Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Trip In Usa: Where To Find A Club Open To Foreign Shooters ...

Stefano

Not sure if this is the right section for this topic ....

I'm an IPSC Production B-class shooter from Genova (Italy) and my "dream in the drawer" is to come in USA for some wheeks of vacation with my wife, to have the chance to improve my language, possibly finding a Club where I can rent a production gun (I think it coud be a big problem to come in USA with my own gun ...) and have a good shooting course with some good shooter .... :):):)

Recently I've joined USPSA as "foreign member" (mostly to receive Front Sight Magazine ...) and I wonder if this can help my project.

Can anybody suggest to me a place (and a Club) where I can find good teachers and be accepted for 1-2 weeks ?

The 2nd problem are ammunitions: in tha same Club can I reload for my daily practice ?

Thanks !

I would not rule out bringing your own gun and leather. This is a link to the application form for the Florida Open. It includes (as far as I know) all of the paperwork that you would need to bring your gun into this country. All that should be necessary is to receive an invitation (similar to the once in the link) inviting you to attend a match here in the USA.

http://www.frankgarciausa.com/flaopen/register.html

Ammunition would be available at any Walmart, and likely at prices far cheaper than you can load it in Italy, but that is just a guess.

As you narrow the scope of your search, I am sure others will chime in with more specific information.

If you come to West Texas, I've got glocks & gear & can help you reload ammo at my place on my 650.

Here is our club: www.texassightmasters.com . We also shoot over in Eastern New mexico at www.leaactionshooters.com . Ours are little clubs but you would definitely be welcome!

If you put out the dates of your visit & where you are planning to be, I bet someone will jump up & help you out!

MLM ty46913

Hi Stefano, I don't think you should have a hard time finding some US shooters that will loan you a rig for a match. We have a group of British guys that come here to Colorado once a year and we set them all up with gear.

So I suggest figuring out where you'd like to go first (perfectly fine to ask questions to figure that out on here) and once you do post on here to find a local club and some BErs that will help you out.

There are USPSA clubs all over the US so you shouldn't have a hard time. I think the one place you could probably do the most shooting in a short period would be Phoenix, AZ.

I have traveled alot over the past years and expericed some shooting in the west.

1. Phoenix/Mesa area probably has more shooting in a smaller geographically area than anywhere else.

2. Californina has a match somewhere every weekend but you have to drive

3. Louisiana has some great matches all over the southern part of the state.

4. Never been shooting in Florida but it seems like a great place to shoot.

Instruction-wise: I would recommend AZ first--Matt Burkett, Robbie (if you are lucky enough to hit his drill masters club shoot) and Angus Hobdell are a just a few who might be available for instruction.

Check their websites and email them your questions.

As for reloading- email them or just buy WWB at Walmart

How about the site of our last Nationals, the United States Shooting Academy?

http://www.usshootingacademy.com/index.html

Shooting instruction offered by Phil Strader, among others (take a look at the staff roster).

The South West would be another good option (Angus is, like you, European), as would possibly a visit to Frank Garcia's range.

I think most of us would loan you all the equipment you need to shoot with us. Our sport is like many around the world, we're an international brotherhood . . . only very competitive.

My club has one practice match per week and a formal match on the first Sunday of every month. You're not going to get a lot of shooting done in two months at that rate. If, however, you're looking for training, there are a number of schools around the country with intense shooting programs. You could go home a much better shooter.

Unfortunately, you might also go home a divorced man. Most of the shooting schools, by their nature, are in less densely populated areas without much to draw the average European tourist. We find that the public's appreciation for guns is directly proportional to their distance from them.

Lee

Actually, I think it would be rare to find a club that _wouldn't_ lend you a full rig unless there was some local legal reason why not.

The stereotype of Americans all having a closet full of guns happens to be true in regard to IPSC shooters ;)

steffano, if you and your wife want to come to Arizona we could setr you both up. relaoding ammo is not a problem. the only problem is if you do not come to Arizona soon it will be too hot to do anything most people do hot belive how hot it is all day long. if you are coming in the summer nmonths do not come to arizona you will be uncomfortable.

john b

Guys,

thank so mutch to ALL of you from the deepest of my heart !

Your kindness and hospitality is impressive ! !

It seems to me really to belong to a big family, all over the world :):):)

Thanks againt to all of you: at the moment I have not jet planned my trip, but when it will be done I'll let it to you know.

