Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Inexpensive reloading press?

I cannot afford a Dillon 550B press right now, or any time in the future. I have never reloaded before, but am mechanically inclined.

What are my options (besides buying manufactured ammo)? I have been doign this for years, and based on prices today, I need an alternative.

RCBS, Lee who else makes presses, or does someone have something capable of loading .40 S&W they are willing to part with?

I am looking to spend no more than $200 right now. I plan to buy the components of the ammunition in different purchases over the next three months.

Or is the consensus that I should await the Dillon 550B?

If you are just wanting to reload pistol ammo,you can find a Dillon Square Deal for under 200 bucks if you are paitient.I started with a Square Deal and then moved up to a 650 with case feeder.The Square Deal is a great press but will only load pistol rounds.I wish you luck.Ken

I have owned and used two different lee presses, turret and the load master, while they will load ammo and are cheap you will spend much of your time messing around with fixing the press to work correctly and still only only about 90% of the loaded ammo will be usable(fliped primers, no primers,

Frustrated, I finnaly when with the Dillion 550. Wow what a differance. If you can, save up and go Blue!!

MDA

If you don't mind taking the extra time, a single stage press will make excellent ammo for a lot less. A basic single stage press from Hornady, Lyman or RCBS will last the rest of your life. Get a hand primer (I like the RCBS version, since it uses the same shell holders as the press) rather than priming on the press. You'll need a powder measure and a scale too. You should be able to get all of these on line and stay under $200...I think, not having looked at this stuff for a while.

I see you have stated you don't see being able to do the 550 thing in the future....but.... If you can the 550 is a wonderful machine. If you can find a SDB within your budget they are great and turn out quality ammo at a very nice rate. The only reason I would prefer the 550 is the ease of changing calibers as you acquire more guns to reload for in the future..........

With that being said there are some members here that have had good results with the various Lee Presses. You might be able to dig some posts up by searching the reloading area of the forum.

If you're planning on initially loading just one caliber (40S&W) I'd suggest you find an used Dillon Square Deal B. It will load good quality ammo, over and over again, and they could be found within that $200 range.

Actually, why don't you go in the classifieds and post a WTB add? The press of your dreams may just show up.

Good luck!

For the price (get ready) You realy cant Beat Lee (Duck the tomatoes!) :devil:

Seriously, I have a standard turret and it works just fine... There was a learning curve, but not bad. Take a look at cabela's, supposedly they have a cast turret kit that just needs powder, primers and bullets... Works like a charm man...

Billy

With that being said there are some members here that have had good results with the various Lee Presses. You might be able to dig some posts up by searching the reloading area of the forum.

I agree with Merlin (especially 'the' political joke) 100% here. Dillons are great machines. I use a friend's to turn out tons of .40 sw. I use it when I have the chance. I'm saving up for one of my own. Meanwhile, back in the batcave I use a Lee 4 hole turret press. Around 100 bucks, I've used it for about 5 years and have loaded approx. 40,000 rounds on it. 9mm, 40 sw, 45 acp, 38 spl, 357 mags, all have worked great. I've recently stared loading .223, 30-06, 6.5x55, 6.5x50, 7.62x54, and even 7.5 Swiss on my cheap little Lee. My ammo alll runs and chronos VERY consistantly. That being said, I'd rather have a Dillon 550 or better yet a 650 for the high volume calibers. (I shoot a lot more now that when I started reloading.)

I don't like to trash products, especially when I haven't used them. Pretty much all new presses are good, they just have different roles. The Lee 4 hole turret would be my choice on a tight budget. However if you are going to start shooting a lot, or are pressed for time, get a Dillon.

Jason

Isn't the 550 essentially a turret press that can be bought failry inexpensively, then upgraded to a progressive press, the 550B? If you want to start out with little to minimal investment, this would seem to be a great way to avoid buying another press on down the road. Add to it as you see fit, and eventually upgrade to the progressive.

Edited by ramptester

Isn't the 550 essentially a turret press that can be bought failry inexpensively, then upgraded to a progressive press, the 550B? If you want to start out with little to minimal investment, this would seem to be a great way to avoid buying another press on down the road. Add to it as you see fit, and eventually upgrade to the progressive.

