Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Avatar

Bill Nesbitt

I'm going to shoot my Model 10 in 2007 so I thought I should change my Avatar. :D

Here's a couple of better pics.

You'd have to be crazy to shoot that at a match!

Wait..........this is the revolver forum. We are all crazy

Anybody who doesn't think that you can shoot one of those out to 25 yards or beyond should shoot with the guy who got me started on this. He was a New York transit cop for 20 years and got extra days off for qualifying at certain levels with his Model 10. And, he liked his days off!!!!

+1 on accuracy at distance with these.

Using a Model 10 & a Model 65 I used to demonstrate for new shooters by shooting poppers at 100 yards.

5 out of 6 accuracy is normal. There is a definite time lag, and the round when it hits won't put 'em down, but they do ring nice. Another bonus is that there are all these dime sized and shaped slugs laying around the base of the popper.

Good luck with that Bill. Now you probably have caused a retro equipment race. Next Carmoney will pull out a SAA just to keep up.

Bill - Isn't that the same one you had rebuilt and had retired? :P Hate to see what it'll look like after all the draws. Shoot, I switched all my cylinder release latches to the new style; now I feel like a gamer!

Bill's my hero. He's an old guy who uses retro equipment to whup the tar out of the young'uns. I'm two thirds of the way there...I'm an old guy who uses retro equipment... :)

I'll try to answer everybody's questions. :)

This Model 10 was shot loose once and rebuilt by Al Greco at www.alscustom.com He replaced the barrel, re-timed it and did an action job. The new barrel was slotted for a pinned front sight and he cut down an SDM sight to the correct height. The rear sight notch has been widened to .160". The DAO trigger measured 6 3/4 # when I got it back. It will set off CCI rifle primers. B) I cut down a spare strain screw that set the pull at 5 1/2 # and it will set off Federal primers 100%. B) I just put the wood grips on for the pictures. I shoot it with Hogue rubber grips.

The sight picture is pretty good but not as good as a taller picture. It will do for close work. ;) I was doing 25 yard head shots the other day. :lol: It starts to drop a little past 50 yards.

Cliff, I am a gamer. I use those Bubberized cut down Comp III's.

Chuck, careful about that old guy stuff. I'm can't start drawing Social Security until Nov 2007. And I'm looking forward to it. Think of all the time I will have to practice then. :D

Flex, I think I need to start shooting faster and speading the shots out a little. ;)

Bill - What disciplines are you planning to use your 3" model 10 for (ICORE, USPSA, IDPA,...)? What type of holster do you use for it? What is your load - have you had any problems making the minimum power factor with it? I have been using my 3" Model 13 for USPSA and ICORE. It has been a challenge to find a good load using plated bullets. I have one that works but it right on the edge for USPSA matches. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Nice job on the model 10. I have been looking for a 3" model but haven't had any luck yet.

Steelshooter3,

I'll be shooting mostly IDPA with an occasional local USPSA match.

Right now I'm using a Berry 158 grain plated bullet with Bullseye powder. Check some of the older bullet manufacturers manuals. My load is a little heavier than listed in the Alliant data. I have seen no signs of pressure and the brass almost drops out, no sticking at all. I just chronoed some the other day at 130 power factor.

Before I had the gun rebuilt I was shooting 147 grain 9mm bullets with Bullseye. I probably ran 50,000 rounds of that load through the gun besides what else I shot and it was a used gun when I got it. I don't think the load hurt it.

A lot of people say Bullseye is dirty but I use it because it leaves no unburnt powder at all.

Bill, those are a coupla' NICE-lookin' "Roundguns"!!! Very "Tricky", that cut-down SDM front sight...

How difficult was it to get Al Greco to work on your gun? I ask because a friend from PA told me that Greco was one of the better S&W "Tuners" around, IF you could get him to work on your gun...not exactly sure WHAT he meant by that?!?!....mikey357

Bill,

Nice looking piece!! Can't wait to get up there and shoot with you a match or a few this year! I'm still looking for a 4" model 10, my deal fell through :( I got a model 66 for the GF, and now she will be pretty well setup, just my turn now! I'll find one sometime soon hopefully!

Bill - Thanks for the reload info. I have been using Clays powder with 158 gr plated Ranier RN bullet. I'll give your load a try. I used to use Bullseye with a lead 125 gr TC Redline bullet for a steel load. Extremely accurate but more smoky/messy than the Clays/Rainier combination.

Interested in what type of holster you are using for IDPA? I am currently using an older model Blade-tech belt holster - lots of room if ever I put a fiber optic front sight on. Can you use a leather holster with it without banging up the front sight. Also what type of speedloader holder are you using for IDPA? I've been asked by a young man who is just starting to compete in IDPA with a 4" model 19. I use a Safariland triple 333 holder for ICORE and USPSA but have been told you can't use this in IDPA. Thanks again!

Speedshooter3, I'm also using an older Blade-Tech holster. It's for a 4 inch K-Frame so I can use the same holster for different guns. :) I've never had it in a leather holster with these sights but I don't think it would be a problem. They are no higher than stock sights.

I'm currently using speedloader holders from www.pistolpacking.com Unfortunatly I think his success has him behind in getting orders filled. I have also used the Blade-Tech speedloader holders and find them to be good also. I have heard of people cutting the 333holders down into a double and a single.

Mikey357, I'm not sure if Al is still doing gunsmith work or not. He did this revolver for me a couple of years ago and he said his on-line business was doing so good he didn't have time to work on guns. :( You could always call him and see.

Richie, hope to meet you at a match soon. Good job getting your GF a gun first. Gotta keep them happy. :D