Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Chevy Pickumup Trucks

Seriously thinking about buying a new truck via the Costco invoice program. I was looking at a diesel, but I don't think the fuel economy outweighs the price tag. So I'll probably go with gas. Anybody have a newish Chev/GMC with the active fuel management that shuts off 4 cylinders when you're cruising?

Any other bugaboos with the new Chevys to be aware of? What kind of road mileage are you getting? (I'm thinking about a 1/2 ton 4x4 with the crew cab and long bed)

Thanks!

Edited by EricW

C heap

H eap

E very

V alve

R attles

O il

L eaks

E very

T ime.

Any way, you probably need to take a serious look at actual verses perceived needs, items like the V-8, 4X4 and rear end ratio can make a pretty big difference in fuel use. Given equal vehicles the number one factor in fuel use is the driver, keep foot out of it and if you are ever hitting the brakes hard in no emergency stops youre wrong, With a few years experience dealing specifically with squeezing gas what I have learned is fuel use has more to do with load and basic engine design, sorta why the same driver will get the same mileage out of a 1/2ton 4.3 vortec and the 305's, given the same rear ends , The engines are the same with exception of missing two cylinders. From an engineering standpoint I really dont see how cutting off cylinders while cruising will gain much, as the amount of fuel burned in the running cylinders will increase as the overall load hasnt changed. Also KISS is a rule to live by as many corners as GM has a habit of cutting, that's pretty much one more gadjet to screw up. If GM wanted to impress me they could build a 1/2 ton V-8 powered truck that actually gets better gas mileage than my grandfathers 1968 model. Seems if they actually cared they could come up with some improvement in 40 years.

Eric,

My Dad bought a new Silverado with the V-8 system you're talkin' about. It runs great, purrs likes a kitten and gas mileage isn't bad at all. Yeah, it's a "big" engine and all that garbage, but at cruising speeds, that big engine is hardly workin' and you pick up the efficiency.

Buy with confidence.

Rich

As a former GM dealer tech the engine has been very durable, regular oil changes cannot be overstressed with any vehicle.

The perameters for the cylinder s to drop are fairly narrow,in town and towing a load will pretty much keep it from coming into play for what its worth.Gear ratios and optional equipment (like GIANT grill guards and bumpers) effect fuel mileage.I think its a good choice.

Remember.... your mileage may vary.........................

F ix

O r

R epair

D aily ........... sorry, couldn't resist. :rolleyes:

Active Fuel Management has been in use now on these engines for a few years, and there has been ZERO issues with durability or design occuring from not using a more "KISS" approach.

The FOUR (4) cylinders that cutoff in fuel saving mode, are done so by shutting off fuel injection and spark to those cylinders, as well as some physical magic in keeping those 4 sets of valves from operating normally. In any case, this not the old 4-6-8 Caddy engine from a few decades ago that physically stopped the pistons moving, etc..... by those standards, mechanically, this IS KISS.

Fuel mileage gains? Depends on how its driven. As Rennie stated, the 4 cylinders only shutdown when the engine is not under load...... coasting, downhill, etc. Normal town driving, accelerating to highway speed, and even maintaining highway speed with a headwind, or carrying a load the full 8 will probably be running. There is a measurable increase in fuel mileage, if you can keep your foot out of the throttle.

The Vortec 5.3 is rated 16 in town, 20 hwy..... a 1968 Chevy PU with a 327 and two barrel vacuum secondary carb may be able to do 20+ on the highway, being babied..... but I challenge any '68 truck to get better than 16 in town, wit hA/C on, and have the quietness, comfortable interior and smooth ride that only the newest technology can provide. And don't forget the 100K mile powertrain factory warranty (transferable!). ;)

Yes, I work for GM. :blush:

In reference to Joe's post though, this is technology that's been around since the 1950s Cadilac had a straight-8 that did this same thing. Granted, they did it differently, but for the same types of reasons. Just FYI.

Old tech being made better, all I can say is it's about time.

