Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Low Turnout Of Wheelgunners

hopalong

Well it doesn't look very impressive at all, Kind of disheartening really.

Alabama..........................3 out of 91( usually half a dozen or so)

Double Tap......................0 :angry: out of 200+ Don't know why but this has never drawn more than 3

Florida State.....................3 out of 197....don't know the history much but seems like it has been more in the past

South Carolina.................11 out of 210 (more like it)

Space City.......................5 out of 200+

Those are major matches already shot this year.

Self-Sqadding shows:

A-4...............................4 out of 119 entered

A-5...............................6 missed the total entered

A-6...............................7 out of 300+

A-7...............................12 again forget the numbers entered so far

With other matches starting to squad but very few wheelgunners in them too!

Now I am beginning to understand the answer to all the questions of why? and where are all the wheelgunners I have posted in the past. :(

I know gas prices is not helping for sure, but seems like the match numbers are the same but revo division numbers are down for the first part of the year.

Just an observation, I may be way off here..........have been before. :blink:

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Double Tap......................0 :angry: out of 200+ Don't know why but this has never drawn more than 3

I can give some insight. The first year we had 4. Rudy, Me, Gil, and Kingston. The division was not recognized. The order of finish was as listed. Kingston got a plaque for Super Senior.

Last year 2 of us showed up. Same situation.

This year I decided my time and money would be better spent elsewhere.

This match tends to have a lot of what some would call carnival stages. I may do the Texas Limited this year. We'll see.

It may not be the reply you are looking for , but I was one of the few that shot SC Sectional in Revo and will be at Area 6 in a few weeks . I also plan to attend GA State. This is my first time shooting Revo in the bigger USPSA matches and I made my decision to do so based on a lot of the buzz on this forum . It's been fun so far. I am surprised to see fewer Revo shooters at AREA 6 than SC Sectional. Maybe I will be surprised and there will be a good turnout for GA State in June. There are plenty of slots left for GA match and entry fee is a little more economical than some .

(I see down at the bottom of the page that a BOD member is reading this thread right this very second. That's great--just what we need them to see--a bunch of negative talk about revolver participation when it's only friggin' April. From inside our own ranks, no less....)

But hey--I'm signed up to shoot the wheelgun at a whole slew of major matches this year, all across the country from California to Vermont! I know a bunch of other dedicated revolver guys who are doing the same thing. Add in all the new wheelgunners contributing here, and I think we're going to have a great 2007 shooting year in revolver!! :D

You guys need to get some young guys involved somehow.

I dont shoot revo but I really really dont want to see the class go away!!!

Maybe get some special prizes for revo, I dont know exactly but you (WE) need to do something.

Maybe let people Shoot two classes for 1 money...something....anything just dont let this special group of people dwindle away!!!!

Jim

I had planned to do Nationals, Area 7, AWARE, and the Summer Blast. I'm a blue-collar guy trying to save for a house and kids in the PR of Mass...

A7 and AWARE (the only two big matches within 5 or so hours) were merged...and on a weekend I can't do.

Summer Blast... is the weekend after my brother's wedding, and I can't get the Friday off to travel.

Nationals (as I've said before) is scheduled too late in the year for a lot of us working stiffs. I bid my vacation in early November- and all the guys who took that week (of Nats.) off had already booked stuff during the off-season for this coming year.

I plan to do as many local matches and stuff as I can this year (and the Northeast Sectional- which should be a REALLY good sectional match), but the big ones are out this time around.

Maybe Nationals next year (if we get a venue and dates early enough....)

I am really feeling missing A7/AWARE. The BEST revolver numbers I've seen yet for that match. I'd also love to meet some of you guys....it's just too much traveling that month. I like spending time with my wife and family too :)

Greg

edit for spellingkfhskcihngf :)

Edited by Mooney

Self-Sqadding shows:

4 out of 119 so far is still 400% of last year's A-4 revolver entrants. (how's that for cheerleading?)

I'm pretty much a newbie and have shot only on the Louisiana bayous so far. It ought to be fun to shoot as far north as the Clark Range in Princeton.

