Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ar Reloading For Lefties

sslav

Pull fresh mag out with right hand grasping it with the fingers, use right thumb to hit mag release, allow mag to drop out insert fresh mag.

Or if you use mags hooked together as with the Arredondo mag couplers, it's really easy and costs little time, using your right thumb to hit the mag catch while pulling down, and moving the mag over and up.

I prefer to adapt my technique to the gun, rather than adapt the gun to me.

I just installed the Norgin ambi release. It is well worth having. Before I got my ambi release I would slide my right hand straight back to hit the release and go to my mag pouch for a new magazine. This worked well with 20 rounders, but I tend to lift the muzzle when reloading and that would cause 30 rounders to stick in the mag well. That would force me to pull the mag out by hand before inserting the fresh one. With the ambi release I don't seem to lift the muzzle as much, but I still need to work on that, so the mags will fall freely.

SSLAV,

I'm a lefty, and shootin right handed guns is the shiz! I wouldn't get a lefty gun, in any flavor...I'm too used to righties!

Left handed AR mag changes;

Leave left hand on pistol grip, be careful of your trigger finger...

With right hand, grab new mag and bring it forward, push the mag release with your right thumb, seat the new mag.

Quick and easy.

If you use a mag cinch this is the same motion, except for goin to the belt for a new mag.

Make sure your mags drop free, and keep the muzzle down so the mags fall out.

BTW, I was taught by Eric Miller, one of the best out there, who happens to be a lefty!

jj

Is that THE Eric Miller?? I think I saw him once! If you have really seen him you are a rare and lucky individual. Iknow a couple of people that think they saw him also, but we werwe never quite sure.

+1 on the Norgon ambi release. While it offends me that a little itty bitty piece of metal costs that much freaking $$, it is well worth it if your a lefty. If you have to do a standing reload your at a disadvantage with a standard AR mag release.

That said, its rare that you will not have a little time and space available to reload your AR, so even with a normal mag release, you can, practically speaking, reload your AR fast enough to not impact your "shooting time" in a stage. SinistralRifleman's instructions are right on for doing an effective lefty reload. Bring the new mag to the gun with your right hand, smack the release with your thumb, and insert the fresh mag. Its quick and easy with a little practice.

Or get a hi-cap mag and don't reload at all ;)

NUTS, I am a lefty with a dominant right eye. With my Carbon-15 I burn my face every time I shoot it. I have decided to either learn to shoot rt handed or get a Stag. unless there is a cure, mag release with the rt thumb is the s--t.

You should not be getting anything back in your face. Something is wrong, and its not that you are standing on the wrong side of the rifle... :D

The ONLY problem I seem to have is when using the short range sight on the LEFT side of the rifle (at 10 o-clock) I sometimes get hot brass on the inside of my right elbow that may sit there and sizzle. When shooting a short hoser stage I just keep reminding myself that pain is weakness leaving the body...and the faster I go, the quicker I can get that hot little bast#!d off my arm!

jj

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the advice. I've been practicing the right thumb method and am getting much better on reloads.

I have also noticed that since I have to get the trigger finger out of the trigger gard anyway that if I shift it to the bottom of the AR magwell I can get the new mag in a lot easier.

I have a DPMS southpaw version. It is nice not to worry about hot cases in the face or on the arm, inside the shirt collar etc...

Slav

Edited by sslav

• 7 months later...
NUTS, I am a lefty with a dominant right eye. With my Carbon-15 I burn my face every time I shoot it. I have decided to either learn to shoot rt handed or get a Stag. unless there is a cure, mag release with the rt thumb is the s--t.

You should not be getting anything back in your face. Something is wrong, and its not that you are standing on the wrong side of the rifle... :D

The ONLY problem I seem to have is when using the short range sight on the LEFT side of the rifle (at 10 o-clock) I sometimes get hot brass on the inside of my right elbow that may sit there and sizzle. When shooting a short hoser stage I just keep reminding myself that pain is weakness leaving the body...and the faster I go, the quicker I can get that hot little bast#!d off my arm!

jj

Hi JJ...I resemble that statement. I normally wear a long sleeved shirt to avoid that burning on the right arm but at the Nats in Tulsa it was sooo humid I couldn't put that extra shirt on all the time. I now have a lovely set of circles and half-moon marks on the inside of my right arm. How fashionable! :)

STAG indeed seems nice as lefty. But there weren't one around and I wanted to choose which way the shells are flying. Now I have AR that is lefty or righty if situation demands so.

Norgon needs a bit of modification to work with short fingers. ...Or release need to be build from scratch. :D

leftrightyxj9.jpg

-JamShot

• 8 months later...

I have been shooting right handed ARs for over 20 years from the left shoulder and never had a problem just do it, you bolt stop is on one side your mag drop button is on the other I don't hear right handed shooters wanting to switch bolt lock. Just get used to your weapon. I did swithc the safety selector to the left side on mine.

Edited by Topmaul