Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Broken Aftec Extractor

Mig

My Open 9 major gun had an unusual part breakage. The AFTEC extractor broke in two and it happened during match.

Broken AFTEC

I’ve never seen or heard of this kind of breakage and was wondering if anyone has come across this type of failure.

Call Derek, get him to send you a new one...

+1 on that. I'd ask him to cover the match fees.

I've been trying to decide whether or not to start putting this extractor in my pistols. I'm starting to think that the AFTEC extractor is a perfectly good solution to a nonexistent problem.

My junk alarm is going off right now..........

Call Derek, get him to send you a new one...

+1 on that. I'd ask him to cover the match fees.

Not funny. Totally unreasonable request. :angry:

Check with your auto parts guy if anybody honors a garantee for parts used on a race car.

Ask nicely for a replacement for the broken extractor. You will probably get it. Be gratefull.

I think the only time you truly need an aftec is in a open gun. And that is where I have mine. I have been able to get all of my limited guns to run without one very easily, butit seems fo reliable extraction and ejection( not hitting the scope mount ) they are the best answer.

Assuming your gun is well built, and the slide is within spec, and you (or someone else) haven't done something stupid to it, the ACE is a better mousetrap.

However, scirocco38s is somewhat correct, in that the extractor was initially developed to solve the problem of extractors losing tension on race guns at old major - it did that superbly. In general, its use in non-Open guns is still a good thing - but perhaps not as necessary. Some newer "original" style extractors seem to perform better than what was available when the ACE first hit the market - but I still choose the AFTEC for my guns...

I had the hook break off an AFTEC but the same thing happened to the original extractor so I considered it a gun problem and started using another gun. Gunsmith found the original gun had a crack in the slide and a crack in a barrel lug. Caspian frame backup gun has had an AFTEC for 5000 rounds with no problems other than going 20 feet to pick up brass.

It broke exactly where a heat treated hard metal part would normally snap. Right at the thin area with no radius on the edge of the drilled hole.

If you think about it, this is the same area a firing pin retainer or a slide always cracks.

With this design its inevitable for a tiny fissure to slip by in mass production every once in a while. Unless we take great pains with our parts to prevent stress fissures, parts will break. These are the F1 cars of the sport and the stresses are extreme.

If you have not altered, IE bent or otherwise screwed up the extractor Deric should replace it no questions.

Note: if you did try and bend an AFTEC, you made it brake. They are NOT tuned by bending, that is not what the heat treat is there to accomplish unlike a soft normal extractor.

From what I have seen they are a great idea that have been well tested and accepted in a sport that wears out and breaks every part on a gun. I use one on every 1911 I own.

If you are going 20 feet to pick up brass its a slide velocity and ejector problem, not an extractor issue. Look for "big" cracked parts in the future.

Edited by blkbrd

• 7 months later...

AFTIC extractors have a lifetime guarantee, as long as you don't alter it in any way. I snapped the hook off one after about 10k. I sent it back and had a new one in 2 weeks. I bought the gun used with 5k and the aftic might have been hard chromed and suffered hydrogen embrittlement in the process making the part brittle and snapping. Derek didnt seem to have a problem w it. I already sent the gun to my smith and he had one in stock so he fixed it, and I have a spare in case it ever happens again.

Before the extractor is blamed for the breakage, look at the clearance pocket in the rear of the barrel. If the front of the extractor is getting hammered against the barrel because there is no clearance, that can break the extractor.

If the extractor is a bit long and was not fitted correctly, it can hit the barrel.

Also, as the hood wears; the slide will move forward as well as the extractor and may start hitting the barrel even though it may of had clearance to start with.

Always good to check the clearance. A standard extractor is more forgiving as it is a bit springy. An Aftec is more ridgid and is more likely to break at the weakest point if it gets beat on.