Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What grips do you like?

Viggen

Just as a curiosity, what sort of grips do you like. For a while I used the Hogue synthetics. For now I am using Jerry's grips. I have run across folks who liked them and others who returned to the rubber Hogues.

Now some others, expecially those who do the weak hand reloads, like a sort of big wooden grip with finger groves also by Hogue.

What grips do you like and what sort of reload do you do? Did it affect you choice of grips?

I like the Miculek grips for three reasons.  

1-  I shoot a 625 N frame for USPSA and a 66 K frame for IDPA.  The Miculek grips for each gun are exactly the same size!  This means I don't have to refamiliarize myself with each gun everytime I switch.

2.  The wood grips make dumping the empties in the K frame a less stressful operation because they don't get hung up on the grip like they occasionally did when I was shooting with rubber grips.

3.  The smooth wood has less tendency to stick when doing a transfer to weak hand.  Occasionally, because rubber is "sticky" the gun jerks a little off axis when my palm slides over the butt of the gun.

Paul

• 2 weeks later...

Scott,

I have a pair of those that came off my original 6.5" 610.  They were re-finished by the original owner who wanted the wood sealed up with a coat of clear.  As the longer barreled 610 is a bit big for action shooting, it has become my Javelina hunting gun and I put on a nice pair of regular finger groove wood hogue grips.  

The grips are just sitting in my grip box unused.     Been planning on trying to work out a trade with them for another set of Miculek grips for one of my many N frame round butt's. If you are interested in them send me a note on messenger.    

Neal in AZ

• 4 weeks later...

Hawker and SRT, Jerry has large hands also.  He designed the grips for highest possible grip and there is no checkering so the grip can be adjusted if you get a bad grab coming out of the holster.  I didn't think that the grips fit my hand either, until I put the Hogue rubbers back on.  Jerry's grips have a permanant home on my 610 now.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a set of Herrett Roper stocks on my 25-5. They are excellent for all types of shooting. The Herretts are my favorite.

I also took a dremel tool to the original set of S&W "Target" grips that came with  the gun. They are a perfect fit now but they kill my hands to shoot heavier loads. I have made them my CCW grips. You know, carry alot shoot a little (hopefully never).

I am still waiting to find a set of Miculek grips to feel before I save my pennies to get something that may not fit my small hands.

Dave.

• 3 months later...

I liked Jerry's Grips because they point on target well, I stopped using them because they allowed my hand to move TOO much and I missed targets with it. It reloads fast and you can re-index if you get a bad grip, but I decided it didn't matter if I was already missing the target. I use Hogue rubber with finger grooves. I cut away the side bulge top strap to clear brass as I reload. Don't know if I will do the same to my 625. It's ugly (make sure you take the grip off before you do it) but it is functional.

I think that the choice of grip should be based on finger length rather than the size of the hand. Long fingers need packing on the backstrap to avoid cramping the trigger finger as the shot breaks. Short fingers need an uncovered backstrap to avoid having to reach for the trigger at reset.

I agree 100% with what George said. I have long fingers (about 5-5.5"). I tried all sorts of stuff with grips. Then finally I just modified my grip by dremeling it down to almost nothing, and building it up from scratch using Milliput (a 2 component epoxy putty). The grip really looks like crap, but it shoots like a dream. The two major areas that have helped me are:

1- A big strip of epoxy on the backstrap, so the backstrap is further away from the trigger. I don't get the cramped finger, like George said.

2- A strip of epoxy on the left side of the grip, where it touches the backstrap. This gives my weak hand an enormous amout of support. Controlling the gun is much easier.

IMHO, just make sure the grip fills your hand. Leave no areas of the hand not in contact with the gun.

There is no doupt in my mind that Jerry Miculeks grips are the best, lets face it, most of our time as revolver shooters is spent reloading or positioning the gun to reload, so we must choose our grips accordingly, strictly for speed, the Hogues are good grips, but they are extremely sticky and unforgiving where speed is concerened.