Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SPS MAGS FOR 40 S&W

Scoterbeast

ORDERED TWO SPS MAGS WITH GRAMS FOLLOWER AND BASE PAD TO TRY THEM OUT. AM TOLD CAN LOAD 21 IN MAG AND WITH ONE UP THE PIPE CAN START BLASTING WITH 22 ROUNDS ! OH BOY ! ANY ONE OUT THERE USING THESE - WHAT KIND OF EXPERIENCE HAVE YOU HAD WITH THEM? AM TOLD PERHAPS CANNOT LOAD AS LONG ( 1.220) WITH THEM AS I DO NOW WITH MY SV MAGS IN MY SV.

The SPS mags with Grams guts and base pad will get you a reloadable 21rnds. I handled and shot the mags at the Open Nats. Worked as advertised. One shooter I talked with said he modified the Grams follower and got 22rnds. Did not get into details as to how he did this. Only issue with the SPS mag body is that it may need to be "tuned" to drop free from you gun. The gun I shot the mag in (a Millennium Custom Sight Tracker) would not allow the mag to drop free. It was not a mag release problem, but mag tube dimension issue. Mag and gun ran 100%. Put about 50 rnds through them. Nick-

I could only get 21 rounds on 1 mag the rest I could only get 20, just go with sti mags and be happy with the 20 rounds reloadable, the 1 round wont make a difference anyways.

Maximum AOL of .40 cal ammo (for the SPS .40 cal tube only) should be 1.175", if using standard truncated shaped bullets. Round nose bullets will allow for longer lengths. The corner of the truncated bullet will hit the inside front left corner of the tube if loaded too long, causing decrease of capacity, and reliability.

talked to beven this am at a local match, he said he will have the tuned mags by early sep, he designed a new base pad to go along with the tubes, he also did some tweaking on the tubes itself. the kit cost around $150.......

<br />Maximum AOL of .40 cal ammo (for the SPS .40 cal tube only) should be 1.175", if using standard truncated shaped bullets. Round nose bullets will allow for longer lengths. The corner of the truncated bullet will hit the inside front left corner of the tube if loaded too long, causing decrease of capacity, and reliability.<br /><br /><br />
<br /><br /><br /><br /><br />

Would the AOL apply to Precision RNF 185gn? - I have the SPS mags using SPS guts FOR NOW! Have not used the mags much, but was loading to 1.190.<br /><br />Thanks

Edited by FullRace

There's a bunch of threads on this. The cat is out of the bag. There's more than one way to get to 21+1.

I've been using mine (SPS and Rescomp) for about 18 months now, had them gauged at the recent A7 and they work great with my loads out to 1.200" oal. I have not had much luck with other spring and follower combos, and use only Grams guts in mine, everything else would twist or nose dive.

I know $100+ per ain't cheap but neither is out sport, and building a 20 round SV will cost you the high side $100 anyway, and a 20 round STI takes tuning. I know it's about brand recognition, but how is a 20 rounder ordered with a gun worth ~$150 and a 21 rounder is worth less than $100? :wacko:

Happy to advise any who want some (it's free and not worth that). :rolleyes:

Edited by dirtypool40

ORDERED TWO SPS MAGS WITH GRAMS FOLLOWER AND BASE PAD TO TRY THEM OUT. AM TOLD CAN LOAD 21 IN MAG AND WITH ONE UP THE PIPE CAN START BLASTING WITH 22 ROUNDS ! OH BOY ! ANY ONE OUT THERE USING THESE - WHAT KIND OF EXPERIENCE HAVE YOU HAD WITH THEM? AM TOLD PERHAPS CANNOT LOAD AS LONG ( 1.220) WITH THEM AS I DO NOW WITH MY SV MAGS IN MY SV.

Been playing with the two SPS mags I wrote about. So far can only load 20 in them. I have shot my standard loaded 1.220 loads (Montana Gold 180 FP's) as well as same loads at 1.185. They have all fed just fine so far. Only had time to put 50 or so of each through the gun using these mags so jury still out. Won't use them in competition yet but gonna play with them and will report on what actually works and doesn't work. By working I mean 100% reliable which is what I expect.

measure the tube. If you have the ones from online sold complete, with the Dawson +1, they are likely a mm or two too short to comfortably fit 21 in. Sometimes you can JAM 21 in, if you slam it on a bench and call it "beyotch" but not always. They are often impossible to seat if you do get 21 in there.

PM me or Beven for more help.

I can get 21 of my 1.2 TC in but it is not something I would reload to. Wont play around with bullet length until this winter so will just start with it. I silicone my mags and bullets and keep my feed ramp smooooth and have had no failure to feeds.

I am going to mention this one more time, just to make sure that it is seen and understood. I am not going to beat a horse to death here.

If you are using a truncated bullet, in your .40cal SPS mag tube, do not load past 1.175" over all length. The corner of the bullet, and the corner of the rim of the case, will contact the inside radius of the mag tube, and space the whole cartridge away from the wall the the tube. This condition will decrease capacity and cause undo friction in the feeding of ammo up the tube. Round nose bullets match the radius of the tube better, thus can be loaded longer, though in most cases, I find no advantage to doing so.

You can test this situation yourself, by rolling a cartridge into an empty tube from the bottom of the tube. Look to see if the cartridge is flat against the right side wall.

I wish it weren't so, but this is in the design of tube, and can not be changed or fixed with the current production SPS tubes.