Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Any Thing Better Than Oneshot Case Lube

JSCHIEFEN

For straightwall pistol cases no, OneShot is the true heat.

For bottleneck rifle and pistol cases yes, the Dillon lanolin based spray lube has never stuck a case for me, whereas the oneshot has for moi and many others. The reasons are varied, but IME the Dillon stuff is better in this specific application only. That is not to say that the Hornady OneShot won't work, just that the Dillon has proven less problematic when you count up the reported issues with either. Small Base dies are a PITA with any lube but the Dillon, or Imperial sizing wax applied by hand.

HAS ANYBODY FOUND ANYTHING THEY LIKE BETTER THAN ONE SHOT CASE LUBE?

I'm sure I'm either really old school or unique in this one! I get unscented lanolin at the drug store....only place you'll likely find it. It comes in a tube that will last for ages. Take a tiny amount and spread it on your hands....the heat from your hands softens it a bit. Then run your hands through a box with several hundred tumbled cases. You only want a trace on any case and not every case needs to be touched. It makes sizing much easier, you don't have to tumble your loaded rounds or clean them in any way. If you use too much the first time or two you might have to lightly wipe the rounds off, but you won't do that more than once or twice. It's easy, clean and your hands will be softer...lol. I think a tube costs around $8 or 9 bucks and will last a long, long time.

I picked this one up from a Layne Simpson article in Shooting Times years ago.

For straightwall pistol cases no, OneShot is the true heat.

For bottleneck rifle and pistol cases yes, the Dillon lanolin based spray lube has never stuck a case for me, whereas the oneshot has for moi and many others. The reasons are varied, but IME the Dillon stuff is better in this specific application only. That is not to say that the Hornady OneShot won't work, just that the Dillon has proven less problematic when you count up the reported issues with either. Small Base dies are a PITA with any lube but the Dillon, or Imperial sizing wax applied by hand.

I may just be lucky but I am using the lyman with small base rcbs .223 dies.

throw a 100 or so in a baggy spray and shake.

No problem in the first 500 or so I have loaded.

I have found one shot leaves a residue and my loaded ammo get sticky and tarnished in about a day. :o

I like RCBS Caseslick better than OneShot, but I had some issues with the spray pump on the newer bottles and have been transfering the new stuff to an old botlle with a better pump. I don't know if they have fixed it or not.

One shot in the aerosol can is the standard by which all are judged.

However I have been using size-All by CP and it is slicker.

Spray either one in a gallon freezer ziplock with cases, roll to coat and poor in hopper.

I still clean all rounds with food grade silicone spray and a towel after loading.

"Lyman Qwik spray" smells better works better and doesn't discolor my loaded ammo or get sticky

Thanks. I noticed with the Dillon stuff it get major sticky. Not really something I want gumming up my mags. :(

One shot in the aerosol can is the standard by which all are judged.

However I have been using size-All by CP and it is slicker.

Spray either one in a gallon freezer ziplock with cases, roll to coat and poor in hopper.

I still clean all rounds with food grade silicone spray and a towel after loading.

Are you talking something like Pam?

RCBS lube in the white 2oz bottle, mix it 1oz RCBS to 16oz Isopropyl Alcohol (90%+ flavor), spray that out of a 2oz Breath Right Snore Relief pump bottle, let alcohol evap couple minute, size away.

Edited by SBR7_11

RCBS lube in the white 2oz bottle, mix it 1oz RCBS to 16oz Isopropyl Alcohol (90%+ flavor), spray that out of a 2oz Breath Right Snore Relief pump bottle, let alcohol evap couple minute, size away.

I'll give it a shot... thanks.

I've found the pump One-Shot works a heck of a lot better when sprayed very lightly.

No way I'm leaving anything on my loaded ammo that feels sticky to me. Of course I wouldn't leave it on even if it felt slick. I followed advice given here on using alcohol with my tumbler media and it gets the lube right off in short order.

I stuck a case in my 308 die on Thursday using One Shot. So I reverted to Lee's case lube. It isn't as convenient as the One Shot, but it has *never* stuck a case for me. It is inexpensive too.

I also like the Imperial Sizing Die Wax, it works on the same principal, but the Lee stuff dries quickly.

If I could figure a way to mix the Lee stuff with Isopropyl alcohol and a spray bottle, I would use that. I really can't say enough good about it.

• 1 year later...

This is the cheapest and best case lube method I have found, and I use it for both pistol and rifle cartridges. Basically a home-brew version of Dillon spray lube but much cheaper than any commercial product. Works much better than Hornady One-Shot in my experience, night and day difference. I tried the "dab of lube on your hands and run them through the cases" method (which works pretty dang well), but the spray method is a little more convenient and lubes more uniformly in my opinion.

4 ounces Liquid Lanolin from the local health food store: $7.00

16 ounce bottle of 91% Isopropyl Alcohol from Walmart: $2.00

General purpose spray bottle (free, liberated it from my wife's cleaning supplies)

old pillow case (free, again liberated from the linen closet)

Result: 20 ounces of spray lube for under 10 bucks.

Mix lanolin and alcohol in spray bottle. Shake well before use. Set nozzle to spray a fine mist.

Place several hundred cleaned cases in pillow case. Make sure the cases are free from media grit.

Lay pillow case on floor and "flatten" the pile of brass cases, maximizing the surface area for the spray.

Spray 2 or 3 squirts onto cases in pillow case.

Roll brass around inside the pillow case, the lube will spread around very easily.

The alcohol will evaporate through the pillow case leaving only the lanolin lube on the cases.

Store the brass cases in the pillow case until you load it, to prevent dust from building up.

Re-use pillow case over and over again, the lanolin builds up and makes subsequent lubing easier.

For match ammo, I tumble my cartridges after QC to remove any leftover lube residue. For practice ammo I just leave the lube on.

Edited by big_kahuna

• 7 months later...
OneShot Lube says that it will not foul primers and powder. Is that the case for the dillon spray lube as well?

Check the MSDS sheet to see if there are petrolium products in it.

If there are, then it's not safe for primers or powder.

Anything that's water based is good, but of all the lube I have tried - petrolium based and water based - Lee has been the best, even though it can be a PITA to apply. As I stated earlier I use surgical gloves and use my fingers but others use the small squirt in the plastic bag and shake method.

I use the gallon ziplock bag routine with ACE brand silicone spary. I use such a small amount that it won't hurt anything. As a matter of fact after I shake and knead the bag the inside is dry.

I sprayed about 100 223 lake city brass with One Shot = it had been cleaned and deprimed ans was bright and shinny before I started. 7 stuck cases out of 100 I sprayed the heck out of it , waited sprayed it again. after the fourth stuck case I started rolling a few in the RCBS lube = That worked great.

I don't think I care much for One Shot and 223

I've used both One Shot and Dillon. I like Dillon better even on my pistol cases. I just roll them around in an old tshirt after loading... they do get a tad sticky sometimes.

What are the advantages of the dillon over OneShot?

I feel that the Dillon lube is slightly heavier and seems to allow the sizing to go smoother. I think the one shot evaporates quick and doesn't leave much lube behind. Just my experience. With .223 I think it makes a big difference as well.. where it's needed much more than pistol brass. Only draw back is you need to do a little clean up after, no biggy.