Dirtypool40

dirtypool40

• Replies 353
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So far a lackluster match on my part. Just not clicking. There's half the match left though and I will be ready to fight for every "A" tomorrow. Eventually the real me will show up. Till then I'll just keep doing the best I can at the beep.

And by the way, don't bother spending a dime to see "Shoot 'em up". We did this evening and it's the most anti-gun gun movie I've ever seen.

Peace out. :cheers:

So far a lackluster match on my part. Just not clicking. There's half the match left though and I will be ready to fight for every "A" tomorrow. Eventually the real me will show up. Till then I'll just keep doing the best I can at the beep.

And by the way, don't bother spending a dime to see "Shoot 'em up". We did this evening and it's the most anti-gun gun movie I've ever seen.

Peace out. :cheers:

That is very interesting. You should start a thread about this one.

• 4 weeks later...

Been almost a month since I posted in my range diary, a long time for me.

I was down about the Nationals; I have a ton of excuses, like everyone but the truth is I just didn't shoot well, and oddly enough, when you don't shoot well against that field, you don't finish well. That being said I learned a lot, got to shoot with some monsters, and will be back, better next match, and next year.

I took about three weeks off, and now have the faintest glimmer of a spark for shooting back. We have the Monster Match and Sectional coming up, and I want to finish the year strong in them before I look at a longer break.

I literally haven't even unpacked my shooting bag from the nationals, but today was Titusville, the best local match in Florida, so I grabbed my bag and headed to the range. I was almost like a first timer, I forgot my cleats, my hat, and had to scrounge things all day. In spite of that I had a BLAST, remembered how fun this sport is and shot pretty well in spurts. I ended the day on a down note, dropping two un-called mikes on open targets, but still I was winning stages, and ended up HOA for the match, beating an Open M by 6+%.

There's something to this "have fun" thing isn't there? :rolleyes:

I may try to get out and practice this week, we have Malabar next weekend, then the Monster match, a week off and the sectional.

Nationals "after action" to follow.

Good to be back :cheers:

Getting amped for the Monster Match next weekend, so I gotta find a way to get out and practice a few times. Killer new trigger job from Paul W. Time to wring it out!!!

Edited by dirtypool40

Had a blast at Malabar today. I was HOA Limited by about 17% and missed beating the Open guys by less than 2%, or any one of the mikes, missed reloads or WAY too many extra shots on steel. :rolleyes:

Several of these were bigass "Monster Match" style stages, and I hung in there, had a lot of fun, and I'm hanging on to that feeling. Right now, I am not sweating the smalls, and I'm just letting the spark of challenging fun seep back into my shooting.

Light solo Practice Tuesday 10/16. Mostly step backs, and some light plate work. I love the trigger job PaulW did on my gun.

Mom's in the hospital for a heart thing, trying to get approved for a hip replacement, so I'm down there the rest of the week. No practice, but I am still stoked for the Monster Match this weekend.

Venri says I should have a new pistole to test drive.

Light solo Practice Tuesday 10/16. Mostly step backs, and some light plate work. I love the trigger job PaulW did on my gun.

Mom's in the hospital for a heart thing, trying to get approved for a hip replacement, so I'm down there the rest of the week. No practice, but I am still stoked for the Monster Match this weekend.

Venri says I should have a new pistole to test drive.

Prayers for you Mom. Hope everything goes well for her. Good luck at the match.

Had a blast this weekend shooting Smitty's Monster match. I was HOA Limited, but kinda up, down and all over the place. I"m still not settled into smooth again, but I am having a blast and I guess that counts for something.

I think I had two decent smooth runs. Other than that it was mikes, dropping mags, extra shots and general mayhem. Last year I dropped ALL my mags on one stage, this year I had a solid run going and dropped my last mag "out of the box" had to retrieve it and step back in to finish. The gun ran 100% though, which is exactly what I expected.

I had a blast on "R&R" (stage 5 I think) where we started holding a "minimum of two" sticky rubber eyeballs facing uprange. I asked Sharyn how many shooters had thrown the eyeballs at Andy, and she said "none", so I grabbed two HANDFULS of eyeballs. At the beep I yelled "CATCH!!" and threw them at Andy as I turned to draw.

It was AWESOME!!!! :cheers: I ended up winning the stage too, so there IS room for humor in IPSC. :goof:

Short, light practice with newly minted Master Matt Jones aka Blackbird today. Just 100 rounds or so of horsing around, but it was good to get out.

Most of it was shooting across a ten round array mixing close, far and partials. Good stuff.

Lackluster local at CFRPC this past weekend. I was HOA Lim but dogged the steel stage and lost HOA for the match to newly minted "M" Matt Jones. <Congrats btw>.

The highlite (if there was one) of the match was the El Prez-ish stage, with a partial in the center and running it twice, once at abour five yards, once at fifteen.

