Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dogs

tightloop

In the supermarket, library, department store, airport...

What happened to bringing your dog those places only if you had a white cane....

Belongs in the category of: if I say anything, someone will get their feelings hurt and be mad...

The Mr. Sunshine answer: Too Bad....

Common sense has gone the way of the passenger pigeon and the TRex....

Guess I am just too ancient to grasp the concept of having to have your pooch with you all the FREAKING TIME....

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'd rather people have them with them all the time than letting them run around loose. Getting tired of digging holes to bury them. especially in the summer when the ground is dry and hard.

We only take ours to Walgreens and Petsmart. But if I could I'd probably take them elsewhere.

You married? Got any children?

Petsmart I can see..unless you are legally blind and you dog is a guide dog..they don't belong in stores or establishments which cater to customers...I don't want to sit next to someone with a dog on a carrier in a restaurant, movie, library, department store, courthouse, or anywhere else...

Same thing as you not wanting to sit next to someone smoking....what about other people's rights and common sense...??

What is wrong with leaving them at home, in the yard...in your car, with a friend....anywhere else but toting them with you all the time..

Your comment begs me to ask...WHY.....

Edited by tightloop

One day in clinic I hear a yappy little dog barking out in the waiting room. My Office Manager tells me a patient brought her dog in with her. I asked if the patient was blind. Nope. We then tell the patient to get the dog out of the waiting room and to never bring it back. What's wrong with people? I'm with you TL!

..unless you are legally blind and you dog is a guide dog..they don't belong in stores or establishments which cater to customers...

I don't want to rain on your hate, but was amazed to learn about this:

Assistance Dog Information

Many people have seen Guide dogs in their daily lives, guiding their handlers expertly around obstacles and across streets. There are, however, dogs that help someone who is deaf, in a wheelchair, using crutches, and for many other disabilities.

The main types of Assistance Dogs (called Service Dogs in the Americans with Disabilities Act and many laws), are:

Guide Dogs:

Probably the most familiar type of service dog is the guide dog that is trained to help blind or visually impaired people. These dogs serve as the eyes for their owner, navigating them through traffic, stairs and sidewalks while avoiding all obstacles that could cause injury.

Hearing Dogs:

Similar to guide dogs, "hearing" or "signal" dogs are specially trained to assist deaf people. They alert their owner to sounds, usually by approaching their owner and then by going back to the source of the sound. They signal such noises as doorbells, phones, smoke alarms, crying babies, microwave bells and even tea kettles whistling. These dogs have the same access privileges as guide dogs and are permitted in all public and private facilities.

Service Dogs:

Service Dog is the catch all term for any dog that helps a physically or mentally disabled person. You have the following catagories:

Mobility Assist Dog: Pulls a person's wheelchair, carries things in a backpack, picks up things a person drops, opens/closes doors, helps the handler get dressed or undressed.

Walker Dog: Helps the handler walk by balancing or acting as a counter balance. Does many of the tasks that the Mobility Assist Dog does.

Seizure Alert/Response Dog: This dog is trained to respond to a person's seizures and either stay with the person, or go get help. Some dogs are trained to hit a button on a console to automatically dial 911. When the dog hears the voice over the speaker, the dog starts barking. The disabled person would have arranged that the system is dog activated.

Psychiatric Service Dog: A person with a mental disability may need a dog to be able to go out in public (agraphobic), or may be autistic and need the dog to keep them focused. These dogs are trained NEVER to leave their handler's side. For more information on tasks that a dog can do, go to the IAADP PSD Info page.

SsigDog: A dog trained to assist a person with autism. The dog alerts the partner to distracting repetitive movements common among those with autism, allowing the person to stop the movement (e.g., hand flapping). A person with autism may have problems with sensory input and need the same support services from a dog that a dog might give to a person who is blind or deaf.

Combo Dog: Some programs, Paws With A Cause, for example, have started training dogs for people with multiple disabilities, like a guide/mobility assist dog.