Honda is doing this same thing with their new V-6s though, as does Dodge with the Hemi. As to how well Chevy's works, I don't know, but from what I've seen from all the "domestic" manufacturers lately they've gotten a clue that they haven't had for the last 10 years. They are no longer making vehicles that are "shoddy" compared to the foreign makers, so I would definitely take a look.

Interesting. The boss has a 2006(7?) Corvette and it apparently *does* shut down 4 cyls during cruise, but obviously it's got better aerodynamics.

Do the diesels get any better mileage or is it only torque/towing benefits? I noticed that there are *no* mileage #'s listed for any of the Duramax models. I have this crazy idea that I'll try biodiesel one of these days, but $7K is a heck of a premium to mess with it.

Do the diesels get any better mileage or is it only torque/towing benefits?

Eric,

I don't have first hand experience with pickups, but with normal cars I do.

I have driven "normal" cars for about 12yrs, and since 2000 diesel ones.

Comparing two engines of same power and engine size, let's say a 16 valves 2'000 cubic cm gas engine rated 150 HP and a turbocompressed 2'000 cm^3 diesel one at same HP rating (I know, pretty small engines when compared to US ones, but this is what we have in Europe), the first will hardly do 9km with one liter of gasoline @ 130 Km/h, while the second will easily do at least 13 km with one liter of diesel.

If your yearly mileage is quite high, it is possible that the higher price you pay for a diesel engine will eventually be balanced by the saving you make in fuel consumption.

For me, doing about 40'000 km per year, a diesel car is a far better option than a gas one.

I've got an 03 Duramax, extended cab short bed 4X4. I usually get around 21mpg. I love the truck! cruising at highway speeds, truck never comes out of fifth. when you get to hills you can feel the truck reach down and grab a pair and motor right on up the hill.

The later model 07's now have 360hp and a six speed allison. Even more power!!!

As far as maintenance goes: Diesel grade oil is about $10.00 a gallon and the truck takes 2.5 Gallons. Fuel filter replacement is scheduled for 15,000mi intervals and is easy to do. fuel filters run about $25.00. No spark plugs or plug wires to worry about.

Diesels average about 25% better gas milage than gas. (Don't know about the current technology gas motors).

the motor is easy to hotrod should you desire to do so, just a plug and play unit and you can easily embarrass the little rice rockets with the fart cans on the exhaust.

Downsides: Diesel prices around 10 to 20 cents higher than gas :angry2: Normally it is that amount cheaper.

I would give the Duramax/Alliison combo some serious consideration.

Edited to add: I know their used to be some pretty good tax incentives in buying a 3/4 ton truck if you are a small business owner.

Edited by Signcutter

E,

I like the idea of cooking my own bio-d. I wasn't going to mention it, but when you did..I thought, 'yeah, he could/would do that...but does he have the time'? Of course, you have the option of running without bio-d anytime you wnat.

What about durability? Don't the d-engines last for more miles ?

E,

I like the idea of cooking my own bio-d. I wasn't going to mention it, but when you did..I thought, 'yeah, he could/would do that...but does he have the time'? Of course, you have the option of running without bio-d anytime you wnat.

What about durability? Don't the d-engines last for more miles ?

I wouldn't want to mess with the fry oil method, but I live near rapeseed country. No titration required, IIRC.

It's my understanding that the Chevy half ton diesels will be a lot smaller than the Duramax that's been available the past several years in 3/4 and 1 ton trucks. I could see my self with a heavy half ton with a smaller diesel, four doors, 4x4 Chevy that gets as good or better milage than my Tacoma 6 cylinder. White or silver please! :cheers:

FM

Toyota has the full size diesel coming out....soon??

I will sell you my tundra.....hurry before my brother buys it.

Yeah, all the intel says that the 2008 Tundra will be available with a diesel, but I'd have to go check to find out the company that's developing it for/with them. I do know it's a company that has worked with Toyota in the past and built some really good engines (like the overseas diesel in the FJ40s) that last forever.

