 2008, take clothing for all possible conditions.

It really was a great match, but make sure you kow the shooting format, as it is not like most other competitions, be prepared to sit and wait, if your an impatient shooter, this is not the match for you.

I am dissapoint that I will have to miss it this year, as I will be out of the country.

It really was a great match, but make sure you kow the shooting format, as it is not like most other competitions, be prepared to sit and wait, if your an impatient shooter, this is not the match for you.

Frank and the match staff responded to feedback and changed the format this year. Pay attention, man!!! :lol: Instead of the 1 on, 1 off rotation that you experienced last year, its being shot in two half-day formats, and had 2 stages added, as well, so the dead time on each stage should be less. For instance, I'm shooting Saturday PM and Sunday AM. The other rotation is shooting Saturday AM, Sunday PM. There's still an all-day Friday group - two more stages makes that even more of a marathon, this year... ;)

same address as on Frank's website?

Use the address listed on the match application, which is the same as listed on the web site.

Does anyone have a minimum round count for the 12 stages?

The match is listed as 300 rounds and that will be pretty accurate. I usually bring a minimum of 50% more for a safety margin.

Does anyone know where I can purchase 2000 rounds of 9mm 115 gr FMJ Ammo?

I have been using CCI Blazer Brass 9mm Luger 115 gr FMJ.

(Not the aluminum type Blazers, I don't like them.)

Also, preferably the cheapest place.

and... if possible, in Florida, I guess because of the shipping to Franks place?

Lastly, is there any problems of a foreign shooter, (thats me), buying ammo in USA?

I would ship it to Franks place?

Cheers... Guys.

Yaarr,

There should be no problem with you purchasing ammo in the states to use here. Some states require retailers to ask for ID if you look underage <_< .

The hardest part might be the shipping of the ammo. You'll have to ship it from a UPS or Fedex location. Not one those retail locations like Office Depot, Office Max, Staples, etc, etc.

2000 rounds for the Florida Open match? The match application says 300+ rounds. Will you be taking a class before or after the match?

You might want to call or e-mail Frank and see if you can order bullets from him. It'll save you the hassle of looking for ammo when you get to the match.

Edited by yoshidaex

Does anyone know where I can purchase 2000 rounds of 9mm 115 gr FMJ Ammo?

I have been using CCI Blazer Brass 9mm Luger 115 gr FMJ.

(Not the aluminum type Blazers, I don't like them.)

Also, preferably the cheapest place.

and... if possible, in Florida, I guess because of the shipping to Franks place?

Lastly, is there any problems of a foreign shooter, (thats me), buying ammo in USA?

I would ship it to Franks place?

Cheers... Guys.

If you were really lucky one WalMArt might have that many, but you could easily be running all around town getting some here and some there.

Worst case scenario, if you can't find ammo or even at a reasonable price you can try Bass Pro Shops Outdoor World. Heres the link to the ammo page http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/s...t=SearchResults

The store in Orlando is on the way to the range a short hop off the main interstate. They usually have bricks of ammo in 500 round packs, they traditionally have been the cheapest. UMC (remington) is what they will carry in a 500 round case. Hope this helps, if not Im sure Frank will be able to cover your ammo needs. H

Will there be permanent R.O's on each stage or will it be like the State Chmp (traveling)? I know they usually dont publish stage diagrams, although any ideas on what we expect besides a great time? Thanks H

Will there be permanent R.O's on each stage or will it be like the State Chmp (traveling)? I know they usually dont publish stage diagrams, although any ideas on what we expect besides a great time? Thanks H

The Florida Open will have Fixed RO's, as it always has.

The Florida Open will have Fixed RO's, as it always has.

Thanks, H

I need a hotel update -

Its been at least 3 years since I have stayed at the Green Gables. If I recall correctly, it was in need of an update then. AC's were iffy and the room I stayed in had a humidity problem. It used to be a popular place among shooters. I was rather surprised they still have rooms available...I am wondering why? Is there something I need to know about?

I wanted to stay at the New Holliday Inn Express in Sebring but they were booked up in September. I tried the Days Inn and they told me they have changed to a "Safari Inn". The guy I spoke to cause all sorts of red flags to go up - "I think we have rooms available" . He could not confirm. Is this the place where the cars got broken into at the Fla State 2 years ago?

I am bummed that the only Hampton Inn in the area is in Winter Haven and they want 75000 points for a Rewards Stay! :surprise: They show one "Opening Soon" n Avon Park.

I have rooms at the Holiday Inn Express in Winter Havan and the Green Gables. I am trying to decide which one I should stay with. Winter Haven is about a 30 minute drive to the range, is it not?

Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks.

I need a hotel update -

I have rooms at the Holiday Inn Express in Winter Havan and the Green Gables. I am trying to decide which one I should stay with. Winter Haven is about a 30 minute drive to the range, is it not?

I had the same sort of "mind problem".

Also, I am not from the States, so it was really guesswork.

But the two things that got me through were.

1. Boo Radley's comments.

2. There was nowhere else to book. (probably motels, or whatever, but I would not like to chance that).