Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Group Shooting

mjbine

I started shooting groups again at practice. It is great to get a nice controlled group before and after practice. Do you shoot groups? If so how much? Seeing what you need to see and having great trigger control to get that group tight as possible. Man if only I could get good enough to get two Alphas touching on each and every target.

Friday's are my dedicated "group shooting" day (200rds). I shoot groups standing freestyle, stonghand only, weakhand only, squatting through a port and leaning around a barricade at 25 yards. I generally don't shoot groups bagged or on a bench because I never shoot that way in competition. I shoot one mag slowfire- "feeling" each shot off, and one mag rapid fire- releasing the shot as soon as I see the sights settle into the A zone. I also shoot 10-20 rounds for "groups" during regular practice days on occasion.

Edited by Rocket35

The only time I bag a gun, is when I want to sight it in. So the only thing I am doing is lining the sights up and putting enough pressure to let the gun go off, and forgot the breathing is important to. But after that I will group shoot a little with out a bag,but not too much, by your definition. But when I practice shooting targets comming into positions, I consider that a form of group shooting, because I am trying to get my bullets as close to each other as possible in the "A zone". Actually today I am going to do some strong hand weak hand grouping. Just to try and improve that skill.

Friday's are my dedicated "group shooting" day (200rds). I shoot groups standing freestyle, stonghand only, weakhand only, squatting through a port and leaning around a barricade. I generally don't shoot groups bagged or on a bench because I never shoot that way in competition. I shoot one mag slowfire- "feeling" each shot off, and one mag rapid fire- releasing the shot as soon as I see the sights settle into the A zone. I also shoot 10-20 rounds for "groups" during regular practice days on occasion.

you said "feeling" each shot off. LOL :surprise:

Friday's are my dedicated "group shooting" day (200rds). I shoot groups standing freestyle, stonghand only, weakhand only, squatting through a port and leaning around a barricade. I generally don't shoot groups bagged or on a bench because I never shoot that way in competition. I shoot one mag slowfire- "feeling" each shot off, and one mag rapid fire- releasing the shot as soon as I see the sights settle into the A zone. I also shoot 10-20 rounds for "groups" during regular practice days on occasion.

you said "feeling" each shot off. LOL :surprise:

Shut-up Beavis... :P

My day is Wednesdays. 25 yard bullseye target at the local indoor range. Alternating right hand, left hand 8 rounds at a time slow fire for a total of about 100 rounds. Then I do a few magazines freestyle at 15 yards for the tightest possible group and finish up with some quick strong hand, weak hand at 7 - 10 yards on the local range's humanoid target which is smaller than a USPSA metric target.

:cheers: Good stuff. I love the mind clearing concentration.

I like to check zero off of my pick-nick table every Saturday night before a club match.

For what ever reason my CMORE won't stay zeroed and it usually takes 50-100 rounds to get it right. So it works out to be about 33%-50%. I can't afford to practice to much right now; but the balance is spent on SH/WH for now.

FM

Start and end each practice session with a group or two-- that way you know you're on when you start, and you know you're on when you put the gun back in the bag, in case the next time you get to take it out is at a match..

The usual is start and finish with groups. Pre-Army, when I was really on my game, I would go to the range a minimum of 3 times a week. One of the big keys being able to control A's out to 50 yards. Just something I learned from Max.

Basically, the thinking (and his results proved it to me) that if you can control slow fire A's at 50 (about 1 second splits) then targets at anything less is gravy. It's true and helped out a lot.

With my nice 3.5 year hiatis from shooting, I'll be working through the fundamentals AGAIN. Group shooting and timing drills are going to be done to death, but like most things, hopefully the body and brain remember quickly.

Rich

Start and end each practice session with a group or two-- that way you know you're on when you start, and you know you're on when you put the gun back in the bag, in case the next time you get to take it out is at a match..

+1 to Shred's idea. I've been doing this more and more lately and it's REALLY made a difference in my shooting. I actually notice the difference when I don't shoot groups at every practice.

For many years I ended every practice session with off-hand group shooting at 25 yards. Sometimes I'd open a practice session with group shooting too, but eventually I replaced that by opening practice sessions with a "cold turkey drill." Like maybe a Bill Drill at 7 or 15 yards.

be