Also, "service animal" is the legal terms for ANY animal that assists someone who is disabled, therefore, a guide dog is also a service dog/animal.

Like guide and hearing dogs, service dogs of any type, are allowed in public when accompanying their disabled handler.

This list is not the ONLY things that dogs can be taught to do.

Which I lifted from this site on service animals.

In a nutshell, service animals are not just for the visually impaired anymore, and are governed by the Americans with Disabilities act. Now, if we're not talking about service animals, and the distinction is usually fairly easy to make, I'm right there with you. I had to push a German Shepherd off me one day in Petsmart, because his owner couldn't control him ---- I was not a happy camper....

..unless you are legally blind and you dog is a guide dog..they don't belong in stores or establishments which cater to customers...

I don't want to rain on your hate, but was amazed to learn about this:

Assistance Dog Information

Many people have seen Guide dogs in their daily lives, guiding their handlers expertly around obstacles and across streets. There are, however, dogs that help someone who is deaf, in a wheelchair, using crutches, and for many other disabilities.

The main types of Assistance Dogs (called Service Dogs in the Americans with Disabilities Act and many laws), are:

Guide Dogs:

Probably the most familiar type of service dog is the guide dog that is trained to help blind or visually impaired people. These dogs serve as the eyes for their owner, navigating them through traffic, stairs and sidewalks while avoiding all obstacles that could cause injury.

Hearing Dogs:

Similar to guide dogs, "hearing" or "signal" dogs are specially trained to assist deaf people. They alert their owner to sounds, usually by approaching their owner and then by going back to the source of the sound. They signal such noises as doorbells, phones, smoke alarms, crying babies, microwave bells and even tea kettles whistling. These dogs have the same access privileges as guide dogs and are permitted in all public and private facilities.

Service Dogs:

Service Dog is the catch all term for any dog that helps a physically or mentally disabled person. You have the following catagories:

Mobility Assist Dog: Pulls a person's wheelchair, carries things in a backpack, picks up things a person drops, opens/closes doors, helps the handler get dressed or undressed.

Walker Dog: Helps the handler walk by balancing or acting as a counter balance. Does many of the tasks that the Mobility Assist Dog does.

Seizure Alert/Response Dog: This dog is trained to respond to a person's seizures and either stay with the person, or go get help. Some dogs are trained to hit a button on a console to automatically dial 911. When the dog hears the voice over the speaker, the dog starts barking. The disabled person would have arranged that the system is dog activated.

Psychiatric Service Dog: A person with a mental disability may need a dog to be able to go out in public (agraphobic), or may be autistic and need the dog to keep them focused. These dogs are trained NEVER to leave their handler's side. For more information on tasks that a dog can do, go to the IAADP PSD Info page.

SsigDog: A dog trained to assist a person with autism. The dog alerts the partner to distracting repetitive movements common among those with autism, allowing the person to stop the movement (e.g., hand flapping). A person with autism may have problems with sensory input and need the same support services from a dog that a dog might give to a person who is blind or deaf.

Combo Dog: Some programs, Paws With A Cause, for example, have started training dogs for people with multiple disabilities, like a guide/mobility assist dog.

Also, "service animal" is the legal terms for ANY animal that assists someone who is disabled, therefore, a guide dog is also a service dog/animal.

Like guide and hearing dogs, service dogs of any type, are allowed in public when accompanying their disabled handler.

This list is not the ONLY things that dogs can be taught to do.

Which I lifted from this site on service animals.

In a nutshell, service animals are not just for the visually impaired anymore, and are governed by the Americans with Disabilities act. Now, if we're not talking about service animals, and the distinction is usually fairly easy to make, I'm right there with you. I had to push a German Shepherd off me one day in Petsmart, because his owner couldn't control him ---- I was not a happy camper....

