Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tumble Loaded Ammo?

Meangun

I tumble all of mine i'm a big hornady 1 shot fan. Flex turned me into a freak with this i spray it in a dish pan type rubber maid container spray them then shake and frlip them like a chef on TV gets them well coated, let dry and then add to the case feed.

There is no problem tumbling.. well except the hollow points that were mentioned.. some kernels got between the sear and hammer of my tanfoglio stock... ouch.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I NEVER lube my pistol brass before I load it with the carbide sizing die, and lately my elbow has been starting to hurt. It actually bothers me most when I sit and use the 550 with the ball handle. It doesn't seem to bother me when I stand and use the 650 with the roller handle. Can lubing straight wall pistol cases make that much of a difference? It seems the answer to that just might be yes.

Dave Sinko

The answer is Hell Yes!

• 3 weeks later...
you don't want to tumble any rifle rounds that have been loaded with large extruded grain powders like imr 4350 and such.

Why not??? ;)

Do any of the ammo manufacturers load rifle w/ large extruded grain powders, or only reloaders??? Almost certainly they do... Do they ship ammo that's dirty from having been run through the loading machinery, or does it show up nice and bright and shiny??? How much vibration do you suppose it encounters in the various trucks it gets shipped around on before it gets to you??? How much vibration do you suppose that batch of 4350 that's on your shelf has been through in the process of it ending up on your shelf?? And how much vibration between your house and the place where you shoot?

I'm not saying that throwing the loaded rounds in a tumbler for hours is a great idea... but tumbling a loaded round for 10 minutes or so is not likely at all to cause any issues, especially given the treatment of similar ammo by the ammo manufacturers.....

Seriously - has anyone proven that tumbling loaded rounds is actually a problem - scientifically proven it?? (and aside from getting corn cob in your HP... ;) ).

I tumble everything from 9mm to 30.06 regardless of what powder I use.

I did try Hornady's 1 shot lube this month and will use it from now on unless I can't find it and have to use the Dillon stuff...

Good stuff!

• 2 years later...

Stick em in the gun and shoot em.

Never fussed with them after loading. If there's a magic trick I'm missing, I'm about to learn something new! (I use OneShot)

Edited by Seth

I know that the lube needs to be removed from the shells prior to shooting, as this will ensure that the shell makes a nice tight connection with the chamber when fired. (Bullet movement is always a "No-No" to a shooter)!

I also NEVER tumble over 20 minutes to remove lube. From what I understood (which makes perfectly good sense), the longer you tumble a finished round, the better chance you have of breaking down the powder, hence changing it's properties.

And lastly, I asked for alternatives because I read a thread a little while ago about bullets going OFF when hit.

I have always tumbled my rounds, but I am also curious to learn a safer way...if possible.

In Christ: Raymond

Edited by RaymondMillbrae

Don't tumble rifle ammo with long stick powder. It will make the sticks shorter and can cause much higher pressures when fired.

Do you have any documentation to support that?

If that were the truth we couldn't ship ammo in containers where it would rattle/shake along with a whole bunch of other restrictions....none are in place. As mentioned, ammunition manufacturers tumble their loaded ammo....which is why it's so clean.

I don't tumble, I just use a lube that doesn't require it....pure lanolin on my hands, hands run through bin of cases ready for loading....load and done, no residue and works as well as Hornady One Shot (far better than that actually) or Dillon case lube. R,

If you are not supposed to tumble live rounds, then how do you get the lube off the shell after it is reloaded.

Tumble 'em all you want. Who ever told you that is not a sharp tack ;)

Unless you use JHPs... then it can be a problem, because corn cob can hang out in the hollow point, and then it always seems to drop out at just the wrong time and cause a jam or worse... Since I shoot JHPs, I just dump mine in a towel a couple of handfuls at a time, and rub them around to get the excess lube off (OneShot, which gets sticky and attracts dirt...)

Obviously I'm in the minority of the first bunch of responders, but I haven't found my rounds to be greasy at all. How much lube are you guys using? My cases are barely slippery out of the press after the lube dries.

I seem to recall in the early 90's there was a recall/warning about shooting a particular brand of surplus ammo because it had some corrosion on it and the surplus dealer wanting to make it pretty and shiny for sale, and because he had 1 million+ rounds ofthe stuff used a commercial cement mixer to tumble the loaded ammo, and broke down the stick powders in the ammo, i heard they tested some at HP white labs and it was double the normal pressures found for a .308 cartridge

despite that being said, i dont have a problem tumbling live ammo, hell ive even had a few .22 rounds survive in the dryer....

Obviously I'm in the minority of the first bunch of responders, but I haven't found my rounds to be greasy at all. How much lube are you guys using? My cases are barely slippery out of the press after the lube dries.

It's not much left on them but it's noticable unless they are tumbled. Way too much effort to clean them with a towell.

It's my thinking the any lube left of them will only attract dirt and I don't want any junk in my chamber. I personally believe that a little lube could cause some kind of hydraulic suction in the chamber with the cases... making extraction more difficult- potentially leadning to problems.

Edited by lugnut