Micah

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

*L-I-N-K*

While being a counselor at a juvenile detention facility in my county in 2005, I had several credible threats leveled against me by gang members. This was nothing new, but when one of the deputy sheriffs recommended that I protect myself when outside of the jail, my journey into firearms began.

I had never owned a firearm until then, and although I held a fascination with pistols, had only shot one four or five times in my life. My family never owned guns, and even though my first year of college was spent in Lexington, Kentucky, I was too busy playing football and studying (partying) to make the effort to find some friends to shoot with.

My first pistol was a Walther PPK/S (thanks to a gun store commando). Weeks later I took a CCW class so that I could carry this piece of garbage. At the class, the instructor suggested that we all find shooting ranges to practice at. Finding this prudent, and tired of having guns pointed at me at a public indoor range in Cincinnatti, I joined a little indoor club in Dayton called Sim Trainer. Months went on, the beavertail bite created scars, but I still enjoyed every minute. Someone at the range suggested that I sell that stupid PPK/S and buy myself a real gun, so I picked up a Glock 30.

One day at the range, two dudes named Chris Keen and Bill Seevers were there and invited me to participate in the Tuesday night league matches that they held there. I was apprehensive for two reasons: I knew that I was a terrible shot, and I did not want to embarrass myself. They talked me into it.

So one night, I showed up with my fat G30 and three short magazines. Scared as hell and full of embarrassment, Bill and Chris coached me on what USPSA was all about, and I shot the match. It was the coolest thing that I had ever participated in! I made every match from then on.

More months continued, and although many of the shooters at the Tuesday league shot other larger outdoor club matches, I was stuck working at the jail on the weekends. I read up on everything that there was to know about USPSA online and from another forum (oh dear!). Bill held a class for shooters that wanted to take their shooting to the next step, and that is when my quest really began. I never won my class at the Tuesday matches, but Bill turned me on to these new forums created by a guy named Brian Enos, some books from a dude named Saul Kirsch, and a technique pioneered by a cat called Steve Anderson known as dryfiring.

In my one bedroom apartment I began to dryfire every day. Progress was slow at first, but I never missed a chance to improve my shooting. Reading up on the new shooting forums, I began to develop better techniques in my shooting. December 18th 2006 I made B class and began winning local matches, but I knew that I could become a better shooter...knew that improvement was always there to be made.

My caste as a poor college kid continued into a graduate program, and my time continued to remain short each day with student teaching, presentations, and work, but the dryfire was always there. Even today as I write this on the cusp of getting my new degree I have just enough ammo to make it through the 2009 season, but could not be happier!

*SKIP HERE TO GET TO THE POINT*

Today, May 14th, 2009, the USPSA classification system updated and I am happy to say that I have made my way into the Grand Master class. I know that I can become a better shooter...I know that improvement is always there to be made.

See you at the range :D

Today, May 14th, 2009, the USPSA classification system updated and I am happy to say that I have made my way into the Grand Master class. I know that I can become a better shooter...I know that improvement is always there to be made.

See you at the range :D

Congratulations, Micah! :cheers:

*SKIP HERE TO GET TO THE POINT*

F'n A right! :wacko::P

Congrats Micah you've come a long way from Area 5 in Wisconsin, drunken bet at Hooters and all.

Congrats! :cheers:

Now quit all that silly dryfiring and get to work on winning some FIELD COURSES!

Congratulations PB on GM! The story of your journey from noob in 2005 to GM in 2009 is awesome... should be required reading for some of my employees so they can understand the concepts of commitment, motivation, tenacity, goal-setting and dedication!

Thanks alot guys...I really appreciate it :)

I remember when I first started here, my sig line was "No sleep 'til master". That's back when I was more hung up on classification and not focused on technique and skill.

Thousands of hours training and shooting, and now I have found:

When you are a GM, you can't get any f*#king sleep if you want to win your class ;)