Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anyone shoot limited minor?

glock10mmman

It's all about shooting A's .... as fast as you can. The problem is we don't always shoot all A's. I just returned from AREA 8 and I can say that I had a couple of 32 round stages where I only dropped 1 C, or maybe 3 or 4 C's total, but those C's only cost me 1 point down a piece. In minor they cost you 2 points down a piece. So the disadvantage accumulates at a much higer rate when shooting minor.

And eventually it will catch up with you if you can't shoot all your stages that accurately ..... and (I'll be the first to say that) out of 11 stages at that match, I only had 2 or 3 stages that I shot that accurately.

It wont hurt you on every stage ..... but in the end it will.

[edited to fix spelling]

Edited by CHRIS KEEN

Nothing against PB and the others that shot L10 at Indiana but I think the major competition in the sport, RIGHT NOW, tends to be limited and open. PB is a hell of a shooter and I'm sure he would have done well in limited shooting minor but I don't think he would have won B class doing it. Like everybody keeps saying its just to hard to shoot that accuratly fast enough unless your at the top of our game.

Now local matches hell ya I'll do it. I just picked up a 9mm eagle and until I get the .40 top end going I'll shoot a couple matches minor just to see how I fair in limited.

I usually shoot a 9mm at the big 3 gun matches I go to (DPMS, FT. Benning Etc) due to no power factor at these matches and the extra rounds in the mag can come in handy. Several times I've shot limited minor at a local IPSC Match for practice prior to going to a 3 gun. Bottom line is if the stages feature mostly open targets and I'm "on" I'll shoot a good match and will place well against the local limited shooters shooting major. If the stages include a lot of partial targets, a lot of tough angles, or I'm not "on" I'll get my lunch eaten on points....

Remember, just shoot all A's really fast, IPSC is easy............... :blink:

Just out of curiosity, are these P9-18's single action or LDA's?

Your post doesn't say, but if they are LDA's they would be legal for production where minor would be the rule and not the exception.

If they are single action, Limited or L10 would be your only reasonable choices.

It might be fun if you are a "points" shooter.

Tony

If you are looking to have fun, then shooting minor isn't a problem. If you are looking to win, then it's a problem because of the points. Just playing around in practice, I lose nearly 7% of the available points shooting minor with my wife's G35. I can get it down to a 4% loss, but that's still a 4% loss unless I slow down. If I slow down to get the hits, then I'm my hit factor is low. I typically shoot 95% - 97% with my Limited Para, so it's not like I'm a hoser.

Increased mag capacity isn't going to help much. I can start with 21+1 with my Para shooting major loads and this has been an advantage maybe 1% of the time. Having a couple or 3 extra rounds wouldn't have made a difference.

Still......There's a lot to learn in this sport that can be learned regardless of your PF if money is an issue and you really want to shoot Limited. It's not like you'd be wasting your time or risk not winning a new car. When your situation allows, then switch to Major and pick up the extra points. Doing well in this sport means many things to many people, so in the end only you can decide if minor is a big deal or not.

One thing I forgot about is a friend of mine used to shoot limited minor with a G34 for a long time. I don't think....he won a match but I'm pretty sure he won a few stages and was usually at the top. When he switched to a G35, then eventually a STI he has gained an very important lesson....ACCURACY!! He now has shooting skills to go along with speed! In the beginning if he wanted to win he had to make is shot count and be fast and he was doing both.

B Class in Limited shooting minor in a Glock 34. I use the exact same gear (holster, mag holders) as I did in production and IDPA, I just add more rounds to the mags!! Oh yeah, I also added an Arredondo mag extension to hold 22 rounds in my first magazine. I find the challenge to be an absolute hoot. Yes, get your hits.

Minor in Limited/Open at a major match?

Well ok you got a great secret weapon.

Funny that TGO, Travis, JJ, JoJo, Max, Matt, Todd, Dave, Matt, Taren, Manny, Angus, Phil, Lee, and Chris and the rest of the world have NEVER thought of doing this. Geez I'll even put down that Bill S is in that list and thinks its silly. Cause it is. Especially against real competition.

I shot Open Minor last weekend since I didn't want to switch from the steel loads I've been shooting exclusively the past couple weeks. It was frickin wierd.. the gun had a totally different feel shooting on paper as it did the day before and the day after on steel stages. Sort of like an airsoft-- sluggish and with no 'snap' to it.