Great point you make...but it makes me want to look them in the eye and ask them..."...does this look like Hollywood and are you Paris Hilton?" if the answer is NO to either, then it is just a dog and get it out of here. Kind of like the quote from Tombstone..."...this ain't Dodge City and you ain't Bill Hickock."

and to your comment of the list of things that dogs can be taught to do....yes, you are right there also...think I saw proof of that one evening in Mexico at a place called the Zipper Lounge...in my lots younger days...the dog did seem to enjoy it though.... :rolleyes:

Just kidding, but you get the point...and I do love dogs...it is the people that cart them around, I have a problem with..

In a nutshell, service animals are not just for the visually impaired anymore, and are governed by the Americans with Disabilities act. Now, if we're not talking about service animals, and the distinction is usually fairly easy to make, I'm right there with you.

I do believe we are all talking about non-service animals.

"Common sense has gone the way of the passenger pigeon and the TRex...."

"Commons sense, writes Clifford Geertz, is not what the mind cleared of cant spontaneously apprehends; it is what the mind filled with presuppositions concludes..."

If that is true common sense would indeed not be that common because it would be different from person to person based on what presupporitions they have. Hope this does not count as a rebuttal.

I like dogs but I think they should be left at home.

"Commons sense, writes Clifford Geertz, is not what the mind cleared of cant spontaneously apprehends; it is what the mind filled with presuppositions concludes..."

If that is true common sense would indeed not be that common because it would be different from person to person based on what presupporitions they have. Hope this does not count as a rebuttal.

Please tell me what credentials Clifford Geertz has that allows you to quote him so freely on a topic so simple...and why does common sense need further explanation?

That's Quiggly Down Under, "This aint Dodge City, and you aint Wyatt Earp" And I do take animal to the store and post office, but tie him up outside. Does a horse count as a service animal if he is my means of transportation ? Looks like I could walk him around the isles of stores maybe instead of tieing to hitching post. Me thinks I should read the law and try it at Walmart, then file a lawsuit when they say I cant bring my horse in.

That's Quiggly Down Under, "This aint Dodge City, and you aint Wyatt Earp" And I do take animal to the store and post office, but tie him up outside. Does a horse count as a service animal if he is my means of transportation ? Looks like I could walk him around the isles of stores maybe instead of tieing to hitching post. Me thinks I should read the law and try it at Walmart, then file a lawsuit when they say I cant bring my horse in.

If I was Duane Thomas I would have gotten the quote correct...

Not sure about your horse...Like horses also...

It really gets my hackles up when some idiot brings his dog down to the trap/skeet fields and lets it run around the middle of the skeet field as we're trying to shoot. :blink:

You know...an AD when the dog is downrange will work wonders for a problem like that... :rolleyes:

and that just goes back to my comments about common sense....what the heck are some people thinking...

Edited by tightloop

TL, you'll probably be pissed off at me, when we meet. The dog normally goes to all of my matches, and stays in the hotel/motel with me.

However, I do not appreciate undisciplined, anythings...........................adults, children, animals, etc. and if mine becomes unruly for any reason he gets smacked, he does not receive a "timeout".

To each their own,

Trapr

Please tell me what credentials Clifford Geertz has that allows you to quote him so freely on a topic so simple...and why does common sense need further explanation?

I am actually quoting Linda Kerber who was quoting Cliff. Please forgive me for not citing the soucre.

I am just a lowly historian in training. I am being brainwashed that everything needs further explanation, and it is not really simple. People may well being dragging their dogs all over the place with them because it is a manifestation of the constructions that are in place due to their gender. obviously, you are going to say males and females take their dogs, but gender spheres greatly overlap in this day and age, but alas that is another topic.

Edited by RoyceLowellPatton

TL, you'll probably be pissed off at me, when we meet. The dog normally goes to all of my matches, and stays in the hotel/motel with me.

However, I do not appreciate undisciplined, anythings...........................adults, children, animals, etc. and if mine becomes unruly for any reason he gets smacked, he does not receive a "timeout".

To each their own,

Trapr

Not at all Trappr...I appreciate the clarity of your statement...undisciplined kind of says it all...

Mr. Patton

Don't you mean gender constrictions not constructions...and NOPE, not everything needs further clarification...some things are clear from the start...and I think this topic was one of them....