Stefano

I am from the USA (Ohio). And, we have some great shooting here (getting better all the time).

But, if I were to go on a shooting vacation...it would be to the Phoenix, AZ area.

To round out the trip...I'd go to the Grand Canyon, and then on to Las Vegas to play a bit.

We get a few threads like this every so often (I don't know if you could find one with a search or not). I like to suggest knowing when you might come and trying to catch one of the major matches.

As you have heard...the USA is a big country. For reference, I am in Columbus, Ohio...to drive to the Nationals in Tulsa, Oklahoma is a 12 hour drive (you can map that and get an idea).

The southern states are hot in the summer. The northern states are cold in the winter. (Enough to make it a factor.)

If you fly into New York City (which is likely) then post here before you do. NYC is not gun friendly.

I am from the USA (Ohio). And, we have some great shooting here (getting better all the time).

But, if I were to go on a shooting vacation...it would be to the Phoenix, AZ area.

To round out the trip...I'd go to the Grand Canyon, and then on to Las Vegas to play a bit.

We get a few threads like this every so often (I don't know if you could find one with a search or not). I like to suggest knowing when you might come and trying to catch one of the major matches.

As you have heard...the USA is a big country. For reference, I am in Columbus, Ohio...to drive to the Nationals in Tulsa, Oklahoma is a 12 hour drive (you can map that and get an idea).

The southern states are hot in the summer. The northern states are cold in the winter. (Enough to make it a factor.)

If you fly into New York City (which is likely) then post here before you do. NYC is not gun friendly.

Thanks Flex,

I have been in USA (in the past) for two times:

the first to meet a friend of my at the FBI Academy in Quantico, plus a nice trip to Annapolis and Washington D.C.

the second for a whole week at New York (... Gosh: I love NY !).

Due to the fact that me and my wife have a couple of good frends of us who lives in Gilbert, I think that our trip will be in Arizona.

And if I'm not wrong Gilbert is quite near to Phoenix ... B)B)B)

The biggest decision to take is about my gun: I shoot in Production with a Tanfoglio in 9x21 caliber (at the moment a TSC but I'm waiting directly from the factory a new Stock II that will be in my hands in a few days ...) and I don't know if I can easily find ammos in this caliber in USA (or if I can reload it easily...).

Edited by Stefano

Nobody in the USA shoots 9x21 (well...a few of our Open shooter do...but they are in the vast minority and are hard to find).

9x19 can be bought rather cheaply over the counter in local department stores (Wal-mart, etc.) It is readily available...everywhere.

Many here don't even bother to reload for our Production division...since the 9x19 ammo is so easy to get (it only costs a bit more than reloading it).

If you want to bring your gun...I'd get in touch with Hennning (in the dealer section here) about getting a 9mm (9x19) barrel for it while you are here.

You are right Gilbert is right around Phoenix. Contact your friends and ask them what time of year might be best for being outside in the heat for extended hours at a time.

Well ... there is a limit on loaded ammunition on airplanes. Is there a limit on components? Throw in a bag of brass and you should be able to arange for powder, primers, and bullets on this end.

Edited by Vlad

I think you have figured it out that IF YOU SHOW UP, you'll have something to shoot and some place to shoot it....

So, with that said, let me know if you're coming to north Texas. We shoot a bunch in the Dallas-FT Worth area...

You can shoot a Glock 17, Single stack .40, LTD .40 or I even can pull an OPEN .38 super out of mothballs...sorry no TZ, CZ, or Tanfoglios...yet

We'll go over to SV so you can see how they're built and meet that crew...????

stefano here in apache junction whinch is 20-30 miles from gilbert. we have a local gun shop that sells wwb 9x21 and i have seen 9x23 in the store. Ammo will not be a problem in arizona if this is where you plan to take your trip to.

john b

Consider yourself lucky that you're heading to Arizona. Happens to be the shooting capital of the nation :D Chances are you'll see TGO or Matt Burkett at a match.

Of course this it would be a great honour and pleasure, but for me it would be also GREAT to meet some of you, my dear friends, having the pleasure of shooting together ... ;););)

I guess it's pretty obvious that shooters on this side of the big pond are very generous with their guns and promote shooting as much as possible. That doesn't surprize me.

I'm by far not the only one who brings a second gun, gear, and ammo to matches so someone can borrow them and try a match. There IS power in numbers. We need our membership to grow!

The political arena here in the US may change drastically in '08

and the more folks on our side the better!

Edited by Mick