The cool thing with shooting Minor in a Major/Minor division is if you get beat you can always say "Well, I was shooting Minor, what do you expect?" and if you win, it's "Haha, you got beat by somebody shooting Minor!" ;):D

The cool thing with shooting Minor in a Major/Minor division is if you get beat you can always say "Well, I was shooting Minor, what do you expect?" and if you win, it's "Haha, you got beat by somebody shooting Minor!" ;):D

damn - the secret is out.......

:)

Hi again,

2 years ago my friend Eddie G. shot limited 10 minor at the Area 2/Desert Classic. Thing was he shot a Para P18/9 and was a C class limited 10 shooter and he came in 2nd overall in Limited 10 only lost by .25 of 1 point to the overall winner. I asked him if he was pissed that he lost by such a small margin because of the minor points he said no becasue if would have shot major he wouldn't have done as well (He is another guy that doens't liek major 40 recoil) Some more food for thought, shhot what you like and kick ass. You should of seen how many people hated him for beating them by shooting minor :-)

Hi again,

2 years ago my friend Eddie G. shot limited 10 minor at the Area 2/Desert Classic. Thing was he shot a Para P18/9 and was a C class limited 10 shooter and he came in 2nd overall in Limited 10 only lost by .25 of 1 point to the overall winner. I asked him if he was pissed that he lost by such a small margin because of the minor points he said no becasue if would have shot major he wouldn't have done as well (He is another guy that doens't liek major 40 recoil) Some more food for thought, shhot what you like and kick ass. You should of seen how many people hated him for beating them by shooting minor :-)

Now thats something to think about :cheers:

g10

I plan to shoot minor at least next year. The difference won't matter much to me if I cant end up somewhere near 70% with minor gun. I'm around 60% now in toughest competitions, and my goal is to make 70% next year, then perhaps start thinking about major. I can't win anyway, so why bother with reloading and picking brass... It doesn't matter to me if I finish 40th or 60th, my goal is to be the best shooter I can be, and the minor scoring doesn't prevent that.

Edited by askomiko

I shoot an Edge in 9mm and with reloads using 115 grain bullets it's so much fun to shoot.........and I shoot a lot of A's, although I have to work on my speed ;-)

And since .40 is quite expensive here in Europe, I like to shoot 9, because I can afford to shoot factory ammo when I'm lazy and losing some brass doesn't hurt.

If I get better and get the feeling that my 9 is hurting my scores I might buy a .40 Edge or a Glock 35, but as long as I'm having fun and be competitive among my shooting buddies', I'll keep shooting my 9's.

BTW, I bought my Edge brand new 2 months go, so '9' was a deliberate choice!

Edited by pevadijk

I take my 15 yo daughter to practice with me and she shoots a TZ75 9mm. She is almost ready to start entering the local matches with me. I asked her if she wanted to shoot my single stack .45 but she likes the fit and feel plus the fact that she is so familiar with the TZ that she'd rather stick with that pistol. Now, that gives us only two places to play. Production or limited minor.

My problem with shooting the TZ in production is the TZ does not have a decocker so she would have to learn to drop the hammer like on a single action revolver. I can see the chance of an AD is very real with her doing that. So I am going to have my local Gunsmith convert the TZ to single action only and have her shoot limited minor.

So in some instances limited minor makes perfect sense.

There are several shooters in the clubs that I shoot with that shoot Limited minor and do very well.

Sometime back I asked a minor Limited shooter why he was shooting minor and he said that he wanted to learn to make his hits before anything else. Well, it has worked for him. He has gone from a "C" class to an "A" in about a year. He still shoots minor.

If you shoot the the 9 mm well there shouldn't be too much difference until you progress to the upper levels of the sport.

Good Luck, Buddy

Lets stick some numbers to this.

I'm going to call shooting Minor in Limited a 10% disadvantage. For some, the disadvantage may be as small as 5%. For other, it may be 15-20% or more.

And, somewhere around here...or maybe on GlockTalk...I did the math on how much surface area was available on the target. I compared the A-zone to the A-B-C-zone. Shooting Minor, you need Alpha hits. Shooting Major, not so much...