My draw and load on the close one were EXACTLY the same at 1.01 (not bad for a turn and draw for me, even at 5y) and at 15y, I hit one of the best in match reloads I can remember. Turn and draw was a 1.43 but I smoked the load at 1.22 and shot good points to win the stage overall.

Sectional coming up this weekend and I am looking forward to that match.

more to come.....

You forgot to mention I had to use an Open gun and big stick to win by 3%.

Place Name Class Division PF Lady For Age Points Stg %

1 Matt J M Open Major N N 511.0564 100.00%

2 Eric S GM Limited Major N N 493.7289 96.61%

You forgot to mention I had to use an Open gun and big stick to win by 3%.

Place Name Class Division PF Lady For Age Points Stg %

1 Matt J M Open Major N N 511.0564 100.00%

2 Eric S GM Limited Major N N 493.7289 96.61%

It was that same ole plate rack stage that did me in, I dropped 30 points there, and only lost the match by 18. You'd think I'd learn about extra shots on the plate rack.

Stage: 3 Bing Bing Bang

Place Name No. Class Division Pts Pen Time Hit Fact Stg Pts Stg %

1 Jones, Matt 47 M Open 122 0 14.94 8.1660 135.0000 100.00%

2 Friedman, Greg 43 M Open 130 0 16.19 8.0296 132.7450 98.33%

3 De Gracia, Jeff 5 M Production 125 0 18.17 6.8795 113.7316 84.25%

4 Martin, Deon 51 B Open 129 0 19.50 6.6154 109.3655 81.01%

5 Stanley, Eric 32 GM Limited 130 0 20.36 6.3851 105.5582 78.19%

That being said, you shot a solid match, and deserve the win. I fell back into old, lazy habits, and was not all there the first few stages, but won the last two. I started on #1 so it's easy to track. But overall, I never got into high gear, and that's what it takes to beat an OPEN MASTER. You won that match, by shooting quicker and better points. bien hecho. :cheers:

Had fun at the FL Sectional today. Kinda rocky, started and ended with a Mike, but had a lot of fun.

Good solid stages, no real options, just stand on your hind legs and shoot. Best weather we've had in ages.

I'll post more when I've heard scores.

Edited by dirtypool40

Got out today for maybe 150 rounds of light practice. Looks like I might head down to S FL this weekend to pick up my 6" gun and shoot with Jay Townsend.

After last weekend's poor showing I wish I had more fire and time to practice, but as they say no one goes to a fight 100% you go how you are.

Hoping for better staying power this weekend, more fire, and FUN.

Didn't make it to S FL this weekend, Master's work got in the way. Damn I hate Priorities. <_<

Anyhoo, I haven't had a new gun in two years, and it sounds like my shiny new sex-ilicious 6" is ready from Venry, and I should have it in my hands Tuesday. :goof:

Initial reports from those that saw it this weekend are good and I am really optimistic. I've lost the fire as late, and it's time to empty my cup and start over with a new pistole'.

In other news I'll be running my first ever course tomorrow. Small group, focus on fundamentals, sort of "grinding the stone" for the off season. I did some instruction at my last job, but this is the first time I've ever just put somthing together on my own. Wish me luck!! :cheers:

Got out to work with a small group. Good solid day working fundamentals.

We built grip and draw, then did step backs to 35y. We worked reloads, a work up on partials then position entry work. We built up from a bill drill to a demi prez, to a vice prez. Demo-ing the drill I hit a 4.10 VP @ 10y with an .81 draw and a .82 load, which is a good run for me, esp in the "off" season and out of practice.

We ended the day with some bianchi plates.

All in all, a long tough day, but good work I needed.

Talked to Venry, he wants to tweak a little more <_< so the new gun should ship out mid week.

Edited by dirtypool40

2nd day with the class, I had a blast and learned a lot. Teaching is great training.

We did my old "3 windows drill" for shooting on the move, blast off reloads, and "adequate" sight picture testing plus lots of fundamental review. I'm still waiting on feedback, but everyone seemed to have fun.

Got out today to teach another class, and got to test fire the new 6" gun from Venry. This thing is INCREDIBLY nice.

Also of note I switched to a brand new CR Speed from "Red Dot Shooting" in anticipation of the new gun. When I Demo'ed the draw for the class I was a little tentative, with some residual fears of dropping the gun from a "race holster" and not having the feel for it like I did my DOH. In spite of that I hit four or five in a row with the 5" gun averaging around .75, which is CRAZY fast for me. I have seen a .7x on the timer in a loooooooooong time.

So, to that end once I get the 6" gun settled in, I am actually going to begin dry firing again in earnest and see what can be made of it. I have good numbers for a "draw test". Averaging 5.0 hf means a 1.00 draw for an A. If I improve on that it will surely mean there's something to the race holster or light 6".

Anyway, just kinda noting it for the ole' range diary.

Edited by dirtypool40