Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

My S&j Major 9 Review

lrjet

First off I am just an average club shooter unlike many rated shooters on this forum. Customer service, you can’t ask for any better from both Steave and John-other post will back that up. Fit/finish is what I expected first rate. The slide fit is as good and tight as my Wilson Super Comp – when you dry fire the trigger the rear slide stays locked no movement--lockup tight and consistent. I love the stippling, great grip and the magwell locks my hand in. Trigger is very nice mine broke just above 2 ½ pounds. C-More mount is clean and tight no interference with my ghost holster. John number stippled my 5 magazines, nice. The race gun is so light and quick no comparison to my Tripp. Accuracy is what I hoped for. This is the first time I shot the 17 at 25 yards was able to get ¾ inch groups and if I throw out a flyer the best just under .600. My biggest concern was accuracy compared to my custom 1911 and I laid that to rest. I am very happy with my major nine just a fun platform to shoot. Included are pictures of the race gun and a few groups. Just wish I was out of the Iowa winter season so I can shoot it more.

Love that group size.

From what I've seen, Johnnie has the only system for frame mounting a red dot on the Glock that is accurate enough for me, like less than 1.5 at 25y.

My open guns all throw a 1st-round flyer - still accurate enough but you see it. Had pretty good luck with locking the slide back, loading a stoker mag, and hitting the slide stop to load the chamber. Shrinks the flyer distance in half. You might try that & see if it helps.

Have fun with that & make sure you razz guys like me picking up our Super brass.

The load that I used was 5.6 WSF and 5.3 N340. I am just trying loads new to 9mm. John told me about WSF and N340 worked well in my 38 Super. I really like Hornady XTP that's what I shot the group with 115 and 124. Here is the pic of the eject side. You are right on the brass and 38 Super. I tried Zero's, HAP's but XTP's just work, again I am just starting out on loads--its the gun.

Have you considered the Taylor Freelance plus 10? I have found them to work rather well especially with the NFML magazines since they will drop free and they meet the 170mm USPSA magazine length for Open. I use Arredondo for everything else.

What a gat! Everytime someone here gets theirs that means mine moves up the list a notch.

I noticed that John is listing a 170MM mag with Arredondo bases at 29 rounds. That will be something I will have to have I'm sure. I love the 140mm that Arredondo makes, reliable, secure, easy to clean.

David C

Eric,

I can get 29 in my Taylor setup but it is a real pain to clean if it hits the dirt. It MUST be cleaned if it hits the dirt or it WILL malfunction. More so when using heavy bullets (147 gr) which is my preferred method.

I clean EVERY mag that gets in the dirt but that is a personal hygiene thing. The soil on some ranges is more problematic than others. The turf at the Tampa Bay Suncoast Pistol Club's range is about the only place I have ever shot where that would not be a problem.

David C

Having to rely on the kindness of gunshiths and not knowing how to fix S_I problems has kept me out of the Open game...but my God! 9 major, 30 rounds at the beep...and Glock?

I may have to revise my holiday gift list! :D

Edited by Pharaoh Bender

Having to rely on the kindness of gunshiths and not knowing how to fix S_I problems has kept me out of the Open game...but my God! 9 major, 30 rounds at the beep...and Glock?

I agree. But let's not forget the 3k+ price tag for the S_I.

Joe

Thats cool looking. I bet it shoots fast, flat and soft.

I like the appearance of the 17. Mainly going to shoot steel so wont run the high loads to work the comp. Really notice the light weight for a race gun. Ran 300 rounds of N320 4.2gr and it ran flawless yesterday. Just fun to shoot and different.

Thats cool looking. I bet it shoots fast, flat and soft.

I like the appearance of the 17. Mainly going to shoot steel so wont run the high loads to work the comp. Really notice the light weight for a race gun. Ran 300 rounds of N320 4.2gr and it ran flawless yesterday. Just fun to shoot and different.

What bullet did you use?

Nick

Nick: I used Hornady 124gr XTP 4.2 N320 OAL 1.145. I could duplicate the tight groups as the pictured in original post. For some reason HAP's didnt group as well I thought they would, still want to work with the HAP's. Had good luck with Zero 115 so will have to try their heavier ones.

I agree. But let's not forget the 3k+ price tag for the S_I.

Joe

Because a full house Open Glock is soooo much cheaper? (I'm sure I'll get a less than fruitful response to that but for the record it's a rhetorical question)

Edited by uscbigdawg

I know people like to think that the Glock is cheaper, and it is- by about $300 give or take your choice of gunsmith/manufacture. Food for thought. :unsure:

519-960.jpg

Pistol/STI, Trubore, 9mm

Price: $2,375.10

IMG_0026-1.JPG

Glock IPSC Open Major AL 9mm

PRICE: $1,574.75 + Glock 17: $500+/- = $2,074.75 TOTAL