Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Gunshop comandos/experts

KentG

What I love about gun shop commando's is how confident and sure of themselves they are, at this point I no longer have an ego about my shooting because there are quite a few better shooters out there. And i know it! I go into a new local shop here, with an indoor range new 700,000 caswell system with air purifiers and stuff. the air inside is cleaner than the air outside!

So I go in with my new witness stock which i had only sighted in. wanted to get used to the trigger. They are having a little match so I figured I'd warm up some and shoot it. I leisurely go in sight in my 22. which i shoot "ok" but nothing great. I get out my EAA and start with a nice group in the 8 ring. ( i warm up outside the 10 zone.. save the warmed up group for the middle.) So i shoot a 5 shot holes touching group in the middle... they see the target. and start >..aaaaaaawwweelll we usually put a few bucks on the match... you want in on it...< "No thanks" .. i really was really tight on cash i think after the match fee i had $10 in my pocket. so they continue prodding. and figure... what the hell, i don't really want these folks as friends that bad anyway.

So we shoot the match... perfect score..... not a shock. I had one out of the X which i was sad about. ..... hell that's beginners luck.. ( grand you this was just LAST YEAR!!!!)... beignner where? well we do this "bonus" where every round in the spot put anywhere on the target gives you 5 extra points. and they stick a spot on the target about the size of a round paster. just have to touch it. so .. back the line... at 15 yards.

well the total pot turned out to be $90. 10 of wish went to the entry fee. So I go back the next week... their tradition suddenly evaporated.

Sorry so long.

Carina.. Great story. Once you've been here for a while you get quite a who's who of the sport in your cell phone. Kind of funny watching people studder when realize who those people are.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pop used to refer to them as "Gin Mill Commandos" Listen to them at a bar. Each one made more money last week than the rest of them, each one has more business than they can handle, all their bosses are stupid, if only they were in charge they'd show how it should be done because when they were in business they were so successful.....

By the way, can you spare a couple bucks for a pack of cigarettes?

An amazing group really. They collectively have the answers to every problem in the world. They have done more work and made more money for more dumb bosses than anyone else in history. If only...

You can generally pick them out by the bald tires on their rusted out trucks or their lack of skills when they show up on the job.

Jim

Edited by Jim Norman

Jim, i think Homer, said it best..........................."To alcohol, the cause of, and solution to, all of lifes little problems".

Homer of Simpsom's fame, not the Illiad one.

Trapr

Edited by bigbrowndog

Jim, i think Homer, said it best..........................."To alcohol, the cause of, and solution to, all of lifes little problems".

Homer of Simpsom's fame, not the Illiad one.

Trapr

Yeah, thanks for clearing that up, I get those two mixed up all the time... ;)

What is worse than the gunshop commandos is when the gunshop owner pretends to know more than he really does. The idiot owner of my local gunshop has belittled me on more than one occassion in an effort to show that he knows more.

The first time I was having some problems with the barrel in my 1911 38 Super coming back and hitting the top of the magazine. I was hoping to get some advice on what was the cause. Instead of getting help, he proceeded to belittle me for buying a 1911 in 38 Super. Even though I told him it was going to be my Bianchi Cup gun (and as most of you know, the 1911 38 Super is THE prefered gun and caliber for the Bianchi Cup), he continued to give me crap about it being a 38 Super.

The second time I was in there looking for some reloading components and he started belittling me because I reloaded. He "couldn't believe why anyone would reload with ammo prices so low". ...This was a couple years ago when I was reloading for 38 super and 9mm. I was saving tons of money reloading 38 super and I was reloading 9mm for about 7 to 8 cents versus the 12 cents it cost for WWB at Walmart. ....what an idiot!

Does this ass clown actually think that belittling his customers makes them want to buy stuff??

Darren

. Instead of getting help, he proceeded to belittle me for buying a 1911 in 38 Super. Even though I told him it was going to be my Bianchi Cup gun (and as most of you know, the 1911 38 Super is THE prefered gun and caliber for the Bianchi Cup), he continued to give me crap about it being a 38 Super.

