Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Your Favorite Powder For 9mm Major

Adam B

I have tried power pistol, HS6, true blue and Silhouette. True Blue ran the comp well but was very loud and it hit the hand hard. Not to mention VERY dirty.

I have settled on Silhouette. It is soft and a lot cleaner.

Ktyler

HS-6 and 115g bullets. I wouldn't say that it's soft, but the dot moves the least. Testing fast pairs, the bullets stay very close together. I haven't found a powder that works my comp better and keeps the dot in the center of the glass as well. I've tried everything on the list except 3N38. At some point I'm going to revisit the Longshot and Silhouette to see how they feel after shooting 9major for 2 years.

My major 9mm load....STI trubor..10.1 gr AA7 124 gr zero WSR PRIMER 1380 fps.

THIS LOAD MAY NOT BE SAFE IN SOME 9mm GUNS, ALL 9mm MAJOR LOADS EXCEED

PUBLISHED MAX LOAD DATA!!!

In OUR guns this load shows no sighns of pressure No flat or cratered primers (even with pistol primers)

My oal is 1.175 with zero 124 gr HP

this load is not compressed, but there isnt much room left.

Please use caution and work this load up slowly!

Jim

I use AA#7 and HS-6 with 124 grain CMJ MG bullets powered by Federal Small Rifle primers. Of the two, I like the AA#7 powder better. I think you need a slower burning powder because of the higher pressures caused by the smaller 9mm case capacity compared to 38 Super/Supercomp loads.

Has anyone tried 7625 in major nine with positive and safe results? It worked well when I was using 38 Supercomp loads.

I've been using HS-6, but I was disappointed to see that my original load (8.4 gr., 125 Zero JHP, 1.155") went from from 173PF in the summer heat to around 163PF in the colder weather. Looks like I need at least 8.6gr for winter shooting. I'm hoping to do some experimentation with 3N38 later this year. That's what the gun's builder, JL Hardy, recommends. I'm hoping it will be more consistent in varied climates and cleaner. HS-6 runs the gun OK, but it gunks up the gun a good bit. It's really loud too, but with a shorty gun and a ported barrel, I don't think any powder is quiet! :lol:

For some reason, HS6 is really friendly to 115gr bullets, doesn't add much slap in the hand at the same power factor as 125s. Probably your best bet if you need loads soon.

Going by the book the HS6 loads are way over SAAMI but the pressure spike is very forgiving, guys have been using it & its clone W540 for a long long time without problems.

Having said that I like 3n38 a little more. Have to ease the shellplate around on the Dillon with those loads, case is almost topped off with powder.

Either way, use CCI-SR primers if you can. These loads are very tough on Federal primers.

Jesus, 8.6gr of hs6 with a 124?

I run 8.8gr and 115's and it gets me 1510 fps from my Glock 17.

Commander length barrel and ports, so yeah! Zero 125 JHP, WSR primers, 1.155", no pressure signs at all up to 8.6gr. I used WSP and magnum pistol primers both at 8.4gr. and the primers looked good there too. I am planning to mess around with 3N38, but I know it's gonna be a full case!

Hey AustinMike

I also have a JL Hardy Mongoose that my wife has been shooting and I have decided to shoot it at Doubletap. I ran some 8.6 125 zero JHP across the chrono yesterday (73 degrees). They were loaded short 1.135 and they made 168.8 PF. The exact same load loaded out to 1.175 was 163.2. Go Figure

I talked to JL back when I picked up the gun for my wife and if I remember right he recommended 9.1 grns of 3N38. I have 4 pounds of it sitting around so I might give it a try.

Edited by Azone41

Hey AustinMike

I also have a JL Hardy Mongoose that my wife has been shooting and I have decided to shoot it at Doubletap. I ran some 8.6 125 zero JHP across the chrono yesterday (73 degrees). They were loaded short 1.135 and they made 168.8 PF. The exact same load loaded out to 1.175 was 163.2. Go Figure

I talked to JL back when I picked up the gun for my wife and if I remember right he recommended 9.1 grns of 3N38. I have 4 pounds of it sitting around so I might give it a try.

I like the 3N38 in my Hardy Mongoose much better than HS-6

Hey AustinMike

I checked with My Chrono data. In My Hardy open gun, I had to go to 9.3 of 3N38 to get to about 170pf, where I wanted to be so I had a comfortable margine. It was in colder weather though, so you may find a little different.

The negative using 3N38 is the HUGE fireball that comes out of the comp.

I have to admit, I do have SP2 that I am using now.

Carl

Edited by Carl