Not neccisarily negative talk, an attempt at a pep talk!!!!!

Aiiight then.....I'll buy that. Pep 'em up. :)

You guys need to get some young guys involved somehow.

I dont shoot revo but I really really dont want to see the class go away!!!

Maybe get some special prizes for revo, I dont know exactly but you (WE) need to do something.

Maybe let people Shoot two classes for 1 money...something....anything just dont let this special group of people dwindle away!!!!

Jim

Jim, all good points. One of our most promising wheelgunners is Nils J. from AZ, he's still a junior shooter. My son Sam is moving up the ranks nicely also. Gotta remember, shooting a wheelgun in competition is damn hard compared to the Open guns that many young shooters are started on. Personally, I think the smart move is teach the kid to shoot a revolver before he knows any better, then everything else seems easy by comparison!

.......a weekend I can't do.......weekend after my brother's wedding.......can't get the Friday off to travel.......too late in the year.......

Not trying to pick on you in particular here, Mooney, but it's tough to commit to a heavy match schedule for all of us, just for different reasons. I wear a white collar to work these days, and most weeks I can only wish I were punching a clock again, because of the sheer number of exhausting hours this profession requires of me. But I'm not willing to give up the things I enjoy, so I don't get much sleep and I hardly ever sit down and watch TV.

I understand what it's like to be spread too thin. When my kids were little I took a 9-year sabbatical from serious competitive shooting, and I'm glad I did.

If you really want to compete on the national level, you have to make it a priority.

Then again, there's absolutely nothing wrong with just shooting local matches, if that's your thing.

Hey look at the bright side, You've got me shooting a wheelie :P I wish I could go to more majors this year. But its just not in the cards for this year. :( At least I'll be able to shoot locally every weekend. Plus, Gary Cuititta has taken me under his wing so hopefully by the end of this year I'll be a contender and if not a contender at least I'll have fun trying.

I am very disappointed with the Area 6 turnout.

Jerry has been there every year. If you can't make the nationals, here is your chance to see how you stack up with the best in our division.

Edited by cliffwalsh

Alabama..........................3 out of 91( usually half a dozen or so)

Florida State.....................3 out of 197....don't know the history much but seems like it has been more in the past

South Carolina.................11 out of 210 (more like it)

Space City.......................5 out of 200+

Those are major matches already shot this year.

Self-Sqadding shows:

A-5...............................6 missed the total entered

A-6...............................7 out of 300+

A-7...............................12 again forget the numbers entered so far

With other matches starting to squad but very few wheelgunners in them too!

Now I am beginning to understand the answer to all the questions of why? and where are all the wheelgunners I have posted in the past. :(

I know gas prices is not helping for sure, but seems like the match numbers are the same but revo division numbers are down for the first part of the year.

Just an observation, I may be way off here..........have been before. :blink

Hop,

There were two at the Double tap this year !!!!!!!

I had a great time.........

For some (me)... time and money may be an issue........ It is a shame though the DTC is a great match !!!!

Just my $.02

Kevin

I'm pretty much a newbie and have shot only on the Louisiana bayous so far. It ought to be fun to shoot as far north as the Clark Range in Princeton.

Hey Jon, you should come up and shoot the Mississippi Classic May19-20. There's going to be 10 great stages. Talk to Lloyd L., Robert C. or Jim D. they will fill you in on the match.

Hey Jon, you should come up and shoot the Mississippi Classic May19-20. There's going to be 10 great stages. Talk to Lloyd L., Robert C. or Jim D. they will fill you in on the match.

Haras,

I'm sore tempted between the revolver freiendliness of the local 6 stage ICORE match to be held May 19th and the legendary hospitality of the Mississippi club at the Classic on the 19th and 20th. What a no lose situation!