The second time I was in there looking for some reloading components and he started belittling me because I reloaded. He "couldn't believe why anyone would reload with ammo prices so low". ...This was a couple years ago when I was reloading for 38 super and 9mm. I was saving tons of money reloading 38 super and I was reloading 9mm for about 7 to 8 cents versus the 12 cents it cost for WWB at Walmart. ....what an idiot!

Does this ass clown actually think that belittling his customers makes them want to buy stuff??

Darren

I have been told my Open gun was a waste of money because I couldn't use it for home defense as well as not being "Practical".

I am glad I moved to Nebraska.

Back before I knew better (when I first started a few yrs ago) I took an XD I had at the time to the local shop because they installed sights and could order anything supposedly. So my XD and I take a trip to the shop, as I'm browsing around I'm talking to the guy I said I wanted to order a set of adj Dawsons for my XD. Who, he asks, never heard of them... So he proceeds to pull up the DP website while offering to get me a nice set of night sights.... Anyway, his next question is "what are you going to use that for"?? After I tell him USPSA/IPSC PD he goes into a dissertation on how there's no way that XD will be competitive in IPSC since it's all about the mods to the guns and long shots that XD's can't make (someone should tell TGO). I should try their local combat league where no shots are longer than about 7 yards just like most of real life. :rolleyes: I just smiled thanked him for his time then did the research that lead my here and eventually to sending my XD to Rich D so he could turn it into a lean mean PD machine. I'm sure the local guy would be totally appalled by the lack of practicalness of my Brazos SC limited gun.....

Edited by j2fast

Visiting the local Bass Pro several weeks ago in search of reasonably priced bulk shotgun ammo. Found said ammo, checked out some bags and spotting scopes then went to pay for the ammo. I noticed someone down on the far end of the gun counter handling a firearm without any store personnel around and suggested that they might want to fix that "minor" oversight. We stood there for several more minutes waiting for someone to come take money for the ammo we were trying to purchase.

Know it all idiots can be found in any gun store..any high performance parts store..hot rod shops ..ect

I just smile and listen :D If they only knew what I was thinking :P

Oh I have noticed...most of the Expert high performance guys usualy drive off in a cloud of blue smoke....in a pinto

Jim

That blue smoke is because when you load up a high revving engine like this in town traffic you just got to go blow out the cobwebs, don't you know nutin about high tech high performance? Man this here Vega will will turn the quarter in 8 flat.

Minutes?

Jim

That "who the $*%@ are you" question reminded me of another story that happened about 8 years ago....Except it was someone telling me, "who the $&@^ are you?" These folks aren't limited to gun shops, some of them run a booth at the gun shows too. I was wandering around looking for cheap primers and stopped at a Glock customization booth to see what the guy had. We discussed different Glock mods but the whole time, he did nothing but talk down to me, telling me how wrong I was. Then I saw he had a copy of Robin Taylor's book The Glock in Competition sitting on the table. At the time, I didn't know that it had been published. Anyway, he's mid sentence. I notice the book. So naturally I pick it up 'cos my photo is on the cover and I put him on the ignore list. I'm stunned, flipping thru it reading my chapter....all excited - I'm in a book! Wow! And now the guy starts giving me a huge ration about how this isn't a library and telling me I should buy a copy just so I'd learn what mods make sense. I tell him, "Naturally I'm going to buy a copy because I'm in the book." He gives me this "you're so full of it" look. I say "No, really!" I ended up showing him my driver's license to prove it. Now all of a sudden, I'm his best friend....so long as I sign his other copies, he'll let me have a copy of the book for free!! :lol: What a turkey!

Our club president owns a gun store. I have my own chair and a cap to match. Does that make me a gun store commando? :mellow:

:huh::huh: I eat my lunch at the indoor shooting range everyday! Ok it's only 2 blocks from office! I am like Ron! Am i one of those guys???? :blink::blink::blink:

Just a quick note: Our indoor range and gun store is USPSA affilated and almost everyone in there is very helpful. There are always trying to suck everyone into the sport! Thanks goodness they never talk down to people! Proble the reason we have a lot of girl shooters down here!

Edited by MarkS_A18138

I had almost forgotten since I don't really go to gun shows any more. I can't tell you how many times I've had people try to sell me a "Clark" gun that wasn't and getting to watch them back peddling when they realize that I know more than them about the subject.

These folks aren't limited to gun shops, some of them run a booth at the gun shows too.

