Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dirtypool40

dirtypool40

That creepy little alien has fubar'd all the genre's of movies I used to love, Top Gun, Collateral, MI-3, and maybe worst..... Color of Money. There were lots of good bits to that movies though, and yes, I still watch it sometimes.

Wanna see Tom Cruise's character in real life? Look up Dennis Hatch vs. Buddy Hall in the 2001 US Open. Hatch looks just like "Vincent Lauria" and plays his ass off at 20 years old.

Even though Tom is a tool I still LOVE that movie! It will always be a classic.

• 4 months later...
  • Replies 353
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Eric, I am glad that you are back. I can't wait for you to get to the range. I know it will result in a great new thread about something I need to learn.

I took a class from Eric this fall. He sure opened my eyes to the sum of the little things equaling big savings at the end. Now if I could only dance.

• 2 months later...

Still mostly playing pool...

Had my first "perfect" match in at least 15 years this past weekend. It was a short race at a local tourney, but I would compare it to having a solid GM score in a field course.

It was only a race to four, but...

I didn't miss a ball, I broke and ran out one rack, and in four games my opponent got to kick twice and decline a push once.

Right now it's a simple cocobola "Merry Widow" a buddy built for me.

But I have traded away two custom guns and have....

....4 custom playing cues, a Break cue, a dedicated Jumper, and a couple nice custom leather cases on the way.

Check out the sketces, remind you of a shooter scribbling out their latest custom gun idea? I can wax on about any one of them and "WHY", and will as soon as I have pics to post.

For example; #1 is a modification of a bushka design I saw years ago, #2 is an homage to a rare ebony Hoppe, #3 is a re-pro of a Scruggs I never should have sold 18 years ago, #4 is a cue I've been in love with but never owned for TWENTY years (based on what legend claims was the last Bushka completed), :wacko:

Of course they are all getting the same pin, balance and joint dimensions, so I can mix and match for that magic combination. :cheers:

Yeah, I got it bad..... again. :rolleyes:

post-551-1236743490_thumb.jpg

post-551-1236743533_thumb.jpg

post-551-1236743604_thumb.jpg

post-551-1236743716_thumb.jpg

post-551-1236743765_thumb.jpg

post-551-1236743813_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The players run about $1500 per.

Anything off a custom cue makers lathe starts around $400 for a plain jane player, anything with points starts around a grand. I like pretty conservative, classic, simple designs, but it's not uncommon to see price tags of $5k and up with a big name.

It's kinda like guns; the right player could win ANYTHING with $300 worth of wood in the bag, but you can spend what you want on looks and a big name.

Edited by dirtypool40

• 4 weeks later...

Just stopping by to say hi and update my "diary".

The team I'm on won our city's "POWER LEAGUE" this past week.

I played pretty solid, and the other team actually said they were going to call HQ on me, because I didn't belong in the league. :roflol: This is the POWER league boys, you're supposed to be a player to be here. I'm not a freakin' champ, but ok, I played solid. I wonder if we had lost would you have felt the same way?

Overall I went 8-1 in "POWER LEAGUE", breaking and running at least one rack each of my last four matches. The only match I lost, we BOTH played awful and I lost 7-6, or as we say "hill-hill". I had my chances and just dogged it.

I am 4-0 in the handicapped 8-ball league (BCA or APA I think) and went 8-0 in handicapped 9-ball last session. I don't understand either very well, so I just play my ass off until the guy stands up and shakes my hand.

So far (hope I didn't jinx it) I'm 20-1 in matches. :cheers:

Pool cues are on the way!!!

• 1 month later...

just stopping in to say hey to my buds.

Times are still lean, but I miss you guys.

I tend to quietly go away and be by myself at times like this. No one has done anything to run me off, on the contrary, everyone has been great and I get nice emails and PM's from time to time.

I'm still not shooting, although the guys around the office have been leaning on me to help them buy and learn the basics, so I have been to the indoor range a couple times.

I bought a nice little Kahr PM-9. I'm not that involved anymore, but DAMN, that has to be one of the best 24/7 carry guns going; "40%" more BB's than a J-frame and I can actually hold it properly and hit with it.

I've been playing better pool lately, feel like I am finally moving past where I was years ago. I always hesitate to say it, but I might just be playing the best I ever have. The even better part is, it doesn't feel like I'm "there" yet, and have plenty of room to grow.

I'm behind the "age curve" on really getting to the top tier, but with some slow, consistent involvement and improvement, I can enjoy a repsectable level for quite a while.

Cues are still on the way. Here's some pics of the "blanks" (roughly equivelant to our "slide, frame barrel fit") as they come together.

Yes, that is real ivory.

Yes, that is real elephant skin for the wrap. :rolleyes:

post-551-1245166107_thumb.jpg

post-551-1245166124_thumb.jpg

post-551-1245166170_thumb.jpg

Thanks bud :cheers:

Speaking of (we used to talk about exercise stuff...) I've lost about 20# and am sssssssssssssslowly trying to trade fat for muscle, aren't we all? LOL

I'm 185# for the first time since I was a senior in High School.

And I'd love to be shooting, but the finances just aren't there. Pool doesn't really cost me anything, maybe $10 a night and I have always loved that game.

• 2 weeks later...