Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Grip Tape?

Tattoo

Whether grip tape will work for you is entirely dependent on how you grip the gun. If you're the type that gets their shooting grip locked while clearing leather, you'll likely be tape-compatible. If you are the type that tends to adjust your grip on the way up and out, you may not like it....or may find that you have to re-learn your draw in order to accomodate the fact that your hand pretty much isn't going to move on the gun once you grip it.

There's no right or wrong, just what works for you. And I have friends that I highly respect and who are very talented that either don't use grip tape, or have switched back and forth from using it to not just based on what seems "right" at the time.

There are also other products out there besides grip tape. There are rubber grip socks (basically bike inner tubes) and A-Grip, which is more of a suede-like material. Keep an open mind and don't let yourself get locked into any one religion. What puts the highest hit factor on your scorecard is the correct choice for you.

Whether grip tape will work for you is entirely dependent on how you grip the gun.

Eric,

I don't know about that, but I can tell you I absolutely hated Glocks until I fired one that had your grip tape on it. Then I realized my problem was I just couldn't seem to hang on to the gun. Once I tried it on my one and only Glock I have since acquired 3 more Glocks and they all get TruGrip tape before I even fire them. I am now in love with my Glocks and find that shooting them is a pleasure.

Thanks for coming up with an awesome product.

-Cuz.

Eric,

I don't know about that, but I can tell you I absolutely hated Glocks until I fired one that had your grip tape on it. Then I realized my problem was I just couldn't seem to hang on to the gun. Thanks for coming up with an awesome product.

-Cuz.

+1,000,000,000, etc. etc. etc.

I have extraordinarily dry, chapped, (like 50 grit) hands from work-

Glocks would flop around like a guppy in a frat pledge's mouth until I got your TruGrip.

Tried a Glock with it on, went out, bought a Glock, and your product. One of only 5 mods. I plan to do to it.

Thanks for a great product at an exceptional price.

I have heard great things about TruGrip as you can see in the above posts. I just used regular skateboard tape. It may manicure your hands at first but it does everything I need it to do. I can buy Skateboard tape roll for $5. I may make the TruGrip purchase one day.

Whether you use TruGrip or sketboard tape, it assists when your hands are sweaty or wet.

Glock17w

First i will admit that I have not tried true grip. Agrip has and interesting feel too it but so far I like plain old skate board tape myself.

Interesting I believe both agrip and true grip are both made in washington state. I guess we washingtonians must have slick hands :blink:

I have heard great things about TruGrip as you can see in the above posts. I just used regular skateboard tape. It may manicure your hands at first but it does everything I need it to do. I can buy Skateboard tape roll for $5. I may make the TruGrip purchase one day.

Whether you use TruGrip or sketboard tape, it assists when your hands are sweaty or wet.

Glock17w

Glock17w,

I agree that skateboard tape will work very well indeed. What I have found though is that with TruGrip, my gun looks as good as it shoots. With skateboard tape my guns tend to look like they are somewhat crappy with a hack job tape wrapping. Now that may just be my lack of skill at cutting up the skateboard tape, but for just a few extra bucks I'll take the stylish TruGrip tape every time.

-Cuz.

OK---Someone has to like something else. Guess that's me. Eric's Trugrip is great stuff.

My Limited G35 currently has it, but it's not my favorite. Personally, I like A-grip from

Brooks Tactical. I've got short thumbs. Eric's stuff is almost too good! Grips so well that

I can't shift the gun a bit to hit the mag release without really relaxing my hold.

The Agrip gives me a good firm hold on the gun, even when wet, but it lets me shift

my grip a bit when needed. Downside is that it is NOT cheap, and only lasts about a

year per application. My wife likes it too--especially the purple.

Bill

I'm currently using some grip tape that's used for steps/stairs. Kind of thick, but works. I just ordered Trugrips yesterday for my G35. Ever since I handled a competiters Glock with them I've been in love.

Thanks Eric B)

Cuz,

I agree. I actually spend a lot of time cutting the tape. If it looks bad then I re-cut. TruGrip looks much better than my artist work. I may try TruGrip one day when I geta chance.

glock17w

Guys,

Thanks for the help. I ordered a pack of Tru-Grip last night. I hope I like it.

It just seems that the Glock moves around in my hand more so than other

plastic guns. I have a HK USP .40 that I use for other purposes and it feels like

it has 80 grit sandpaper on its stock grip, but the Glock is just slippery......

Eric W,

That is a stand up post by you. I really appreciate your honesty and not just trying

to sell your product. I already ordered it last night before you posted. But again,

Kudos to you. I would have had to have tried your product just because of your

post. I sure hope I like it when it gets here.

Thanks again,

T

Eric W,

BTW, I and my wife were laughin our @sses off reading your webiste about selling your

dads Ryan. As a pilot myself I thought it was hilarious!

T

To see if you like the feel of grip tape, try 3M's tread tape from your local store.

I've had two strips of the 1" tape around the middle of my G17s grip for months.

The one inch width works best due to the Glock's curvy grip and with two angled cuts at the back of the grip the tape lays flat. Not much trimming involved and it provides enough friction to keep the gun from moving around and still allows you to shift your grip a little if your draw wasn't perfect.

If you want any more coverage get Eric's pre-cut tape. I found it way too much trouble to try and cut it myself.

-Dale

A-55351

I've used the AGrip from Brooks Tactical, which, if you're going to put something on your grip, is the best thing I've ever found. For awhile I was putting ladder tape on the gun. This is the stuff they put on stepladder steps. It's like skateboard tape in that it's a rough material with glue on the back, but unlike skateboard tape which is paper, ladder tape is plastic thus lasts a lot longer. Eventually though I found that the rough material didn't allow my hand to slide into the proper position on the draw. Also I was carrying the gun concealed, and I found that having the rough tape on the outside of the grip, in short order, wore a hole in my vest lining. These days I just shoot the gun "naked" and find that works best of all.

I shoot a XD but a plastic gun is a plastic gun. I use 3M safety walk, but I have a large supply(it fell off the back of a truck). I must admit though, all this talk of this True Grip stuff by some guy named Eric has me intrigued. Is it sand textured or rubber textured?

Edited by theknightoflight

Is it sand textured or rubber textured?

It's sandy, but not too sandy. It's just the right material for a pistol. I used various grip tapes over the years and never stumbled upon the right brand, they were either too harsh and grippy or they crumbled in my hand and didn't last more than a month or two. TruGrip is the right product and now that I've put 4 or 5 Glock pattern TruGrips on, it's quick and easy to get a good fit.

If you have a magwell, trim 1/8 of an inch off the bottom of the TruGrip before fitting. That's really the only tip I'd offer beyond Eric's included instructions.