Hell, I think they aspire to get to the gunshow level.

Like everything else in "our little world" it tends to be split between those claiming to be "REAL WORLD OPERATORS" and those who can actually shoot, and have fun. Stay away from the Tacti-kewl aid guys :rolleyes: .

I started a thread like this a couple years back about a "Farva" wannabe....

One that happened to me last week in Wichita:

I was out there for some flight training, and while chatting with my instructor I learned he had been a recreational shooter. Trying to always be a recruiter / ambassador I mentioned that I enjoyed "action shooting" and explained what that was. GSSF, IDPA, Pins, USPSA, the whole gammut.

Man!! He was hooked from the get go. So much so that he came back with a list of questions the next day, and asked if I would reccommend a first gun that would help him avoid spending months and millions getting the right equipment.

I said I'd love to help, and after further discussion we ended up at a local gunshop (Yes, we finished the lesson first). They had a weekly IDPA match, brochures for both IDPA and USPSA (and DCM). I was impressed.

Now I love my S_I but this was a newby so I reccommended either a G35 or a P-16. They had both, we're having a blast "trying them on" with the "help" of the local gunstore commando, aka HillBilly Ninja. This guy looks like FARVA from "Super Troopers". He's working on getting up into Sharpshooter class by the end of 2005...

(OK, so I've made a quick funny not so quick, but stay with me...)

Anyway, the GLock was ok, but as soon as I reccommend a 1911, I'm a gamer. But when I started talking about safety and gunhandling he really lit up.

TEF guy proceeds to explain how EVEN IDPA has some gamey rules on gunhandling and goes on to show us how to "press check", like he's seen Steven Seagal do, no doubt. This guy swept everything up to his wrist!!!

I am grimnacing and flinching throughout the display, when he tops it off with "Yeah, they don't like that kind of stuff at them matches, but then again......I'M A REAL WORLD OPERATOR".

I almost doubled over trying to keep from laughing at the jelly donought letting us in on how tuff he really was....

Edited by dirtypool40

Our club president owns a gun store. I have my own chair and a cap to match. Does that make me a gun store commando? :mellow:

:huh::huh: I eat my lunch at the indoor shooting range everyday! Ok it's only 2 blocks from office! I am like Ron! Am i one of those guys???? :blink::blink::blink:

Just a quick note: Our indoor range and gun store is USPSA affilated and almost everyone in there is very helpful. There are always trying to suck everyone into the sport! Thanks goodness they never talk down to people! Proble the reason we have a lot of girl shooters down here!

How come you always tell me i suck??? LoL ;)

I can't tell you how many times I've had people try to sell me a "Clark" gun that wasn't and getting to watch them back peddling

That sounds every bit as fun as the conversations I sometimes have at Nationals.... someone will start telling me about all the conversations they've had with their Area Director about rules or whatever, and I try to keep a straight face when I introduce myself ("by the way, hi, I'm Bruce, your Area Director")

:blink:

Joey I tell you suck because you do! Not trying to be nice! You suck, and Whit is now kicking your ass each week!!!! I won't tell everyone on here that you are a speed shop comando!!!!! OK, he's not!!!! But I bet he can tell you about the guys that come in there Racecar shop that are!!!!! heheheheh

Do any of you all have the guy that come to the range that has been in every covert part of the Gov. We do and he love to tell us how to shoot, drive our cars and reload. As i set here and eat lunch at the range he has come in to shoot for a while. Guess what lunch is now over!!!!!

Joey I tell you suck because you do! Not trying to be nice! You suck, and Whit is now kicking your ass each week!!!! I won't tell everyone on here that you are a speed shop comando!!!!! OK, he's not!!!! But I bet he can tell you about the guys that come in there Racecar shop that are!!!!! heheheheh

Hey the past few weeks that you shot i didnt see your name above whitneys eather :huh: haha

"One of lifes little pleasures is seeing a lady shooter put an arrogant idiots feet to the fire..."
Well, not exactly putting their feet to any fire, but when another shooter comes up to me at the range and sez, "You know more about Kimber 1911s than I do, can you show my friend how to field strip and clean his new Kimber...?" Gotta love it. And so I set everything else down for a bit and showed him how. ;)