Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Oversized Mag Buttons

Dusty

I don't use one and I know that many of the top guys don't have them. A tenth on a mag change dosen't make up for accidentally dropping one mag in a match.

+1

I used one in my rookie days. Thought I couldn't live without one. Then I ordered a new custom gun and forgot to tell my smith to put one on. Then I got the gun and realized it didn't have one so I ordered one. By the time the tapped mag release arrived I realized I hadn't missed it and I DEFINITELY didn't miss the occasional dropped mag, especially weak hand.

I use one on my singlestack but I can't use them on my double stack. I hit it with my weak hand and drop mags. I really hate it when that happens so my SV has a drilled and tapped mag release with no button. The last time I saw my button it was flying over a berm.

I'm kind of surprised that so many people have this problem. I've used one for years on my Glocks ( 17 / 22 / 24 / 35) and I have one now on my Open STI. NEVER have dropped a mag accidently by pressing on the button somehow with one hand or another. Now table starts are a different story. I used to slap the gun, while trying to pick it up and *TADA* .......... Bang - Click - Whoops! :rolleyes:

That won't be a problem now. Between the slide-racker & the Dawson Ice magwell there enough room to drive a short-bus underneath the grip while it's lying on a table.

I was wondering if the top grandmasters are using them? I haven't tried one, but they look like they might get bumped by accident and drop a mag. Any comments?

I'm also suprised at how many people are having problems with them. I've got them on all of my match guns except for one and I have never once had a mag drop that wasn't supposed to.

I even have slightly oversized mag releases on two of my carry guns and those have never caused a problem either...and I carry all day, every day. The third carry gun doesn't have one because it might be an issue in my ankle rig.

Same comments as Chris Keen and Flatlander.

I actually use my middle finger under the trigger guard to hit the release, so I don't have to do the big shift to use my thumb that my small hands would need otherwise. I use a slightly larger than standard button (I think it's made by Ed Brown).

I made the mistake of using a "blink and the mag drops" super light catch spring in the beginning. Dropped the mag occasionally with bad weak hand grips or coming down too hard on the gun on table top starts. That has gone away with a combination of practice, improved technique and a heavier (but still lighter than standard) catch spring.

Depending on your technique, anatomy and particular gun setup, YMMV.

Kevin C.

Edited by kevin c

With short thumbs and Para frame, that silly a$$ button is a "must have". If I was dropping the magazines inadvertantly at the wrong time, I'd consider going to a slightly heavier spring. Brownells sells Wolff kits that contain several strength mag release springs.

Bill

I have short thumbs too but my perception is the distance/travel to the mag release was increased with the button. It's a Caspian frame so it's a little different (long/narrow vs. short/wide).

FM

I use one on my singlestack but I can't use them on my double stack. I hit it with my weak hand and drop mags. I really hate it when that happens so my SV has a drilled and tapped mag release with no button. The last time I saw my button it was flying over a berm.

... and I don't use light mag release springs.

I put one on my Para p-16. It needed it, and it worked great. I never had an accidental mag drop with a pistol. Thats a problem with practice and technique. I use a S&A ambi mag release on my single stack and that is nice also. very easy to hit with trigger finger and the thumb side is regular size. My current limited gun came from the factory with an extended and slightly oversize button and it works great. I think extended is better than bigger in diamater for my hand size.

Just from watching Big Button shooters in many many matches, it looks like Limited guns [no racker] are 100 times more likely to spit the mag out on table starts, and 10x more likely to spit, just from the recoil twisting the gun into the left-hand palm - compared to Open guns.

I was playing with "the Flip" the other day just to see what it's like - never had to do it because my thumbs are long. Anyway the Flip to reach the mag button with the middle finger seemed a little more difficult than the Flip to use the thumb.

BUT, the Flip to get the gun back into a shooting grip went a lot quicker and easier [for me] when using the middle finger. If you have to flip the gun I'd try both ways & use a timer.

I use the dawson lo-pro mag buttons on both my open and limited guns. I also have the brazos big mouth magwell on both. When you put them on the table it rest on the safety,magwell and front of the slide. I also reload like Kevin C. middle finger under the trigger guard. I have never had one drop from picking it off a table or shooting. I have seen more of the paddle type buttons causing problems.

post-3621-1169392158.jpg

post-3621-1169392184.jpg

post-3621-1169392230.jpg

Edited by gmshooter

Uhh... Get a paddle style mag release and mill about .050 off the bottom of the paddle and then screw it to the release. Relieve the grip to allow a full stroke. The paddle (or button) is then below the grip level and can't be accidentally activated on a table start but still allows release of a mag without a grip shift. :)

I can't run a bigger button on a Para without dropping the mag every few shots.

They call him Flipper, Flipper, faster than lightning,

No-one you see, is smarter than he,

And we know Flipper, lives in a world full of wonder,

Flying there-under, under the sea!

:D:D

I've tried flipping using the thumb and just using the weak hand thumb. In Idpa the weak hand thumb works the best for me because most of the time you have to retain the mag any way. Those are the only way I can reach the mag release with my stubby fingers and thumbs. Wish I had giant monkey hands but alas I do not.

wide 45

did you look at the lo pro from dawson for your para?

Nope. Removed the button I had on it, learned the flip. Never looked back. The slow part of my reload is getting the fresh mag.

:mellow:

Edited by wide45

Im only a lowly B class shooter but I took my LowPro button off and replaced it with a paddle. I have short thumbs and so far its working for me. Have not done any table starts yet but it shouldnt be any different than with the LowPro as far as that goes. If you use your left hand and lift the gun into your right hand, it works well.

I used to have a small oversized magazine button from the SVI factory.

I suffered a few dropped magazines in the following 1.5 years that cost me a local championship or 2.

Ya know, you'd think I'd learned from after my first dropped magazine. But, being a German, I kind of tend to be hard headed.

Well, I had two such instances during the Minnesota sectional championship that FINALLY convinced me to at least switch buttons.

I landed a Dawson Lo Pro magazine button that works PERFECT for me. I dont have the longest fingers in the world so, I need the button.

I switched to the Dawson magazine button just before last years nationals and the piece of mind I had during the lay down the pistol stages was outstanding!! I didn't have to divide my attention from what I needed to do and worry about the magazine flying out of the pistol.

If you absolutely need one, get the Dawson Lo Pro. It's a nice addition.