Edited by Dogged

I would be partly responsible for the better turn out in South Carolina. I had convinced two very good shooters to go and 1 changed to lim 10. Both are very good and will probably come in at B class...with some effort A should be easy for them. Bummer the one I got to shoot was unclassified....but he was happy to shoot around 62% of Cliff. He didn't have a great match but it was his first big one. Next year i think both will shoot the SC, Area 6 and maybe the NC matches.

because of the sheer number of exhausting hours this profession requires of me

Yeah, I know that one (and that's part of what I'm talking about)...up at 0230 and bed at 2230. There's gotta be a better way. Maybe if I get my OWN rig...work in a national schedule as I get paid to travel....that may be a thought down the road (no pun intended)

Well, I don't know that we're going to make it to the 20 needed for Nats. slots, but there are seven signed up for the MS Classic so far and the match is still a month away. Given the other great matches we have scheduling conflicts with that weekend, I'm feeling pretty good about the turnout so Rah Rah Revo.

So far the Sunflower Classic I think we have 18, and I'm working on a few others.

I'm signed up for Revolver in:

SFC

Iowa Sectional

Oklahoma REV/PSS Sectional

Plan on:

Area 3

Area 5 (as of now)

Iowa Rev/PSS Match

Area 4 is 3 days, and I don't have that time this year

Nationals?

See what the summer holds.

Dave

Haras,

I'm sore tempted between the revolver freiendliness of the local 6 stage ICORE match to be held May 19th and the legendary hospitality of the Mississippi club at the Classic on the 19th and 20th. What a no lose situation!

Aww... tell Annette thanks but you're "Gone to Mississippi". You can make up the ICORE match by coming up and shooting with our ICORE club the next weekend May 26th.

(hmm... I'm going to have to talk to her about that scheduling conflict next year.... no wonder we're shy of revolver shooters)

First, the good news. At South Carolina we had our second year of record Revo turnout, with 11. We are a smaller match, and I expect Revo to continue to grow. We paid back $550 in awards to Revolver shooters (with the money split between 5 different shooters).

Congratulations to Revolver High Overall - Cliff Walsh, SC Revolver Champion - James Vaught, First C Class Revolver - Mark Sullivan, First D Class - Tom McLaughlin, First Super Senior Revolver - Richard Timberlake. It was the first year we gave out more than 3 awards to Revolver shooters.

At Summer Blast, with 235 shooters registered, I have 16 Revolver shooters (& expecting at least 2 more based on email). I would LOVE to get at least 22 (to hit the magical 20 for Nationals slots & have a few to cushion the inevitable last minute withdrawals from the match). Summer Blast has a variety of time slots, can be shot in half a day & not priced to bust your budget at $75. We have proven in the past that we are willing to work with revo shooters on squadding (VERY flexible squadding), so that we can build revolver squads in any time slot.

At Targeting Education - sadly, I only have 2 Revo shooters in the IPSC match (but that match is $150 & weekday only). In the USPSA match, I don't understand why there are only 4 revo shooters in the USPSA match (& 2 of those are match staff!). The cost is $90. We are running a half day format & are located within a short drive of a large number of revolver shooters. Where are you guys?

Linda Chico (L-2035)

Multiple matches - looking for wheelgunners

Hmmmm.....chopped liver time...... :P

I am switching to Revo this year and almost have my 25-2 rebuilt for the season. I will be competing in USPSA this year in Revo, and when I get my Nats slot it will be for Revo. I will be shooting the Area III, Nats, Hopefully the Fall Classic as well and the SS/Revo match along with the KS Sectional/ICORE match and anything else I can get to/afford.

As my first line of Competition is Steel Challenge and the Major Steel matches...I can only afford so much in this Shooting Competion per year. I am trying to get all my gear ready for the 1000mile trek to the PSA this week... :blink:

Hop, The REVO-lution will happen, my friend, but it aint gonna happen overnight....

I am excited for the season, let it begin!

DougC

Last year we had five wheel gunners at the NM Sectional match in Albequerque. So far this year I only know of two of us that will be making the match. Unfortunately, the dates conflict with an ICORE match. The dates of the match are June 3-4. Entry fees is $85.00. Looks to be a good match. Hope to see some of you there.