550/550B is not a progressive nor can it be upgraded to progressive... Dang it!!!! :)

Square Deal B - progressive

650B - progressive

Rl & Super 1050 - progressive

There are members here with many more rounds than this- but I have loaded over 25,000 rounds on my Square Deal B in 9MM, .40, .45 and .45LC with great results. For pistol ammo, I think it is the best press for the money. Load rate is an easy 500 rounds per hour. I thought about upgrading to a 650, but haven't felt the need to spend all that extra money since I only load for pistols.

post-5009-1185546007.jpg

There are members here with many more rounds than this- but I have loaded over 25,000 rounds on my Square Deal B in 9MM, .40, .45 and .45LC with great results. For pistol ammo, I think it is the best press for the money. Load rate is an easy 500 rounds per hour. I thought about upgrading to a 650, but haven't felt the need to spend all that extra money since I only load for pistols.

500 an hour...???? I have had several and never made 500 an hour....guess it is possible...

Edited by tightloop

With my components handy and 5 primer pick-up tubes, I can routinely do 500 per hour. That includes filling the primer tubes! :surprise: I just grab a handful of bullets, about 20-25, and go to town: brass-bullet-handle.........I even peek into each case to check powder level as I place the bullet. Having the lamp above that station is a plus.

I would recommend a Dillon Square Deal. You will pay it off in ammo saving in less than a year and frankly they are the best.

I can go to the store and buy a $100 pistol too.

BSeevers also gave me the best advice when I was in your shoes last year.

"Micah, buying any other press is like marrying a stripper. Down the road, you are really gonna pay for it!"

Wait for the 550.

Seriously;)

I would never consider marrying a stripper, but scrogging one is always fun for a little while! Been there, done that many times!

I think you are right, I will wait until Income tax time before moving on this. Until then, I think I will buy pre-loaded PF ammo from someone!

My vote is for the Square Deal B.

I first bought a Lee Turret. It works, but it gets tiresome in MINUTES. I takes 4 pulls per bullet! OMG - soooo slow. The same goes for a single stage press. Yea, you can get one for cheap, but loading takes FOREVER. Plus, I think there's a greater chance of screwing up (squips and double loads).

When I finally got the Square Deal, I was SOOO happy! If you only load pistol, they are great! Also, I don't buy into that 'quick change' argument for the 550. Just buy extra Square Deal B instead. The quick change head, dies, powder measure, and all that junk for the 550 has got to cost close to a used Square Deal B.

I have two, and am planning a 3rd. I hang them on the side of my reloading bench from nails, and move them to the front when I need them. Switching is easy!

I kept my Lee Turret for 38/357, and haven't used it in YEARS!

Keep searching for a Square Deal B in your desired caliber, check locally at all the gun ranges, and IPSC matches. Ebay is OK, but prices usually get bid up some. Even if you have to wait a few months to scrounge up an additional $130, you can buy one new, set up, ready to run, from Dillon (or even Brian's shop).

Edited by Jeff686

The SDB is a nice press and I had 3 of them at one point.

I would have never bought the first one if I had known how much better the 650 is.

The 650 equals much less physical effort, can't beat the case feeder, ended my high primer problem, and there's room to actually get my hand in there. I can also use a "U" die and FCD die, something not possible with the SDB.

Loading 1K rounds on a SDB would wear me out. I've loaded 5K rounds in a day on the 650 without a problem.

However the SDB is still a big step up over anything else out there that isn't a Dillon. I switched from a Lee turret press to the SDB and thought I was in heaven. Then I pulled the handle on a 650.....

I've never thought caliber changes were a big deal on the SDB or the 650.

I have been loading on 2 Lee Pro 1000 for about a year and a half, 35k of .45acp and 10K or .38super. the press is $120, they take more to keep running and certainly are not at the level of Dillon, alot of plastic and pot metal, but they do produce good ammo. The money I have saved has allowed me to buy more componets, will it pay off in the long run? maybe, maybe not. But at this point the presses have served me well.