With that said, I'm not selling my 07 Tundra...lovin' it and it gets around 20 on the highway until you start cruising at 85+ and then it drops down in the 17.5 to 18.5 range.

Edited by G-ManBart

See my avatar.

Traded in a 99 GMC 4x4 for this truck. Hiway mileage on the GMC 19-20 same as the diesel Ford. Tow a bicycle with GMC 12mpg, with the Ford deisel tow a town and still get 17-18mpg. After some minor performance upgrades the new deisel would get up to 24mpg. After the lift kit and numerous add-on's will still get 19.5mpg on the hiway, and we're talking over 7500lbs.

Deisels will tow anything, gas not so.

Deisels are easy to hop-up with simple performance upgrades. With everything set on max mine should make well over 500hp and 800ft-lbs of torque.

Deisels last forever, most take a long time to break in well.

Resale is much higher.

Deisels, whether, Ford,GM, or Dodge are a far better investment......

Just my lowly opinions........

First, Front Man, the 08 Tacoma's are gas pigs. They're about the same as the Chevy/GMC's. Priced them when I was on R&R in May.

The word is Toyota is coming out with a diesel and it should be a winner given their track record.

Eric - If I was buying a diesel, as much as I'm a Chevy guy, I would go with the Ford. Just seem to have everything figured out. However, as you mentioned the $7k upgrade to diesel buys A LOT of gas. I'm patiently waiting for bio-diesel, but am trading in the Tahoe for a Colorado Extreme.

Gotta keep up with Nolan Smyth.

Rich

First, Front Man, the 08 Tacoma's are gas pigs. They're about the same as the Chevy/GMC's. Priced them when I was on R&R in May.

The word is Toyota is coming out with a diesel and it should be a winner given their track record.

Eric - If I was buying a diesel, as much as I'm a Chevy guy, I would go with the Ford. Just seem to have everything figured out. However, as you mentioned the $7k upgrade to diesel buys A LOT of gas. I'm patiently waiting for bio-diesel, but am trading in the Tahoe for a Colorado Extreme.

Rich

Rich, mine is an '03 which is a new truck to me!

I get a new used/truck every 10 years which means at best I have 1 more in my future! :lol: :lol: :lol:

FM

Rich

http://www.biodiesel.org/buyingbiodiesel/d...rs/default.shtm

Why wait?

One more note before you buy a gas powered truck. Buy or I will send you an issue of Deisel Power magazine and you will see kinda where deisel power is at. This is the first deisel I have owned but you can bet I'll never go back to gas. Bottom line, if you've never owned one, and are considering a new vehicle, at least drive one and you'll probably buy one.

FM - Point being that just 'cause it's Japanese doesn't automatically = better gas mileage.

Houston - I'm in Afghanistan and frankly won't be setup up to do it for about 3 years after I get out of the Army, but will definitely be doing it.

boz - I agree with you on diesels. The downside as Eric brought up is the upcharge to go to a diesel engine over gas. $7k to switch, again, buys an awful lot of gas.

Rich

FM - Point being that just 'cause it's Japanese doesn't automatically = better gas mileage.

Houston - I'm in Afghanistan and frankly won't be setup up to do it for about 3 years after I get out of the Army, but will definitely be doing it.

boz - I agree with you on diesels. The downside as Eric brought up is the upcharge to go to a diesel engine over gas. $7k to switch, again, buys an awful lot of gas.

Rich

Yes, I agree 7(closer to 8)K extra is a tough bullet to swallow and a lot depends on how long you plan to keep the vehicle. Eventually the deisel will pay for itself with fuel savings especially if you tow, which I do frequently.

I know I mentioned resale value before but just check out the want ads, deisels with 150K and up still bring top dollar. One of my employees recently bought a used F-350 with 150k for what you could have bought a new basic gas truck.

Hope you guys don't think I'm trying to do a gas vs deisel thread, just tossing ideas and my experiences out there, especially since the truck Eric mentioned is similar to what I traded in.

Bottom line, be open to all options, Eric