Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2007 Area 2 / Rio Salado Desert Classic - Mesa, AZ

Hi Barb,

I noticed the See's link was for the Toffee-ettes, did you get hooked on those after I brought those to you in '03? I know I just have to order a tin after or two after Seeing the link.

Rich

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Did I feel bad when a group of my friends didn't get in? Of course I did! But on the same note, know that I didn't go back and fix it so they could get in - didn't move them up on the waiting list - didn't shuffle the numbers in any way. I don't take bribes, don't play favoritism, and pride myself as an honest person. I hope all y'all appreciate it...

A2Chic :ph34r:"

Outstanding attitude! And thanks for taking on the responsibility.

David C :cheers:

Edited by geezer-lock

We may not like some things but we back you all the way. Thank you for being there.

That is very true. We do appreciate all the hard work you do and the match is obviously a huge success or we wouldn't have SO many people wanting to attend.

-ld

Maybe a three tiered application process would work. Locals would have the first month open to sign up, the second month for those who actually live in Area 2 and then open it up to the whole world for the third month if any slots are left.

-ld

Just a few thoughts on this topic of the lottery draw... If you require "locals" to have a mailing address in AZ - how far out of the town of Mesa can you be to be classified as "local"? Within the Phoenix / Tucson area? What about the guys from Flagstaff or Payson or Prescott? ... or ... If it is required that they are members of the club, will we soon have 1,000 new club members? Any way you look at it, if someone REALLY wants to get in on the "first group", they will find a way. What about the "local" guys that have out of town family or friend who always shoot together? Is this okay to submit one local guy + 3 out of towners? What about the guys that won their class/division last year... they are wanting a guaranteed slot, too. T

A2Chic :ph34r:

Hey Barb,

I too appreciate the effort and work you guys put in and trying to be fair and equitable on the entry system. I also think that the local club members should have first shot. What defines a local? Someone who has shot a minimum number of club (not special or TNS) USPSA matches in the previous calendar year, perhaps six. We have a minimum requirement to be eligible for a Nationals slot, it could be the same number. This also eliminates the locals signing up friends if those friends don't qualify. I don't know if it would be necessary to require club membership as we have Tucson and other areas who do frequent our matches who may not be members. But having one or more of the match directors who put on a match each month not get in doesn't seem good. I'm hopeful that most if not all will end up in the match if there are only 39 on the wait list but I think that a system that recognizes those who support the club throughout the year along with the lottery can only be a positive.

Maybe a three tiered application process would work. Locals would have the first month open to sign up, the second month for those who actually live in Area 2 and then open it up to the whole world for the third month if any slots are left.

-ld

Just a few thoughts on this topic of the lottery draw... If you require "locals" to have a mailing address in AZ - how far out of the town of Mesa can you be to be classified as "local"? Within the Phoenix / Tucson area? What about the guys from Flagstaff or Payson or Prescott? ... or ... If it is required that they are members of the club, will we soon have 1,000 new club members? Any way you look at it, if someone REALLY wants to get in on the "first group", they will find a way. What about the "local" guys that have out of town family or friend who always shoot together? Is this okay to submit one local guy + 3 out of towners? What about the guys that won their class/division last year... they are wanting a guaranteed slot, too. T

Hey Barb,

I too appreciate the effort and work you guys put in and trying to be fair and equitable on the entry system. I also think that the local club members should have first shot. What defines a local? Someone who has shot a minimum number of club (not special or TNS) USPSA matches in the previous calendar year, perhaps six. We have a minimum requirement to be eligible for a Nationals slot, it could be the same number. This also eliminates the locals signing up friends if those friends don't qualify. I don't know if it would be necessary to require club membership as we have Tucson and other areas who do frequent our matches who may not be members. But having one or more of the match directors who put on a match each month not get in doesn't seem good. I'm hopeful that most if not all will end up in the match if there are only 39 on the wait list but I think that a system that recognizes those who support the club throughout the year along with the lottery can only be a positive.

Yup...This would be reasonable if this were a local club match but remember this is an AREA match and as such AREA members should get priority. Those who are working this match should get entry but all others within area 2 should get equal access, period.

-ld

Hey Barb,

Yup...This would be reasonable if this were a local club match but remember this is an AREA match and as such AREA members should get priority. Those who are working this match should get entry but all others within area 2 should get equal access, period.

When you're right you're right, and this time you are. Ok, if needed revise slightly and make it a requirement that you have to have shot a minimum number of matches at an Area 2 club to qualify for priority entry this would just serve to prevent "club member in name only" and signing up friends and reward shooters who support any club in that Area .

It is what it is deal with and quit crying already.

Making helpful suggestions is far from crying. Just whining that something is unfair and pouting about it is crying. Most of what I've seen here has been in the form of helpful suggestion. That is fine.

-ld

• 3 weeks later...

You may also want to try the Best Western in Apache Junction. AJ Best Western. They have rooms available and still have "non-smoking" rooms. If you try the 1-800 number for the match hotel - they don't know about the room rate. If you want to stay at the match hotel (Country Inns and Suites, Mesa) you have to call the hotel directly at (480) 641-8000 and mention "Rio Salado Desert Classic".

Found the Best Western Superstition Mountain @ $87.12/night.

I booked this for my wife and myself (since we're building Best Western points). I think it's called Superstition Springs, however.

You are correct.

Will we be able to pre-ship our ammo to the range like last year?

Send me an email to acquire your competitor number.

Ship to:

Accuracy Speaks

c/o (your name and competitor #)

3960 N Usery Pass Rd

Mesa, AZ 85207

Having your competitor number will ensure the correct person receives the correct ammo shipped. This is the gunsmith on-site. Please do not ship "too early" as he has limited space.

• 2 weeks later...

In response to August posts regarding practice possibilities

Practice possibilities the week of the Area2 / Desert Classic.

If you’re coming in early there are many opportunities for shooting that week:

Tuesday--Rio Salado Tuesday night Steel. TNS will be held in the pistol bays shooting around some of the Area 2 stage props. Signup between 4 and 7 pm. Four stages figure 60 to 100 rounds. http://www.riopractical.com/

Wednesday--Scottsdale Gun Club monthly USPSA match. Typically four stages including a classifier. Indoor match. Figure 70 to 100 rounds. Fabulous gun store, gunsmith, shooting lanes and only 2 or 3 miles from Dillon Precision. Signup 4-6 pm. Match starts at 5:00. Let us know, we'll start earlier if there’s enough interest. About 40 minutes from Rio Salado. http://www.scottsdalegunclub.com/ email Eddie at egarcia140@yahoo.com or John at jbrinjak@cox,net.

Thursday—Phoenix Rod and Gun Club Thursday Night Steel. Same format as Rio’s TNS. 4:30pm to 7:00 pm signup. About 35 minutes from Rio Salado. http://www.phoenixrodandgun.org/

•Thursday—Cactus Combat Match League @ Ben Avery Shooting Range. Their regular Thursday night match shows cancelled Desert Classic week due to range availability. You may wish to monitor their web site to see if the situation changes. An hour plus from Rio Salado. http://www.cactusmatch.com/

--John

Edited by JGB

• 2 weeks later...